Etiquette On Using Someone's Cake Design

Decorating By amybunce Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 3:48am by Ruth0209

amybunce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybunce Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 15

I want to try to do a cake I saw here on CC. I've pm'd the designer and asked if I could do it but haven't heard back...maybe in time I will. I'm sure she's busy creating new cakes! I'm new...what is cake etiquette on using someone else's design? I'm sure mine won't look like hers! Hers is perfect!

Thanks,
Amy

14 replies
shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 15

I don't think most people mind on here as long as you give credit when credit is due. I get a lot of my ideas form the cakes on here i always try to change it up a little.

shelly

slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 15

Amybunce, everyone is different but for me... if you see something you like, I'll be flattered if you make one.

I've read in various posts that people just want recognition for their original work. So when you post it, just mention their screen name when you describe the cake.

I mean... gosh, it's not like cakes are copywritten. hahahahahah

Just have fun.

But that's my two cents.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #4 of 15

I think that the original designers should be proud of their work especially if someone copies or tries to make one very similar to it.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #5 of 15

I agree.... I 'just happened' to come across a cake which someone duplicated one of mine and I was freaking out (in a good way) since she owed a professional bake shop in Florida and she picked my cake. Me!! One of my cakes!!! I was so excited, plus she gave me credit for the original design. Thanks, Jaime

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #6 of 15

I think one of the main points to CC is to share ideas. Asking beforehand, as you have, sounds like a very polite thing to do. Mentioning you were inspired by such-and-such is also common courtesy, and will be appreciated.

I personally think if someone has an original design and would be offended at the design being used by anyone else, they probably shouldn't post it on here. Just by the nature of the beast - you post something on the internet, who knows what will happen.

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 15

I agree ~ we all post here for ideas, support and information.
I think you've handled it very well and you should go for it!
Make sure to show us the finished product thumbs_up.gif

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 15

I agree, If you use it give credit where credit is due. I had someone pm me and ask if they could use one of my cakes for their birthday cake, which I said was fine. Until I went and looked and they copied everything i did right down to the wording on the cake. The only difference was the flowers on the cake. And there was no mention of mine being the original design.

So if your gonna copy someones cake...Give the original designer some credit.

amybunce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybunce Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks, everyone. Here is the finished cake, my first wedding cake!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1333953

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:22am
post #10 of 15

You did an amazing job especially considering you only had 2 days to do it and it was your first time!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #11 of 15

I pretty much do what I want. If I see a cake design, first - I have no idea whether it's original, or the photo I've seen is a copy of someone else's cake - so who should I ask? Or give credit to? Bah... too much trouble for me. And if someone copies one of my cakes, I wouldn't care. Imitation being flattery and all...

I saw a thread here a while back where someone got her panties in a knot over someone stealing her "original" design and not giving her credit... until it was shown that the "original design" wasn't so original after all. I could probably come up with someone "original" when in fact it may be something I stored away subconsciously.

I don't think Colette Peters gets upset when someone copies one of her cakes... in fact she TEACHES others how to make them. Just make the cake and don't worry about. If someone else has a problem with it - that's their problem, not yours. If they don't want their cakes copied, perhaps they shouldn't post them here.

My opinion anyway.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:35am
post #12 of 15

However, OhMyGanache, it never hurts anyone to say thank you to the person whose cake inspired them regardless of whether it was the "original."

Gratitude and good manners are never required, but they're always appreciated.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:38am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

However, OhMyGanache, it never hurts anyone to say thank you to the person whose cake inspired them regardless of whether it was the "original."

Gratitude and good manners are never required, but they're always appreciated.

Ah, but what if I thank the person who I think created the cake, but it was just a copy of someone else's cake - and person who actually created the original gets miffed that the copycat is getting the design credit?!?

It's a no-win situation - which is why I stopped being concerned with it.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:38am
post #14 of 15

Okay you busted out those RI roses in 2 days?!?!? Amazing! I feel copy away, whose to say how original an idea is. Don't we all make ribbon roses out of fondant, flowers out of gumpast, roses out of RI? I don't know who was the first to do all those different techniques in those different mediums. I know that cake you did I've seen somewhere else & it wasn't on this site either. If you can, give credit where credit is do, but I wouldn't stress of it either.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:48am
post #15 of 15

Honestly, I think your scenario is a bit unlikely, but okay, you certainly wouldn't want to run the risk of thanking someone who didn't deserve to be thanked.

As for me, my gratitude "bank" replenishes itself every time I give some away. I don't worry about running out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%