Dumb Serving ???

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm by LeckieAnne

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:07am
post #1 of 8

OK, I know it's dumb, but...if you are using the wilton cake serving chart and your read it as a two layer cake (meaning two pans of cake), if you are only using one pan of cake (torted and filled) does that mean you are only getting half the servings listed on the chart? Clear as mud? Thanks!

7 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:22am
post #2 of 8

Usually servings are for a 4 inch high cake - usually 2 pans of cake torted and filled. I bake 3 layers (less than 2 inches each) so I don't have to torte - but I still end up with a 4 inch high cake.

Hope that helps.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:23am
post #3 of 8

I am actually not sure, so here is big bump for you to keep this going.

Good Luck

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:28am
post #4 of 8

I believe someone pointed out once that Wilton sizes are based on 8 cubic inches of cake. So a 1x2x4 is 8 inches, but so is a 2x2x2. So if you only have two inches of cake, you'll get fewer servings, but you can figure out the right sizes by doing 2x2x2 for each serving.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:28am
post #5 of 8

From what I can tell & it's been a while since I read a Wilton serving chart, but it's based off 2 layers of cake, regardless if you decide to tort them or not. So say you tort both layers and end with 4 layers, thats still just a two layer cake. So those 2 layers are split and you get more servings, cause I believe their serving is like a 2x2x1 piece. I personally have my serving as a 4x2x1 and I get less servings then what Wilton says I should get regardless if I do a 2x2x1 or 4x2x1. I suggest you take your cake pans & mark off the servings to see what you get, do a cutting chart based off that, give a copy of your cutting chart to your client, BUT make sure to let your client know that is your estimate based off how YOU cut the cake, they may get more pieces or they may get less depending on how the the person who actually cuts the cake, cut is. Makes sense? icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 4:39am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoqeen

OK, I know it's dumb, but...if you are using the wilton cake serving chart and your read it as a two layer cake (meaning two pans of cake), if you are only using one pan of cake (torted and filled) does that mean you are only getting half the servings listed on the chart?

Yes.

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I usually do two-layer cakes, torte and fill each one. But, I am doing a mouse head cut out cake from a 10" square and for it to look proportional, I need to place it on a 14" round. According to Wilton, the 14" makes 63 servings and once I place the head on top, that's a lot of servings. They only need 50, so I thought I would only do a single layer for the 14' and a double layer for head. I am thinking that will make enough servings. I just wasn't sure if I could realistically say the 14" made 31 servings.

Can you tell I'm paranoid about not having enough cake?? I usually overdo....everything, always!! Thanks!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, if you did a single layer torted (basically 2" tall cake) - it would be half the servings. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%