Buttercream Stencils On Fondant

Decorating By klat7292 Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm by __Jamie__

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all!

I apologize ahead of time if this thread has been posted already...I have been searching the posts and I did not find what I am looking for. Here is my question...

Can buttercream stencil work be applied to fondant without a lot of trouble?

I am making my own bday cake next week. I want it to be a trial and error cake...topsy turvy, Michelle Foster's fondant and stencils ( a music staff) I'm artistically challenged (for the time being LOL) so I need a little help...I worked with stencils last week, and I LIKED them!! Makes life easier and I can be more creative...I'm just wondering about how it will turn out. Any tips/advice from all of my CC buddies would be GREATLY appreciative!!

TIA!! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 7

Any stencil can be used (mostly, I have yet to see one that wouldn't). For fondant however, I would use royal icing. The small amount of BC used wouldn't be a big deal, but royal is always best!

klat7292 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 7

kinda figured that...but how do I make a SMALL batch of royal?!!...every time I've made it, it was SOO much and since I don't use royal too much, then it usually goes to waste icon_cry.gif ...so if someone could help me to CUT down the recipe for royal, then I'll probably use that!! (I could make roses out of it too...FINALLY!!LOL) icon_wink.gif

BTW, can royal be freezed? I just found out that BC can be...DUH?! icon_redface.gif

Thanks for the info... thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 7

I have always kind of done it "by sight". So if you wanted 1/4 of a recipe of Wilton RI, using their powdered meringue mix, 1/4 of the PS would be 1 cup. 1/4 tbs of meringue powder mix. If you can't measure that small, dump out 3 tbsp and split the pile into 4 even piles. There ya go....add water to your preference. Hope that made sense and that I am correct.

Not the most scientific way to do it, but it works for me. I use RI so rarely, I'm sure the cookie gals will be more help.

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 7

You'll probably have to whip it by hand, I doubt your mixer will reach such a tiny pile of ingredients.

klat7292 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 7

ok! Thanks Jamie for the info...I just might try that!!

Any comments on MMF versus Michelle Foster's fondant...(i've tried MMF...I like it, but NOBODY else does...)

Also, how does a topsy turvy handle buttercream? Meaning, is it hard to assemble when it's buttercream...any thoughts are appreciated!!

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #7 of 7

No experience with TT cakes....haven't had the call for it, and when I do, I will price it so ridiculously expensive, I'm sure the person will pass...icon_biggrin.gif

MMF was good for awhile. I grew up and moved on to MFF...will never look back! It is the best. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%