Gum Paste Flowers On Cake

Decorating By gerripje Updated 17 Nov 2016 , 8:01pm by naphel

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 2:18pm
post #121 of 150

Somebody is bound to have seen it, but since your request is buried in another thread totally off-topic from what you're seeking, you will have better luck starting your own topic.

Maybe you ought to entitle your thread, "Looking For Specific Flowers & Ladybugs Picture/Tutorial."

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:04pm
post #122 of 150

Thanks, you're right. I'll do just that. Was hoping to get away without starting another thread!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:02pm
post #123 of 150

And when you start that thread, can you post a link here too, I'd like to see the answer to your question! icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #124 of 150

Regarding the shelf-life (to use) gumpaste:

I mixed up (reconstituted) some gumpaste a few weeks ago and set it aside, tightly wrapped and in a container. It says on the package to use within TWO weeks. Can I still use it to practice with, or is it no longer any good?

Thank you.

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #125 of 150

Thanks to ApplegumKitchen, here's the link I've been looking all over for party.gif :

http://www.s ug ar c ra ftandcakedecorating.com/how-to.php?page=94

bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #126 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabz

Thanks to ApplegumKitchen, here's the link I've been looking all over for party.gif :

http://www.s ug ar c ra ftandcakedecorating.com/how-to.php?page=94

Sabz, I clicked on the link and got a warning notice that this is a malicious link. Can you check it please?

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #127 of 150

I think it's Culpitt if you do a search.

I haven't got any notifications about new posts, those other pictures that Cakepro posted are fabulous!! Seeing the calyx cutter used just gave me such a feeling of ohhhhhh, that's what you do. Now I am going to make a bunch of roses!! Thank you so much for sharing!

gerripje Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:36pm
post #128 of 150

Blah, I guess you know what the word is that got blocked!
Oh, there is no dots where all the spaces are..... where is my head this morning??

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #129 of 150

Cakepro...
Can you please tell me the brand and size on the calyx cutter that you use to cut the rose petal into 5 indiviudal petals? It looks like FMM - size??? 45mm 55mm or 70mm or is it the set of three by PME.

And then what size is the rose petal cutter that you are using? (The picture with the blue gumpaste). I have several different sizes of the JEM rose petal cutters - at least I think that is what you used.

Thanks

Cakepro Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #130 of 150

Oh goodness, I'm sorry, but I don't remember. It's been a couple of weeks since I took those pictures. I'm pretty certain that it was the largest JEM cutter that I used to cut the blue paste, but I don't recall what size calyx cutter that was - probably the largest one, though.

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #131 of 150

I've been trying to do large roses (There are some in my photos.)
My problem is the roses keep falling off the wire, I think maybe it might be that the wire isn't large enough. What gauge should I use for a large rose?
Thanks!
Emily

Cakepro Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 10:33pm
post #132 of 150

18g

kellertur Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #133 of 150

I'll try asking again. icon_smile.gif Once mixed, how long does the gumpaste remain workable/good? (if kept in a sealed container)

thanks icon_smile.gif

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #134 of 150

It seems to last quite a while but I usually put a little crisco on it before I wrap it up, double wrap and put in yet another bag.

I've had it last a couple months with only the edges getting too hard to use.

HTH

Cakepro Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #135 of 150

The enemy of gumpaste is air. Kept very well-sealed, it should last at least 6 months or more.

I make Nick Lodge's gumpaste in like 8 pound batches and keep it in the fridge. It lasts a long, long time.

kellertur Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #136 of 150

Thanks! I was concerned because the mix said "use within two weeks". I didn't get to it (was lazy and using fondant), but would really like to do some flowers this week.

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #137 of 150

O.K. here's some roses I just made using all the stuff I've learned from this thread. I am still using Edna's basic way of doing them but everything combined really helped. Plus, I finally got a new camera, so no more fuzzy stupid cell phone pictures!! party.gif
LL

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #138 of 150

Beautiful thumbs_up.gif

I assume you're using the 5 petal cutter. What size did you end up using?

gerripje Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #139 of 150

I really liked heating the end of the wire, using glue, I still sometimes had them come loose and wobbly.

Cakepro Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:40pm
post #140 of 150

Beautiful!!! icon_smile.gif

gerripje Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:21pm
post #141 of 150

No 5 petal cutter. I have the Wilton pink ones, but don't like them much. I use the circle cutters that came in the Wilton gum paste kit, the two green ones. I will eventually get other cutters, but the single ones work the best for me.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #142 of 150

This thread has been soooo very helpful! I have a question. for the smaller bud like roses do you put the petals on the spoon to get the curls?

Cakepro Posted 18 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #143 of 150

For smaller roses, I just curl the petals back with my fingers and they tend to stay, so I don't bother with putting them on spoons.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 18 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #144 of 150

Ok thanks Cakepro.

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Aug 2009 , 11:51pm
post #145 of 150

You know Cakepro, I'm going to have to try your method for the centers. I have a wedding cake coming up and I made the centers out of the little styrofoam balls, pinching the end to form a cone and even though I measured them against the petals of the 5 petal cutter (it came out the right size), my centers suck!! I can't get them tight enough and half the time you see the styrofoam (which totally bites!) icon_mad.gif The worst part is that I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong!! icon_confused.gificon_cry.gif

naphel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naphel Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 4:31am
post #146 of 150

Im after some advice please. I normally do my cakes in fondant and have been asked to do one with buttercream icing. I have made gum paste flowers for decoration but I am unsure how soon I can place these on the cake? (Will they soften?) I would appreciate any advise you can give me. Thanks

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 7:35am
post #147 of 150

I find that gum paste flowers hold up very well on BC providing the cake doesn't get placed in a closed container!

naphel Posted 16 Nov 2016 , 8:06am
post #148 of 150

Thank you. Do you think it would be too early to put them on on Thursday ready for Saturday.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 2:26am
post #149 of 150

That will be fine!

naphel Posted 17 Nov 2016 , 8:01pm
post #150 of 150

Thanks for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%