First Wedding Cake!!! Plz Help!

Decorating By gummy_buns Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm by bakingatthebeach

gummy_buns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gummy_buns Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:14am
post #1 of 6

Hello everyone!! Im hoping i can get some help with MY FIRST WEDDING CAKE!! It will b just a small 2 tier cake don't know the size yet anyone recamend two sizes that look great?? Its gunna be butter cream and fondant over that. Other question i have i don't want to make my fondant this time i want to buy it off a website anyone recamend a yummy one? Also the bride asked for traditional wedding cake flavor she said its not white its somthing else.... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT IS!!! Please help if u know what that is. Also she wants a ribbon base what do u put behind the ribbon to keep grease or anything showing threw? Or do people just put the ribbon on and thats it? K now for the BIG QUESTION!! Im driving this cake over an hr away in ARIZONA HEAT!! The cake will b due may 16th so its gunna start getting hot! YUCK! so if anyone knows good tricks on how to transport this cake would b great! Oh i have so many questions also i was wondering HOW DO I PRICE THIS CAKE!!?? PLEASE HELP ME SO I CAN FEEL PREPAIRED!!! Thanks everyone so much!!

5 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #2 of 6

Do you ever read the forums here?

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 6

same reaction with cakepro... all your questions are discussed often here on cc... try to search them or we can ask for our online buddy janh... janh is like cc's human index icon_biggrin.gif

Jakap2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jakap2 Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 5:47am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummy_buns

Hello everyone!! Im hoping i can get some help with MY FIRST WEDDING CAKE!! It will b just a small 2 tier cake don't know the size yet anyone recamend two sizes that look great??

Well, that really depends on how many people will be in wedding. Usually 2 inch difference is nice (6+8inch, 8+10inch etc)

Its
gunna be butter cream and fondant over that. Other question i have i don't want to make my fondant this time i want to buy it off a website anyone recamend a yummy one?

I usually make my own fondant but I heard that Satin Ice is pretty good, I believe Global Sugar Art sells it.

Also the bride asked for traditional wedding cake flavor she said its not white its somthing else.... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT IS!!! Please help if u know what that is.

I'm not sure what she meant by that since every bride picks different flavor. The best would be to ask her.

Also she wants a ribbon base what do u put behind the ribbon to keep grease or anything showing threw? Or do people just put the ribbon on and thats it?

Since you will be covering cake with fondant, there should be no problem with ribbon getting greasy

K now for the BIG QUESTION!! Im driving this cake over an hr away in ARIZONA HEAT!! The cake will b due may 16th so its gunna start getting hot! YUCK! so if anyone knows good tricks on how to transport this cake would b great!

SPS- just look it up here in forum, very useful

Oh i have so many questions also i was wondering HOW DO I PRICE THIS CAKE!!?? PLEASE HELP ME SO I CAN FEEL PREPAIRED!!! Thanks everyone so much!!

Price depends on what exactly will your cake look like/size, decoration etc

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 6

first of all slap your bride (there are lots of posts on that theme too....) how does she expect you to guess the flavour she is thinking of? either she tells you what it is, or you say well, here is what i offer. 'traditional' is fruit cake of vanilla.

cake size depends on servings needed. which affects pricing. which includeds a stonking delivery charge, since in the end ur doing minimum 2 hours driving.

there are several schools of thought on ribbon, so ur best reading the posts and making ur own mind up.

as for the heat, keep the air con on everywhere, make sure it will be on in the place the cake is sitting, and pick your recipies wisely.
really, a wedding cake is the same as any other cake, just bigger!
xx

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 6

You need to find out the amount of people the bride wants to serve, and do they plan on saving the top for their first anniversary. If its only two tiered and they save the top, find out what size pan would feed the amt of people they plan to serve (or you can throw in an extra sheet cake).
I charge at least 3.50 a slice for fondant because for me its alot of work. Buttercream I charge 2.50, extra is added if its less than simple to make.
The ribbon thing, I read on here to iron wax paper on the back, I just tried that but I dont think I did it correctly, I also read where you can cut a strip of wax paper, attatch it to the border of your cake, then wrap the ribbon over this. Im going to try it that way next practice time.
And for traveling, I live in SC where it gets pretty humid and hot, I start my car and turn the A/C on high for 15 min before I put the cake in the car. I have a mini van so I make sure the cake sits right in the middle of the back so the sun doesnt shine on it.
I also just got (and used) the SPS system. I just delivered my first cake with this in the car and it worked great and I didnt worry about it sliding or falling over. I set it on top of a silicone mat so it wouldnt slide in the car during my very careful turns (does anyone have a problem with every car in the county being behind you at 6am when your trying to drive with a cake?!)
I hope this helps. I read the forums daily and there are such great decorators that give you so much helpful information. I save some of the info to a folder for easy reference. I have really learned alot from here. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%