I Almost Poisoned Them!!!

Decorating By _ROYALTY_ Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm by Karabear1125

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #91 of 134

It's a sticky line to walk if we start getting suspicious of every new poster - we all started somewhere! Nobody started out with 100 posts. For myself, when I found this site (what seems like four score ago), I only read for a few months before I joined to make my first reply and start posting. And I remember one of my first posts ever being one of my own cake disasters. You're just trying to "break the ice" somehow and humor is usually a good place to start.

I also agree that the OP probably doesn't even need to take the Wilton courses. You've been doing pretty great so far on your own. There are so many helpful tutorials out there - this site and youtube are great places to start.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #92 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

Well I don't know you K8. Don't think it really matters that you have 2300 posts or not considering your post counts can go up just by playing games in the Lounge. I don't see any cake photos of yours. I seen a website on your profile, are those your cakes? And why don't you post any on here?

Glad you apologised to OP! I found the people on this site to be really nice and hope it stays that way. icon_biggrin.gif

When you've been around here awhile, you'll quickly (!) find out how very, very helpful and knowledgeable K8 is. She's on my short list of people whose opinion I HIGHLY value and is one I would go to with a problem. We have a rare occasion where we might disagree with each other, but don't discount her valuable contributions to this site.

Yeah me too. I don't fault her for thinking this post was bogus. It actually crossed my mind too. Nothing personal to the OP, we just have a lot of really immature people who join (or make aliases) just to see the kind of commotion they can start.

I think K8 was just being protective.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #93 of 134

Chef Rubber carries a cold spray that I use for Sugar, Chocolate and Fondant work. If I am using Chocolate as a glue for a dried fondant piece on cake, I just spray it with some cold spray. It is not cheap...About thirty dollars a can with shipping. It is Food Safe though icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:17pm
post #94 of 134
Quote:
Quote:

And I especially don't believe you'd waste money on a Wilton course, when you are far beyond that.

Quote:
Quote:

My very first cake was two tiered and fondant covered. And I made my own MMF for it...skipped the Wilton crap all together!

The quality of the Wilton classes is entirely dependent upon the expertise of the Wilton instructors. Having 11 years experience plus nearly 100 hours of professional instruction from the likes of Debbie Brown, Nicholas Lodge, Bronwen Weber, Jennifer Dontz, Lorraine McKay, and others, I happen to be one of those who teaches way beyond the Wilton way. icon_smile.gif

So perhaps one ought not make blanket statement about Wilton classes. icon_smile.gif

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:20pm
post #95 of 134

Too funny. icon_lol.gif

I made a batch of BC a few cakes ago & I always taste first (just incase!) & good thing cause it had the most foul under taste to it! icon_surprised.gif I kept tasting it to be sure if it was my mouth or the BC. icon_confused.gif

I tired different spoons/spatulas/forks/butter knives you name it! It kept tasting funky. I rinsed my mouth with water, still funky. icon_cry.gif

I finally remembered that I had used that same bowl to hold some lemon wedges the week before & even though I had washed the bowl, the lemon juice had infected my BC flavor. That was the weird under flavor that I was tasting!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Duh. dunce.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #96 of 134

(((sigh))) Ok....clarification time again. Wasn't referring to the Wilton method and/or classes. Just to the fondant itself. I use it for dummies, love it for that purpose, and for general skill building. Taste=crap.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:24pm
post #97 of 134

And the way you have your "quotes" setup, it looks like I made the post about Wilton courses...which I had nothing to do with. So please, requote your "quotes", since we are all being so technical. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #98 of 134

I was doing a lecture on fondant the other day and one of students said " it taste gross".....I stopped them dead. I roll my fondant about an 1/8 of an inch thick. In all reality the piece will have next to no fondant on it icon_smile.gif Also, the brand really matters. I think it is a texture issue icon_smile.gif I just say that it taste like the middle of an Oreo cookie! They think Oreo and love it! All my students are hooked! They fight over the scraps!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #99 of 134

maryjsgirl, I just have to tell you that every time I see one of your posts with your avatar, I laugh out loud! I don't know where you scored Ms. Franklin's hat, but that is hilarious and silly and I love it! icon_smile.gif Thanks for all the chuckles.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #100 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Quote:
Quote:

And I especially don't believe you'd waste money on a Wilton course, when you are far beyond that.

Quote:
Quote:

My very first cake was two tiered and fondant covered. And I made my own MMF for it...skipped the Wilton crap all together!

The quality of the Wilton classes is entirely dependent upon the expertise of the Wilton instructors. Having 11 years experience plus nearly 100 hours of professional instruction from the likes of Debbie Brown, Nicholas Lodge, Bronwen Weber, Jennifer Dontz, Lorraine McKay, and others, I happen to be one of those who teaches way beyond the Wilton way. icon_smile.gif

So perhaps one ought not make blanket statement about Wilton classes. icon_smile.gif

I wasn't saying anything negative or blanketed about Wilton classes, lol. I was just complimenting the fact she has done such awesome cakes without classes. Why take them now?

And the other poster you quoted without a doubt said nothing bad about Wilton classes.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:36pm
post #101 of 134

It's all good. I'm just sayin'. icon_smile.gif

Mea culpa for mistaking Jamie's comment about the "Wilton crap" being aimed at Wilton classes rather than the fondant.

