Pfeil & Holing In Queens, Ny

Decorating By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 17 Feb 2005 , 12:33am by Godiva

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 10

To those of you in the NY area--has anyone been to this store? I've been to their web site numerous times and want to go badly. (If not for anything else but that they sell Chefmaster gel/paste colors!) I'm thinking of taking a trip out there today; it's just about a 45 minute subway ride from where I live. I'd like to know if anyone has had any good or bad experieces. I usually go to the NY Cake Supplies store on 22nd Street in NYC, but they are so nasty and overpriced; I just hate going there. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 10

Do you prefer Chefmaster over Americolor? Why?? I am looking to but the Super Red and Super Black from someone online but would like to know what product is better.Thanks

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 10

To be honest, I've never tried either coloring. The only colors I've used are Wilton and the NY Cake Supply store brand. I've heard amazing things about Chefmaster (especially the red) so I want to try the brand. I'll post my opinions once I try it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks!! I 've only ever used wilton and you need the whole bottle to get a real red.I wanted to buy a larger gel bottle since I do so much red and black!! Post your thoughts after you try it!!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 10

Americolor is supposed to be awesome for creating true colors with very little. Not to mention their colors come in a squeeze bottle instead of a jar with a screw top lid icon_biggrin.gif And the bottles come in 2 sizes! What I like about the squeeze bottle vs the jar is that you don't open a lid and have color all over the lid and all over the threads on the jar. I keep my colorings in a jar and they are always tipping over as I close the drawer, especially if I close it too fast ouch.gif When I questioned the lady at the cake supply place that I got it at, about the product. She said it was just amazing at the true color that you get with little effort. She saw a product demonstration of it at their store and she loved the results it gave.
Now I paid about $1.80 for the little bottle icon_cry.gif , but I know that you can get it on the internet for much less. But at the same time- if you don't need to use as much as wilton colorings- I think it's well worth the money.
BTW- I used my green last night and loved it! I give it a thumbs_up.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 4:14pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks Mouse...That's what I wanted to know.I think I will order Americolor from Country kitchens.

icon_smile.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 10

Your welcome Kiddiekakes icon_biggrin.gif

mari Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mari Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 5:27pm
post #8 of 10

Hey Cookie Man.... don't waste your time!! I was just there 10 minutes ago..... They really do not have a showroom... you have to go through their catalog to see the stuff and then you fill out an order form... I am furious with the sales lady right now... I saw wafer paper in the catalog... I asked her if it was the same as rice paper, she said yes, exactly the same, but it's potato starch instead of rice... So I bought it.... just got home and IT'S NOTHING LIKE RICE PAPER!!! I don't even know what to use it for... So there goes $20.00 down the drain.. My DH is gonna KILL me!! icon_sad.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 16 Feb 2005 , 7:09pm
post #9 of 10

What timing--I just got back from there! We probably crossed paths! What a crummy little showroom. I was horrified at the dust and uncleanliness of it all. I literally was there for less than a minute. I wound up going to the NY Cake Supply store as usual. I didn't realize they carried Chefmaster gels, so I bought the junior set (4 colors). I will report back after using them in a day or so.

So sorry to hear about your waste of time and money! I have no tolerance for salespeople who give misinformation and/or just want to sell you something. If I were you, I'd call or go back and complain.

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 17 Feb 2005 , 12:33am
post #10 of 10

I wish I could've saved you from torture!
I was not impressed at all!!! thumbsdown.gif I had to wait for about 30 mintues after I placed my order. I ordered cake dummies 4" high, and after waiting that long, they cut them 3", so I had to wait a few more minutes. Even a cake pan I ordered had a dent in it, and they werent' quite happy when I asked for a change icon_confused.gif And the quality of those cake dummies leave much to desire...they're almost falling apart, and I haven't even gotten to decorate them yet, and they have rough markings on the top.

Now NY Cake Supplies...they are well stocked & over priced! But it's because they can. They're the only suppliers of that caliber in NYC! Also, they have the Ints. of Culinary Education across the streat, so students need whatever they need like yesterday; they're not going anywhere else but them. My goodness, I remember one day I was there, and the owners were in a heated argument... It was so tense that day that no one in the store was doing any talking at all! You could just feel the heat. Not very helpful either. It's like " This is what we have, you take it or you leave it".

Sorry Cookieman...wish I would've seen your post earlier...
BTW: Scott Wooley is having a "Creating a Custom Cake Business" seminar March 5th at 11am...It's worth the while, given he's been in the business for years.
Also, the FCI will be hosting the 2nd Annual Passion for Pastry Conference, in which several workshops will be given throughout the day, including Ron-Ben Israel, who is like the master of sugar flowers. It would be nice to meet some of you guys there icon_wink.gif I'll be attending Ron's demo (2nd time). For more info and registration you can go to www.pastryscoop.com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%