Starting A Business? Getting Licensed?

Business By lisa5573 Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 12:38am by JenWhitlock

lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone,
I'm pretty new here, but I thought you may be able to help me out. I'm seriously considering renting out commercial kitchen space so that I can have a licensed business. I don't know where to begin. Do I rent the commercial kitchen space and then apply for the license? Who issues the license? Are there classes I would need to cake before I could rent the kitchen and get licensed? I've looked online but I can't seem to find any information to get me started.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lisa

3 replies
JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

others can help you more, but...
talk to your local Health Department (probably county? not sure in CO)
mine was really helpful and even had a really good list of the food safety courses required in IN.
you would need to talk to the kitchen owners to see if they had any specfic requirements.

the Health Dept will issue the license, but you should also get liability insurance.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 4

Logically, the HD won't issue a license until you have a place to bake in. But I also wouldn't actually sign any rental agreement until the HD is on board with the location. My HD told me they can say 'no' to rental locations if the location is too busy to allow time and space for a 2nd business.

They'll kinda go hand in hand together ... and less of a "first this ... then that"

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Debi!
once again she has put it so much better than me!
(if you folks haven't figured out yet, I'm better with cookies than words icon_rolleyes.gif )

anyway, what I ment was to go talk to the HD and get some info first... then come back when you ready to get serious about the license.

my HD offered to pre-check out a kitchen that I was considering, to see if it was going to work before I made any commitments.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%