Need Help Fast!!

Decorating By angelbaby612 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 4:42pm by xstitcher

angelbaby612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbaby612 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 12

I am making a football field cake (due tomorrow) and Im making RI letters for the end zone. The problem is the RI isnt getting hard. Its been 5 or 6 hours now. Am I just being impatient? HELP!! icon_cry.gif

11 replies
hallow3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hallow3 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 12

Ok, Is the RI on the cake already? or laid out to dry on parchement? Is the RI really runny like soup? that could mean that the RI got grease or oil when you made it and there is no recovery that I know of to fix that but to start over. I have made RI flowers and they have taken up to 48 hours to dry. Try a very small amount on wax paper, very thin and see if it dries quickly within 30 mins pick it up and see what it does.

angelbaby612 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelbaby612 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 12

I piped it onto wax paper that is on a baking sheet (for Stability). Its not runny, it's just not hard enough to pick it up.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 12

lay the cookie sheet in the oven with the light on, it will just be slightly warm in there and speed up the drying.

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #5 of 12

I have never tried the oven but once to speed up drying roses I put them in the freezer. I left them in for about 10 or 15 minutes and they were hard enough to move easily.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:07am
post #6 of 12

the freezer would work for buttercream but not RI letters, done like colour flow, you need to dry them out, evaporate the water, so a little heat from the light in the oven will do that.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:22am
post #7 of 12

I would suggest a fan. I would be afraid the slightest heat would soften and melt the crispness of it and kind of make it sink into a puddle...?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 5:12am
post #8 of 12

I'm with sticking the RI in the oven with the light on, it worked great for me with my flowers.

sadsmile Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:22pm
post #9 of 12

To those who suggest the oven light trick. Do you have a gass oven or elecrtic oven? I am wondering if that makes a difference.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:30pm
post #10 of 12

No, because the lightbulb generates the heat, not the type of system used.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 12

Won't a pilot light generate heat as it is a flame? My thinking is... adding the light buld heat to the pilot light would be more heat then just the lightbulb in and electric. Just thinking-though I haven't had my coffee yet. icon_wink.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12

Mine was electric, never used a gas oven so I'm not sure if/how the pilot light would add heat or not. Definitely something that makes you go hmmmm.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%