Cake Recipes That "aren't Very Sweet"?

Baking By jennafezz Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm by KoryAK

jennafezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennafezz Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 3

Hello,

I'm new to the cake decorating world, and I got a request for a wedding cake, but the bride wants it to be "not very sweet". Does anyone know of ways to make traditional recipes or box cake mixes not as sweet, or does anyone know some basic chocolate/vanilla/red velvet recipes for not-too-sweet cake?

I was thinking of adding sour cream or plain yogurt.. am I on the right track?

2 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 3

Hi and Welcome to CC, jennafezz. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Adding sour cream or yogurt, or using a recipe with those ingredients generally results in a cake that is more moist - not necessarily less sweet.

For less sweet cakes, you need a recipe that uses less sugar. Generally, angel food, chiffon, and sponge cakes are considered "less" sweet than traditional American cake mix cakes.

Also, scratch pound or butter cakes are generally less sweet than box mixes.

HOWEVER, if you're new to baking, and making wedding cakes let's not get too complicated if there's no need.

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble, and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread has popular CC recipes for: American crusting b/c's, doctored cake mix and fondant (and so much more).

Since we don't know exactly what cakes your bride has samples, why not start with the WASC doctored cake mix recipe which is not as sweet as straight cake mix, but is very moist. (Also the American b/c recipes provided aren't quite as sweet as some...)

If the Bride to Be likes the WASC cake your biggest hurdle is over. The WASC cake can be made into any flavor of cake simply by changing the cake mix flavor and using complementary flavorings.

No need to find various scratch recipes if this works well for you. So, I'd give the WASC a try and see how it goes!

Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 3

I think a lot of where the sweetness in cake comes from is the filling and icing... that can take it over the top really fast. Try mousses instead of preserves inside and a meringue-based buttercream outside.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%