Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 20 Mar 2009 , 12:38pm by -K8memphis

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:03am
post #1 of 12

This is probably somewhere on CC but I couldn't find it tonight. I will be doing a groom's cake for a nephew. It will have chocolate dipped strawberries on it. My question is what is the best chocolate to use for this? Strawberries will be staked and cascading down side. How would you attach them..with chocolate only? I have some time on this but always like to try new things first for practice. Thanks for any help. icon_confused.gif

11 replies
amybunce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybunce Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 12

I just did some chocolate dipped strawberries this week and I used Wilton candy melts. They worked fine for me, but someone else might have a better idea.

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 12

I'd like to know the answer to this as well... how to make them so pretty! I make them for my husband and I but I just melt regular Nestle Semi Sweet Morsels with Unsalted Butter and dip like that. Probably not the best method and definitely not pretty. Thanks for asking this!

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 12

I have wanted to know this and how long do they last? Or I guess you could say, how far ahead can you do them?

amybunce Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 12

I dipped mine the night before then stored them in the fridge overnight in a large ziplock bag. I didn't assemble them on the cake until right before it was picked up the next day. I was afraid to stretch it out any farther because seem so go bad so quickly.

ladixiechic1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladixiechic1 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 12

I just made some recently, I washed them and let them set out and air dry. Also let them come to room temperature. I dipped them and let them try a room temperature again. I dipped them same day I that I was putting them on the cake. I used Wiltons and they turned out just fine. Before this technique, I have had problems with condensation and the juices running, not so pretty. Hope this helps!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #7 of 12

Some people don't like Wilton candy melts, but I like them just fine. That's what I always use for strawberries. I'm not sure about attaching them to the sides though. Maybe someone else can offer advice on that. I wouldn't think a toothpick would be the way though. It looks like that would make the juice run out. I definately agree with waiting as long as you can to do the strawberries.

amybunce Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 12

I agree with ladixiechic1. I also washed my strawberries and let them air dry, then dipped them and let that air dry. Then I refrigerated them. I had to do it this way because I'm a school counselor in my real job and he wanted to pick it up at 3:30 the next day - right after school, so I had to do the work the night before. But I think her idea is great to do it same day as pick up and leave at room temp when possible.

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 12

i dont have any advice for attaching them to the cake, but as for dipping them, if you can please save that for the same day as the assembly.

i dont know anything about candy melts, but coating chocolate is your best bet i.e. merckens (but i find merckens to be a little thick for my liking. the only stuff i use is by Chocoa).
unless you know how to temper, don't use couverture.
i've never tried to coat with melted regular chips, so i have no comment for those.
and fountain chocolates are usually the coating kind.. but that's 'usually'. Chocoa also makes this.

i would advise against doing them days ahead of time and especially against refridgerating them because the fruit shrinks and if your choc has hardened, then the fruit might get a little loose and when it thaws it would get juicy. another reason why you need to dip them at room temp & have them DRY

good luck!

hth icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird59

This is probably somewhere on CC but I couldn't find it tonight. I will be doing a groom's cake for a nephew. It will have chocolate dipped strawberries on it. My question is what is the best chocolate to use for this? Strawberries will be staked and cascading down side. How would you attach them..with chocolate only? I have some time on this but always like to try new things first for practice. Thanks for any help. icon_confused.gif

Hmm. Cakes for weddings are especially used for several hours as a focal point--strawberries are loaded with juice so with poking a hole (staked) they are gonna pee.

I would stack them myself and maybe make a ledge with popsicle sticks to set them on so you would be piercing the cake rather than the berry. That's how I would do it. Maybe that's what you meant but staked I thought might mean pierced? Then camoflage the stick with piped leaves or something to conceal.

I like candy melts for doing strawberries.
I also use chocolate chips and add some oil or paramont crystals so the tooth feel is softer--it still sets up but it's not as brittle.

You could temper some chocolate but I don't get into that for berries because they are so last minute.

As last minute as possible--within an hour or two of delivery, I wash, dry with a paper towel--(sometimes I line a large container with paper towels and just roll the washed berries in there to dry them--change the paper towels a coupla times, roll roll)--then give each one an individual dry when dipped--just roll it between your hands in a paper towel first--then I get a nice chill on them for delivery.

Strawberry thoughts for you.

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 12

Thank to everyone for your ideas. Looks like my hubby will get to try some practice strawberries. Also since the cake will be iced in chocolate buttercream I was thinking of attaching the strawberries with frosting to cascade.
Thank you k8memphis... I did mean stacked instead of staked..my goof.
What do any of you think of arranging them in a small bowl or plate that can be set on the cake when we arrive. Since it is a family wedding I will be delivering the cake about 1 hour away and setting up. I thought I might just arrange the strawberries there if I dip them early that morning for a 1:00 p.m. wedding. Do you think that will work? I am going to buy strawberries and Wilton chocolate melts this weekend and try. I am too curious to wait. Thanks for all advice. I will let you know what I end up doing.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 12:38pm
post #12 of 12

Oh oh oh gotcha --stacked, good.

When I deliver, I make sure my berries are kept cold on the ride--especially for an hour drive. I set the sheet pan full of berries on top of a cake pan that has a frozen gel pack in it and cover it all up. Something to keep the chill on 'em. That's how I do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%