Y'all can go back to arguing amongst yourselves. I'm gonna go snack on a big ball of Wilton fondant. Yummmmmmm icon_biggrin.gif :crackup:

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #102 of 134

Gross....lol! Well...there are some things that I snack on from time to time that I bet would just gross everyone out. Except for those that share my quirky taste for...ummm, those strange things. Hee hee....

_ROYALTY_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ROYALTY_ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #103 of 134
Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't saying anything negative or blanketed about Wilton classes, lol. I was just complimenting the fact she has done such awesome cakes without classes. Why take them now?

And the other poster you quoted without a doubt said nothing bad about Wilton classes.

well the reason I am taking classes now is because even though i caught on pretty quick with fondant, I totally sucked at BC and stuff like borders, piping roses and things like that. In my first class I sat directly in front of the instructor (who is amazing by the way) and watched her pipe out some roses like I was a cat about to pounce on something wiggling in the corner. I went home with my new CRUSTING BC (see, didnt know about the whole crusting-gets-hard thing... ::rolls eyes:: ) and tried it myself. Well after about two tries I started getting it. For me it takes me actually seeing people do something for me to catch on. I hope to learn alot more, I think cake decorating is great!

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:43pm
post #104 of 134

In fact, I think I'm going to start a just for fun thread on "your secret food obsessions sure to gross someone out"...I think that would be fun!
Going to post in the Lounge, if anyone is interested in seeing who can come up with the grossest of the gross...lol!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #105 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

In fact, I think I'm going to start a just for fun thread on "your secret food obsessions sure to gross someone out"...I think that would be fun!
Going to post in the Lounge, if anyone is interested in seeing who can come up with the grossest of the gross...lol!

Peanut butter and bologna sandwich (on toast). YUM! thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:50pm
post #106 of 134

Ganache...I started the thread in The Lounge...I put my shameful little secrets for all to see! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #107 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

Omg--now that's harsh!!!

icon_lol.gif

(Where's the 'gotta hurl' smilie face?)

marisanovy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisanovy Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #108 of 134

Royalty, I was checking your cakes... girl you are a natural!!!

Great cakes icon_smile.gif

_ROYALTY_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ROYALTY_ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #109 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by marisanovy

Royalty, I was checking your cakes... girl you are a natural!!!

Great cakes icon_smile.gif

Thank you so much!! icon_biggrin.gif

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:04pm
post #110 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Peanut Butter & Spam sandwiches!!! thumbs_up.gif

lauramw71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauramw71 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #111 of 134

Ok, I thought the girl i worked with that LOVES peanut butter and bologna was the only one in the world. oohhhh I guess I was sadly mistaken. LOL Wonder how that would taste grilled? LOL Nuthin better than a grilled (on a griddle, not a grill) pb and j sammich. Specially if you use strawberry jam.. tastes fresh made LOL YUM-O!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #112 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

Omg--now that's harsh!!!

icon_lol.gif

(Where's the 'gotta hurl' smilie face?)

Don't knock it 'til ya try it! It's DELISH! The secret is toasting the bread.

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #113 of 134
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #114 of 134

I can't help but think....what a blast it would've been when the candles were lit! WOW! Angels had to work OT to keep that one from making its' destination, eh?

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #115 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I can't help but think....what a blast it would've been when the candles were lit! WOW! Angels had to work OT to keep that one from making its' destination, eh?

HA!!!!!!!! icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:39pm
post #116 of 134

((snicker snicker)) blast. heh heh.

Onome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Onome Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 10:50pm
post #117 of 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

I mean, will you really be devasted if she goes to the big "ICES convention in the sky" because she croaked from eating her cake?
Would you show up to her funeral wailing about "why did she have to use the butane? WHY!?!"

I was too scared to post anything in this post because it did not seem to be the usual "nice" posts that I see on CC, however this comment actually made me laugh. I know the topic is serious but....... that was too funny! Tita9499 I really like your sense of humor.

all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #118 of 134

I don't want to ruffle any feathers....several have suggested that labels need to be checked...and they are OH SO RIGHT too! So, while reading this thread...I'm only at page 2 now...and being at the computer, I reached into the drawer and pulled out the canned air(or whatever you call it...blasting stuff to remove popcorn(eaten at the computer when threads are laden with drama) and other debris from the keyboard) and read everything on it....there isn't an ingredient listing. It does, however, state that it contains a bittergent to deter huffing. but it states nothing about butane or other ingredients...

all4cake Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:16pm
post #119 of 134

I imagine...if I were to have made a tiered cake and it was early in my caking experience, I would've tasted (did the 'num num' and spit it out) on every tier to determine a possible cause of the problem. My first thought would probably have been, "I used W----- fondant! I will never use that shikaka again!" "Hey! wait a minute! Lemme try this tier....I used the good stuff on this one. Oh (&&%%**&^&%#$#%$U^% !!! WTF IS THAT NASTYASS TASTE!????" Eyes flashing back and forth trying to think of all the steps I took....AH HA!!! Maybe it was the canned air...rushing to get the can.... Oh what a dumbass I am! it contains butane!!!! And then thank God that he was looking out for me and for those who would've received the cake had the dates not gotten mixed up. I believe everything happens for a reason.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:12am
post #120 of 134

I'd just like to say that I've been watching this post in hopes that the Drama Llama would make an appearance... and I am sorely disappointed. icon_cry.gif

DRAMA LLAMA!!! I LOVE YOOOOOOOUUUUUUU!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%