Quilted (Diamond Pattern) On Smbc

Decorating By __Jamie__ Updated 22 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm by Sweet_Treats_1

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 6

Well, now I've done it. I get the sense that a few of my "girls" are going to go with the quilt look (from the fondant impression mats) with dragees. We haven't discussed that it needs to be on fondant OR a crusting BC....and I am pretty adamant about using SMBC for everything.

Has anyone else successfully found a way to do "indented" patterns on SMBC? I would imagine not....but if someone has done this...I'd love to hear about it!

I guess I could draw a hot knife lightly across the surface and make my own quilt pattern. The intersections wouldn't matter looking sloppy, because they will have dragees on them.

Is this a good idea? Or am I being too hopeful?

5 replies
Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

Not that I would know from experience, but what about lightly pressing the edge of a plastic flat ruler and cleaning after every line? They sell flat ones at Staples for like $.79. Just a thought. Good Luck icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 6

Oh yeah....I am thinking it will have to be done with a method similar to that. I just don't want any frosting sticking to whatever I use and leaving patchy areas. I think a metal ruler dipped in hot water and dried would be great. And done to a firmly chilled icing. For the square cakes...easy peasy. Round....uhhhhh, hmmm.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 6

Hmm, would like to bump this thread as I have a cake that might need a diamond pattern on imbc. I was wondering if I could use a metal diamond cutter, heat it and press it into the bc, whether that would work, anyone try this?

__Jamie__ Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 6

I have that copper cutter from J Dontz, I think getting it hot would work! Forgot about this thread! Lol, now I am totally up for using Sugarshack icing when need be. Finally found something other than SMBC I like.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 22 Aug 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 6

Excuse me Iam new here but what is SMBC an IMBC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%