Tylose? Can It Be...

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 1:03am by 2txmedics

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, Im not familiar with Tylose but I wanted to know can karo clear sryup be used instead? if not ...what is the difference? sorry know its a dumb question...

What Im wanting to do is get a tiara mold..my friend made a tiara using fondant/tylose and then luster dust to give it that sparkle look. She said she used tylose. But the store is closed now, and I wanted to play with it tonight. What does tylose do? Taste?

THANKS

6 replies
jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #2 of 7

I think Tylose is an agent that is added to fondant to make it harden faster. You use tylose when you make homemade gumpaste as well.
HTH
Jen

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 7

Tylose is a kind of a gum product, and it helps--to oversimplify a bit--to turn your fondant into almost gumpaste. It's a plant product and is kind of like a clotting agent for plants icon_smile.gif.

Don't try to sub with corn syrup! That will not work at all. Corn syrup will make your fondant more pliable but it will not help it to dry faster or harder.

I know you mentioned the store is closed but if you cannot find tylose tomorrow, gum-tex works as a great substitute. Gum-tex is made of karaya gum and can be found wherever you find Wilton stuff. Another product that will work is gum tragacanth but I don't think I've ever seen that in any store other than cake supply stores.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 7

There is no such thing as a dumb question. I just wanted to add that. But the other poster answered it correctly. I have heard that it makes the gumpaste harder than with gumtex.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeandpartygirl

I have heard that it makes the gumpaste harder than with gumtex.

That is a good point! Gum-tex is definitely a "substitute."

Also I forgot to mention, that if you don't have any of those three powders--or cannot get any--you can take a portion of fondant and mix it 50/50 with premade gumpaste, this is what I actually do for my figures (but that's because I only just bought tylose a few weeks ago icon_smile.gif)

beenzee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beenzee Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #6 of 7

Tylose is a powder. I've never seen it in a store, I ordered it online. It is awesome. All I do is take pinches of it and knead it into my fondant. It dries quickly and hard like gumpaste. I use it for all my figures.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH, MY CC "FAMILY"...lol, no Im not "yelling"...just wanted to get the point out that I appreciate all of you out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%