Need A Bc Expert

Decorating By mashmellow Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 2:34am by cakecrazy09

mashmellow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashmellow Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 16

icon_cry.gif I am so frustrated, I have been making cakes for 2 year now, and still it will came out right. I did a batch of sugarshack BC, and it came out like grannie, I tried to color the BC and it didn't get an even color, I was using a star tip and it came out like separate ribbons. in two weeks I have to make my sister wedding cake, and she wants BC, Please, please somebody help !!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

15 replies
luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:08am
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmellow

icon_cry.gif I am so frustrated, I have been making cakes for 2 year now, and still it will came out right. I did a batch of sugarshack BC, and it came out like grannie, I tried to color the BC and it didn't get an even color, I was using a star tip and it came out like separate ribbons. in two weeks I have to make my sister wedding cake, and she wants BC, Please, please somebody help !!!!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

while I'm not a super-expert, I know a few things... how long are you mixing the BC for? you might want to try letting it go longer...

as for the uneven color, are you mixing the color all the way through?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #3 of 16

What kind of vegetable shortening are you using?..What sugar?..Is the star tip open? Did you mix the color well?
Edna

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 16

Far from being an expert, I give you these tips...

1, use good quality powdered sugar. I like the kind in the bag, not by the pound in small boxes. They're terrible and gritty. JMHO

2. Cream your butter (nice soft room temp) and crisco (or whatever u are using) together first, then add extracts, then slowly by cup add your SIFTED powdered sugar. I usually add 2 cups, then 1 tbsp. milk, then 2 cups more etc. I make a large batch of BC. Oh and I am using my wire wisk on my KA, then switch to the paddle once I get to 4 cups pow. sugar.

I find when I do it this way, it comes out super soft and no grit!

My recipe is

1 cup crisco
1 cup butter
2 tsp. vanilla ext.
1 tsp. butter flav.
2 pound bag of powdered sugar-- sifted
milk as needed to get correct consistency. Humidity and heat in the kitchen play a role in how much milk I use each time I make it...

Hope this helps. Just my way of doing it, so many ways out there. Keep experimenting until you get it right, although I know you are on a timeline. icon_wink.gif

mashmellow Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 16

I used crisco, and when I colored the BC you could se like tiny little particules,points, like the sugar didn't disolve, and Edna I am sure the tip was open but the consistency wasn't right, Skis I will try your recipe, and if it doesn't came out right I guess I have to buy the SAM'S BC, Do you think I can try and save the batch I made?

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 16

Can you take a picture of it? it might help diagnose the problem.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 16

W/o knowing your exact recipe and method it is difficult to help you.
As has been said, be sure to use good name brands of ingredients. C&H powdered sugar in the plastic bag (2#); Crisco and real butter and milk as the liquid.
Ski's recipe is a typical one and should give you good results.
I can't believe you have followed SugarShack's recipe and it didn't work!
Also what kind of coloring are you using? It all matters icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:55pm
post #8 of 16

Edna has a new BC video on you tube that would probably help you, go check it out.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 16

Far from expert, but this is the recipe I use and it comes out perfectly every, every time.

2 c. Crisco shortening
6 Tbsp. water
2 tsp. vanilla (clear) or almond flavoring
1 tsp. butter flavoring
2 lb bag 10x sugar (either Domino or Great Value)
2 Tbsp. meringue powder

** DON'T use the boxed sugar. You can never seem to get all of the lumps out of it. Moisture maybe??? I don't know.

Cream shortening, water and flavoring on medium speed until liquid is completely absorbed.

Turn speed to low and slowly add 10x sugar. Once moistened, turn speed up to medium and blend for about 2 minutes.

Turn speed to low and slowly add meringue powder. Once moistened, turn speed to medium high and blend for 7 to 10 minutes.

HTH

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 16

hi mashmellow,
i might be able to help on the grainy/uneven color problem.
if you are using crisco, sometimes regular gel or paste colors do not get uniformly mixed in/absorbed and you end up with micro bead of darker color within your buttercream. this doesn't always happen but it seems to happen more with the darker colors like green and purple. i never had this problem with pinks, yellows, etc, but routinely had it for greens. if you use candy colors instead of the regular wilton or americolor colors, i think you will find you can get really nice even color with crisco blend buttercreams. you can get them online or there are some at most craft stores near the candy melts. i hope this helps.
diane

mashmellow Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 16

I did use the wilton color gel, and I used half generic sugar and Half C & H, I used the shugarShack's recepie I watched the video on youtube, and fallowed .I will try once more see what happens, thank you all

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 9:14am
post #12 of 16

i know why when you used the star tip, it came out like separated ribbons.. i've had that happen to me.

it's the sugar (for me it was the salt). i've put salt in my BC to cut the sweetness, only that i used regular salt (no popcorn salt here), & some of the grains blocked part of the tip opening, causing it to separate when the piping bag is squeezed.
if you didn't use salt, then it must have been the lumps in your sugar.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 16

if it was the new zero trans fat crico that might have been the problem.

here is how i make mine:

also, sometimes a bad batch od PS can cause graininess

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 16

I highly recommend getting the Buttercream DVD by Sharon Zambito (Sugarshack) - I watched it last night and even tho I've been making b/c for a few years now and I rarely have problems, I did learn a few things on this DVD! She shows how to make the b/c (and her recipe) and how to get a perfect smooth finish on your cake - VERY useful!!

Order it and ask for a rush delivery so you have time to watch it before your sister's wedding. Worth every penny!

One of the things it took me a long time to get used to was just how long you have to cream the shortening/butter (whatever you use) AND how long you have to beat the b/c.

Also - try getting some hi-ratio shortening instead of Crisco. You might be able to get some at a local bakery and you can order it online as well. It's not as greasy and I've found that it makes a much nicer, smoother icing. After using hi-ratio I've never gone back to regular shortening.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:14am
post #15 of 16

I've had this problem too and when I switched to cane powdered sugar, it took care of the problem. Also you could be adding too much powdered sugar.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

cakecrazy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecrazy09 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #16 of 16

I had this problem over and over even with Sugar shack and Indydebi recipes. After many trials I finally figured out I was mixing it too long. The texture would come out looking like sand and the taste was very grainy. I have a 6 qt KA and it does not take as long to mix as some of the recipes call for. Hope that helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%