Question Before The Disaster Happens

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 18 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm by Hawkette

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 14

Hi
I just made a large batch of chocolate MMF . I used coco powder not melted chocolate. I have made this before in smaller batches. Only this time the fondant seemed a little dry. So I spread a little crisco on it and wrapped in siran wrap, I do not need to use it till Wednesday.
So my question is this, if it happens to be dry the day I need to use it, is there anyway to salvage it before a complete disaster happens when I attempt to cover the cake? Can you bring a ready batch of fondant back from the brink of disaster? LOL.
I really hope you can.
Thanks for any and all input on this matter.

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 14

I see no one has been able to answer your ? icon_sad.gif
I'm sorry, I don't work w/MMF, much less chocolate MMF so I don't have any answers for you.
This reply is just to give you a 'bump' so some who does have the perfect answer for you will see it.

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 14

I've been able to rescue dry mmf not only with shortening, but I also add a little water to the mix. Just add a few drops at a time or you will end up with a sticky mess. I always wear food prep gloves because the fondant won't stick to the gloves as much as if I just do it with shortening on my hands. I just run my gloved hand under water, shake it off, then start kneading the fondant. It takes a little patience and a lot of kneading, but you can bring it back from the brink many times!

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 14

Also nuking it in the microwave for a few seconds helps. It re-melts the marshmallow and brings back some elasticity.

But BE CAREFUL, because it gets VERY hot VERY quickly this way!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 14

I wonder if it is really dry if you could warm it and try adding a few drops of chocolate syrup instead of water. Sounds good doesn't it?

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 14

I don't know if the warm chocolate syrup would work but it sounds really good! I think that's what I would try!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeco

Also nuking it in the microwave for a few seconds helps. It re-melts the marshmallow and brings back some elasticity.

But BE CAREFUL, because it gets VERY hot VERY quickly this way!

Just had to do this last week. It WORKS! I also added a little shortening as well. Good as new!

Beth in KY

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 14

I would love to know how you make chocolate MMF! can you pass that bit of knowledge my way!?
Thanks
and, I use water as well...warm tap when I need to soften my MMF up as well.

icon_smile.gif

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #9 of 14

the best way for me is rubbing the fondant with a little shortening and then put it in the microwave for 15 sec at a time.
I found that if you skip the shortening it might get dryer than it already was.
It does get really really hot, I got a nasty burn at the palm of my hand theother day 'cause the fondant looked solid and it was melted in the center, so be carefull and use short amounts of time of microwaving

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:56am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the bump" kakeladi"
And thanks for all the great ideas, this makes me much more at ease now.
As for my chocolate fondant, I add coco powder to my icing sugar before I add to the melted marshmellow. I added about 1/2 cup to a large batch of MMF. However there is a good recipe her on CC, only they use both coco powder and melted chocolate. I have not troed that one yet. Sounds good though.
Oh I also added 1/2 tsp vanila and 1/2 tsp butter flavor plus 1 tbsp water to my marshmellows before I added the coc power sugar mix.
Hope this helps.
I add as much coco for however strong I want the chocolate taste but you may need to add a little more water than normal.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 1:00am
post #11 of 14

In most recipes, when you add cocoa powder, it is supposed to replace the same amount of powdered sugar, flour, or whatever the base dry ingredient is.

My guess would be that there is now too much dry ingredient in your chocolate MMF. Try adding water, about 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until you get the consistency you want.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

In most recipes, when you add cocoa powder, it is supposed to replace the same amount of powdered sugar, flour, or whatever the base dry ingredient is.

My guess would be that there is now too much dry ingredient in your chocolate MMF. Try adding water, about 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until you get the consistency you want.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

That makes sence! Would the MM ratio also be knocked off(effecting the elasticity) in this case also? Not sure how you would add more of that in except to make a sticky mess in the process.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #13 of 14

Baking and pastry are more of a science than cooking is. With cooking, you can add or subtract ingredients according to your taste.

It is not always so with baking and pastry. The professionals do not call them recipes, they call them formulas. And formulas should almost never be messed with. All the "doctoring" which is done when baking a cake is an experiment, or a series of experiments which all failed until they finally got it right.

Therefore, the entire formula may have been compromised. Fortunately, there are enough CC members who regularly work with MMF, to coach you on how to correct this.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 8:12pm
post #14 of 14

I think you're on track with Crisco and water. Sometimes the texture is still weird, though, so I have also added corn syrup/glycerine to rescue dry chocolate fondant. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%