Help..."easy Marshmallow Fondant" Recipe Posted By

Decorating By Carol97 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm by Carol97

Carol97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carol97 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 10

I am officially making my first cake and already running behind because both my daughter and I have been sick this week. This cake is for my daughters 2nd party with is this Saturday!! I plan on making the "Easy Marshmallow Fondant" and using it to make baby einstein decorations. The recipe does not say let it rest overnight before using....can I make and use immediately? Will the fondant dry and harden w/o using gumpaste mixed with it? or should I mix with some Wilton store bought gumpaste to make these, will they dry by Saturday to put on the cake? Any advise on using this fondant....this is my first try with it....I ran out of time to even make a practice run!!

I'm going to try and make the 2 dimensional figures as shown on the sides of the following attached cake photo.

Thanks so much!!!!!
LL

9 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 10

Are you planning on anyone eating the decorations? They are going to be really hard. Plus, gumpaste tastes yucky, lol. A lot of people use the MMF immediately, or at least after it has cooled for an hour or so. I find it really easy to cover my cakes when I use it soon after making. The resting lets it firm up. And trust me, it will. And since you are using it for decoration, you would probably want it to be firm. Depending on how elaborate the design is, it would probably be dry enough by Saturday. Are you going to cover the cake in the MMF? You could even use straight gumpaste to make the decorations, and just don't let anyone eat them. HTH

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 10

i would let any homemade fondant sit for 24 hours to mature. it needs to cool down and come together and only time can help that. i'm not sure what will happen if you try to use it immediately, but i would not recommend it.

yes, you can mix 1/2 mmf 1/2 gumpaste to make the decorations. they may not be *completely* dry because you should let it dry at least a week, but i have done some small fondant decorations on a thursday that needed to be on a saturday cake. put it in a cool room with a fan blowing on it to help dry faster.

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 10

I am also making the marshmallow fondant for my daughter's birthday on March 24th. I am making a purse cake with buttercream and adding the decorations in the MMF. I am also making cupcakes with matching MMF flowers on buttercream.

When would be the ideal time to make the fondant? I actually have a free day today (Thursday), but am wondering if it is too early to make the MMF?
Does it keep? Or can I make the MMF today and make the decorations tomorrow? If so, how would I store them to use on the cake on Tuesday?

Just trying to make things easier for myself!

Kris

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 10

Ladiesofthehouse- MMF keeps for a long time, just on the counter. Be sure to coat it in crisco, wrap it in two layers of plastic wrap, then place it in a ziploc bag. My husband made me this really cool "drying station" for all of my decorations-basically just boards that slide into a main caddy so that everything is in one place. Really handy.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 10

CakeMommy3:

So if it was you, when would be the ideal time to make the MMF decorations? I will make the actual MMF today and use the method you described to store it on the counter, but is this too soon to make the decorations for the cake/cupcakes on Tuesday? I mean, will they be hard as rock? I have a free day today and it would be so nice if I could do some of this and get it out of the way.

I have a BC customer sheet cake due on the 29th that features the Backyardigans. There are several colorful figures (flat) on the cake so I was thinking the MMF may be ideal to make the decorations out of ahead of time. When could I make them so they would TASTE the best? I have no doubts the kids will want to eat them.

Last question: if I can safely make them ahead of time, how do I store them? I am in a cold climate, but very humid. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks for all the help!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 10

You could definitely make the MMF today and let it rest, make the figures tomorrow. Yes they will be hard by Tuesday, do you not want them to be hard?

Store them in a clean "shoebox" type of cardboard box. Never store them in a plastic container, they will become soft.

I made some mmf figures on Monday of this week for a Saturday cake order. They are "semi-hard" if that makes any sense (3 days later). You could definitely bite into them, although I may have to harm the person that tries that. hehehe icon_lol.gif

If you want them to be eaten, don't mix the mmf with gumpaste and make them no more then 1 week ahead. Store them in a box.

Ladiesofthehouse Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 10

Thank you!

I don't want the figures rock hard for either cake because they will be flat and eaten. I will make the MMF today and do the decorations Sunday for the Tuesday cake.

MsLadyCakes06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsLadyCakes06 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #9 of 10

I've never tried the gumpaste yet. does this recipe follow the same rules as the store bought fondant. and is fondant suppose to be hard? I thought it should be like a soft chew candy? I want to make a butter cream frosted cake and add fondant shaped animals on it..that will work?

Carol97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carol97 Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Ladies for all the advise...I don't want my figures rock hard either. So, I'm going to make today and put on the cake in the morning. I hope that will work...if not I guess I will live and learn this time....lol

Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%