1950's Fashion Show Cake?

Decorating By Confectioners_Conundrum Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm by Jeannem

Confectioners_Conundrum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #1 of 7

I have been asked byt the local Chamber of Commerce to make a cake to be given as a door prize for a "Ladies about town/ Fashion Show" with a 50's theme. Got any ideas? I was thinking of doing something like Audrey Hepburn's hat from "My Fair Lady", big and feathery...or maybe something that looks like Marilyn Monroe's pink dress from "Gentelmen prefer blondes". Something feminen and glamorus!

6 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 11:38am
post #2 of 7

Why not research the designers of that era, instead? Edith Head did many wardrobe designs for so many films during that era. Or how about the classic looks of Coco Chanel?

How about the looks of Lucille Ball in I Love Lucy?

And then, there's the birth of Barbie, who came to us in 1959. There is a retro set of Barbie Dolls, complete with the catalog of that time. Find the one with the black dress and pony tail. She's the re-make of the original.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:01pm
post #3 of 7

Poodle skirts!

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Poodle skirts!

not trying to be rude but as a rockabilly i feel the need to say there was so much more to 50's then poodle skirts that's what pre teen wore. audrey is always a good one. pencil dresses, lovely evening gowns and my fave with summer right around the corner is play suits.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:51am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Poodle skirts!

not trying to be rude but as a rockabilly i feel the need to say there was so much more to 50's then poodle skirts that's what pre teen wore. audrey is always a good one. pencil dresses, lovely evening gowns and my fave with summer right around the corner is play suits.

Amen DisneyDreamer! I'm a rockabilly too and the 50's had a sleek, clean looks. I would think that with what is requested, something more "designer" would do!

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 7

You know what I was thinking? Maybe sounds weird, but I still have my Barbie from the 50's and she said some really cool outfits.
She always had hats, gloves and shoes that matched. Just an idea.

Good luck
Melissa

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 7

Patchwork Cutters has their "fashion girl" that could easily be used. Don't forget the matching hat, gloves, purse and shoes.
I think the hat from My Fair Lady would look more "turn of the century" than 50s.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%