Help, New To Fondant!

Decorating By flyladyrocks Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 2:37am by GI

flyladyrocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flyladyrocks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:44am
post #1 of 9

Okay, I have never used Fondant before, so I am wondering if I should just skip it for my daughters b-day cake (princess castle) or should I attempt it? I wasn't planning on using it but my best friend suggested I cover my ice dream cone towers with fondant b/c it is is easier than frosting. She said she likes marshmallow fondant, or to just buy it, but from what I've read here Wiltons fondant tastes horrible.

Then I thought , wow, I love the smooth look of fondant, maybe I should cover the layers too, but I have no ideas how to use it. For example, how do you not get wrinkles in in when you fold it over the sides and corners? (or around the angles of ice cream cone towers?)

I am such an amatuer at cake decorating, basically I just love creating fun cakes for my kids, do you think I will be taking on much to try fondant if I've never used it before? Am I nuts to try it? Am I likely to totally ruin her cake and be up all night long the night before rebaking and decorating?

I would love any of your tips, ideas or thoughts!

Thanks so much!

8 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:58am
post #2 of 9

You can totally do it. My first cake that I used fondant on was an airplane. There are several good videos that show how to do it. Make your own fondant (it's easy and tastes good). Take a deep breath. And if there are any wrinkles in it, have "vines" going up the sides of your castle.
Good luck.
PM if you have any more ?
LL

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:03am
post #3 of 9

Try my recipe for MMF - the glycerine in it helps make it more elastic so it covers corners and such with ease. You can find Wilton's glycerine in the cake supplies.
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7351-2-Marshmallow-Fondant---MacsMoms-BC-flavored-variation.html

Fondant does take a bit of practice though, so you might want to try it out on a small experimental cake first.

Once you lay it over the top, gently use your hands to smooth it around the sides, pulling the excess outward--away--from the cake to avoid those folds. It's not as stiff as you might think; it will stretch and conform.

After it has been smoothed with your hands, trim the excess then go over the cake with a fondant smoother to minimize bumps.

Tip: Don't roll the fondant too thin or it will ikely tear and will certainly show every little bump.

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:06am
post #4 of 9

there are some great tutorials on youtube on how to use fondant,
how to smooth, etc,
it's really not as scary as it sounds...
maybe give it a shot on a small cake first, just to get the feel, or even try covering a fake cake,
the mmf is really a tasty fondant much better than wiltons imo.
just be careful when making it, watch the amt of pwdred sugar you add in the second half, it can make it way to dry if you use it all, then it cracks and tears very easily, so add it slowly.
hth.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:13am
post #5 of 9

Welcome to CC flyladyrocks!!

Fondant can be done, that's for sure!! And your right, Wilton ready-made fondant is nasty. I've made MMF. I've also done 1/2 MMF & 1/2 Gumpaste combo, mixed really good together, for items that need an extra firm hold. MMF is softer to cut into and bite down on. icon_biggrin.gif

As a newbie, please take a few moments to familiarize yourself!

Acronyms:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-2926-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Comments on cakes (my personal fav! icon_wink.gif )
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-423993-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Posting in forums:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-11644-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Wickedly long cupcake thread (um, just thought I'd throw that one in)
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-582525-0-days0-orderasc-central.html

flyladyrocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flyladyrocks Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks all for your fondant input! I think I will go for it. I need to make cupcakes for tomorrow so I will make a little cake to try out on. I also need to make sure dd likes fondant, she loves buttercream (cake is really just a delivery system for the frosting!) and I know there will be a layer under the fondant but it may not be enough for her, so we will try everything out to make sure the princess is happy with her castle! At the very least I will cover the towers with MMF.
I better get off the internet, I think I may actually shut down the computer, this site is REALLY addicting and I am getting nothing else except planning her cake done!

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 9

The first fondant I used was Wilton, and it was very forgiving. I managed to cover the cakes and it didn't look too bad for not knowing a thing about fondant, but the taste....... I almost didn't ever try fondant again because of the taste.

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 9

Don't worry about using the fondant it is so easy. In my MMF I add cornsyrup (to help it strech a little more) and a little lemon juice to help cut down on the sweet flavor and everyone loves it that way.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:37am
post #9 of 9

WELCOME TO CC JENSENSCAKES! icon_biggrin.gif

Wow, I got to Welcome 2-for-1 thread! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Calling all newbies to CC: Image Get your welcome here!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(sorry guys...just got a little much sugar rush going on)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%