Carving "road Of Life"

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 7

I think I have the gist of the carving down, pretty much just cut the road into the side and then remove the chunk by cutting downward...

But how much larger do you bake your cakes to make sure there is enough?

I have to bake one today to feed 30 guests and was planning on doing it topsy style, two-tiers: an 8"9"10" bottom tier and a 7"8"9" top tier.

I'm just worried that cutting out the road won't leave enough.

Any words of wisdom out there?

6 replies
MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 7

Funny, I never get answers to serving size questions...

I know it's a lame question, I just wondered if anyone with experience carving a "road of life" cake had any tips.

I'll just bake way more than enough, I suppose. icon_wink.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 7

wish i could offer you help but i honestly havent a clue, And if youve got a bit left over, im sure the kids will help you 'dispose' of it lmao x hope you get your answer icon_smile.gif x

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 7

It's funny, it doesn't seem that hard to do until you are staring at your cake pans and trying to figure out how to make a spiral road without making an oval-shaped cake...

I wish I had styrofoam to play with. OH! I'll break out the kids Play Doh!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 7

Lmao icon_smile.gif Sounds like a plan, ive never done a cake as big as that so i really couldnt help! but i know just what you mean, i did a tackle box over the weekend, it needed to be rectangle but all i had was square, so hat to sit for half an hour working out where i would carve and -restack the sides and everything lol
Im sre it will be good though, cant you get some styrofoam from somewhere?

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 7

I have never done this kind of cake but jsmith has a cute cake that she has carved like the "road of life" cakes and I would guess that she used a 8 inch and 12 inch cake and then carved the cakes down to a 6inch and 10 inch. Here's a link to her picture. Maybe you could pm her.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=660033

MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks! I love jsmith...

I just realized how to do it: You have to use the size round you plan on using as the serving cake, then trace it on top of a bigger round.... Oh, blahblahblah....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%