Paisley Shapes

Decorating By Cher2309b Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 2:09am by Cher2309b

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 6

I'd like to make some intricate paisley shapes from fondant or modelling paste. Does anyone know of suitable cutters or moulds, preferably available in Australia? I would appreciate any guidance; thank you.

5 replies
Cher2309b Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 6

As well as the paisley shapes I would like to attach some individual crystals into the centres of flower cutouts. Do I need to use any particular type of crystal? How should I attach them? How do I make sure that none are swallowed?

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 6

GSA sells paisley cutters by Lindy Smith
http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20229
You could also probably find or make a stencil and cut by hand. I would not use non-edible jewels on a flat decoration applied directly to a cake - too much chance that one would be overlooked and swallowed. Use fondant pearls or sugar jewels.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 6

If you have access to a library that might have Lindy Smith's book "Cakes to Inspire and Desire" , she has a cake in there that has very detailed fondant paisleys and directions with photos on how to make them.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #5 of 6

I know a good source, feel free to e-mail me.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Cher2309b Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 6

Thank you very much to everyone for the helpful advice given. I didn't know about the sugar jewels. I have now sourced them and found that my favourite cake decorating shop in Sydney stocks them. I've been told to attach them as late as possible, preferably at the venue, as they can turn opaque. I forgot to ask how to attach them; any suggestions please?

Re the paisley cutters; I've decided to use a variety of cutters and create my own designs. I think I will buy the Lindy Smith cutters to incorporate into the shapes.

Thanks again.
Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%