18" And 20" Pans

Decorating By deetmar Updated 19 Mar 2009 , 4:45pm by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 9

when you make large cakes like this, do you use more than one heat core? If so, how many.

Any ideas on how to tort a cake this size? I did by an Agby, but I have only used it on 14" cakes.

Also, is it better to by 1/2 rounds than to use the larger pans?

I appreciate any help with this.

8 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 9

I've never done one, but would a cake that size even fit in a regular oven? If I tried I would probably feel more comfortable with half rounds, especially when torting.

deetmar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 9

I know the 18" fits, because I measured it before I bought it, and then put it in after it got here. I just don't know how many heat cores I am going to need.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 9

I just did a 14" and I used two flower nails for heating cores and it turned out perfectly...so maybe if you used three or four?

deetmar Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:21am
post #5 of 9

Thanks, I didn't think of flower nails, I usually use the heating cores, but it would be less holes if I use the flower nails. Great idea, thanks bunches.

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 9

Hi There--
I'm not trying to highjack your thread, but I had a question about the heat core or flower nails. If I use the flower nail, do I just stand it up in the center of the pan, in the cake batter before I put it in the oven? I have to make a 14 in soon.
Thanks!

deetmar Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #7 of 9

When I have used flower nails, you put the flat side on the bottom of the pan, so the nail side is sticking up out of the better. I'm not sure how many you will need for the 14", so I hope somebody answers us, but I think I will use four for the 14" and maybe 5 -6 for the 18" pans.

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 3:04am
post #8 of 9

You are right on track deetmar. I use 4 flower nails for my 14" pans and 6 for 16" and the cakes bake perfectly. For 18" and 20" pans there are 2 ways I use, I either use more nails i.e abt 8 and 12 for each or I use my own home made heating core which is a large can of green peas(empty of course LOL!!) with both ends cut out smoothly with a can opener, greased and flowered which makes it slide out smoothly from the cake when done and leaves virtually no holes in the cake. In case of any slight shrinkage of the inner cake, just slip it out after cooling, buttercream the sides and it fits back snugly into the main cake.

deetmar Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much for the tips. I will really need them next week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%