Need How To For Cake

Decorating By JBCakesCo Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm by JBCakesCo

JBCakesCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JBCakesCo Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 7

Thank you in advance before you read this and see the picture.lol. Your probably going to think I'm crazy but a friend of mine is getting married in June and I'm doing her cake as her wedding present I'd love to do this cake for but wanted to see what all it would take to make it if anyone thinks they know how it was done please gives me some instructions I will do a test dummy soon just wanted to get some input from all you wonderful cakers on here! I see how the flowers are done and I can do that with my leaf cutters and fondant but the actual realtree look on the fondant and the etching into it I need to know how to do.
LL

6 replies
Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 3:42am
post #2 of 7

I know nothing about how to make this cake but my husband was sitting here next to me when I opened the page. He said, "Whoa! That's a cool cake!! Except the doe should not have horns."

So there you go, if you make it doe's dont have horns. icon_smile.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 6:15am
post #3 of 7

JB

Not sure if this is what you were asking but the fondant looks like it has been done with the marbeling technique of blending multiple colors by twisting & folding.

The woodgrain looks like it has been etched in by hand but you can purchase "woodgrain impression mats" for fondant/icing. Just google it.

I haven't done a cake like this myself but, if I had to, these are the techniques I'd use.

HTH

JBCakesCo Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks Juleebug! I'm going to look that up.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:54pm
post #5 of 7

I believe that Juleebug is absolutely correct about the marbeling and texturing. However the brown bark appears to be an overlay of a second layer of fondant.

1- base layer of gray marbeled fondant over each cake
2- selective layers of brown fondant.
3- texturing (In nature, there would be little if any texturing of the inner gray layer but with heavy texturing of the brown bark which hadn't peeled off.)
4- leaves and topper

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 7

I don't know....it kind of looks like airbrushing to me. Maybe they did the texturizing before airbrushing??

I agree about the doe. This topper is more of a "father/son" than a "husband/wife" so to speak.

JBCakesCo Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you Narie! Your explination is very detailed & I really appreciate it. Also to Jammjenks thanks about the doe my husband said the same thing.lol. I hope I can get this cake done and it be almost picture perfect, I plan to do a test dummy just one tier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%