What Would You Charge?

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 11 May 2009 , 3:02pm by Kerry_Kake

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:21am
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

Thanks for your responses. Of course I am WAY underpriced but I only live in a 1300 populated village, lol. I only charged them $60 plus they gave me a $10 tip. Not too far off from the NL girl.
Nothing fancy about this cake, it is only Vanilla cake filled with buttercream. Not that much time into it really. Surprising it was really easy to do. I got the tutorial to carve TT on YouTube by janellscakes.
Now that you got your laugh on what I actually charged, I can now actually tell my customers what everyone else would charge for a cake like this.
To MomLittr, your cake is beautiful and you should charge $250 for that cake. There is a lot of time into the detail and the flowers. I would probably charge $150. But my prices are partly because I am a newbie. Who wants to pay high end prices on someone who isn't perfect?!?

Here's my question. If you went out to a restaurant for a nice meal--how much would they be charging for dessert?

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #32 of 42

k8memphis, dessert is one thing....cake is another. Wait, wait calm down, lol. I mean yes you can make cake a pretty delicate dessert with decadent fillings and what not. But I was talking about a simple cake with only buttercream filling. A restaurant around here might charge $3.50 per/slice (usually a carrot cake or something fancy) but if you bought the whole cake they would charge less. Yes I am underpriced comparing to you people, but in my area I am not! Compared to a co-caker she only charges $15 for a 9x13 sheet cake and I charge $25...so there you have it.
Oh wait lets compare something else.....what do you pay for a haircut? I am a professional hairstlyist as well and we only charge $10 for a cut and no dry. So as you can see our area cannot charge more! icon_sad.gif
Wish I lived in a city, I could make some serious $$$ being a hairstylist or caker!!! icon_biggrin.gif
PS. love your personality k8memphis....your a lot like me icon_wink.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:01am
post #33 of 42

I would charge $125. Very pretty cake you did a great job.

Kerry_Kake Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:08am
post #34 of 42

Thanks dmhart, I wish I could charge that! I really do, it's just not practical here. I would never sell any. It is interesting to know what others charge though. I've only been making cakes for 8 months and I am sooo addicted! Might not do hair anymore (considering it's too hard on my hands, exema) and stay home with my girls and make some cakes!!! thumbs_up.gif

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 10 May 2009 , 3:21am
post #35 of 42

With a love for it like that, I would say go for it!! I love cakes too. I quit my job as a Medical Technologist that I had been at for 15 years to do cakes. And I have never looked back. Some days are hard and long, mostly Thursdays and Fridays, but I love it. thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #36 of 42
Quote:

k8memphis, dessert is one thing....cake is another. Wait, wait calm down, lol. I mean yes you can make cake a pretty delicate dessert with decadent fillings and what not. But I was talking about a simple cake with only buttercream filling. A restaurant around here might charge $3.50 per/slice (usually a carrot cake or something fancy) but if you bought the whole cake they would charge less. Yes I am underpriced comparing to you people, but in my area I am not! Compared to a co-caker she only charges $15 for a 9x13 sheet cake and I charge $25...so there you have it.
Oh wait lets compare something else.....what do you pay for a haircut? I am a professional hairstlyist as well and we only charge $10 for a cut and no dry. So as you can see our area cannot charge more! icon_sad.gif
Wish I lived in a city, I could make some serious $$$ being a hairstylist or caker!!! icon_biggrin.gif
PS. love your personality k8memphis....your a lot like me icon_wink.gif

Lately I've been cutting my own hair so...

But just consider this--geez I looked at google and you are way out there huh--the closest restaurant is an hour & twenty miles away--not that I'm stalking or anything!!!

No but seriously, the fillings in that cake don't matter here. That is a sculpted cake. That is not your momma's birthday cake--know what I'm saying? A dollar-ish a serving is scary for that cake. You gotta put the value on it.

Consider giving for real invoices with the discount on it. Like a cake like that should be no less than five bucks per and we all know it. But I get the fact that you are in a very small area--so show the real world cost then give the reality bites discount. Just to make it fair for you and all of us.

People in NewBrunswick need to know the caliber of who it is they got baking for them and you need to tell 'em.

PS--my husband 's last haircut was like $12 but I go for the $25-$30 when I go and I tip good. icon_biggrin.gif I could be your favorite customer-- icon_lol.gif

Kerry_Kake Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

But just consider this--geez I looked at google and you are way out there huh--the closest restaurant is an hour & twenty miles away--not that I'm stalking or anything!!!

No but seriously, the fillings in that cake don't matter here. That is a sculpted cake. That is not your momma's birthday cake--know what I'm saying? A dollar-ish a serving is scary for that cake. You gotta put the value on it.

Consider giving for real invoices with the discount on it. Like a cake like that should be no less than five bucks per and we all know it. But I get the fact that you are in a very small area--so show the real world cost then give the reality bites discount. Just to make it fair for you and all of us.

People in NewBrunswick need to know the caliber of who it is they got baking for them and you need to tell 'em.

PS--my husband 's last haircut was like $12 but I go for the $25-$30 when I go and I tip good. icon_biggrin.gif I could be your favorite customer-- icon_lol.gif

How do you know which part of NB I live, huh? icon_confused.gif We have restaurants here! Maybe not chain restaurants but family ones. The closest chain restaurant would be a half hour drive.
As for the price on that carved TT cake it was my first time, and the man that ordered a cake for his wife could of cared less what I did. But I really wanted to try one so I already told him the price ahead of time. Who knows it could of turned into a disaster! Honestly doing a TT is not hard at all, maybe some people would find it difficult, I don't know. I guess it just comes naturally to me. icon_smile.gif

PS. go get your hair cut!!! LOL! It really erks us when you cut it yourself and then we have to fix it! icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif
Later k8, see ya around!

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 10 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #38 of 42

I charge between $6 - $7.50/serving for a TT cake. I would consider going a little lower in price for the 2-tier cake the OP posted. However, TT cakes are time consuming, labor intensive, and a royal pain in the you know what. icon_lol.gif As far as I'm concerned, if someone wants one bad enough especially for a wedding cake, they'll pay the price. Remember that you're baking more cake than you would for a round or square cake, and need to compensate for that. My per serving price may deter some people from getting a TT design, but that's fine with me because I don't like doing them. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 10 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #39 of 42
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

How do you know which part of NB I live, huh? icon_confused.gif We have restaurants here! Maybe not chain restaurants but family ones. The closest chain restaurant would be a half hour drive.
As for the price on that carved TT cake it was my first time, and the man that ordered a cake for his wife could of cared less what I did. But I really wanted to try one so I already told him the price ahead of time. Who knows it could of turned into a disaster! Honestly doing a TT is not hard at all, maybe some people would find it difficult, I don't know. I guess it just comes naturally to me. icon_smile.gif

PS. go get your hair cut!!! LOL! It really erks us when you cut it yourself and then we have to fix it! icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif
Later k8, see ya around!

I don't know where you live--I just saw New Brunswick, Canada & there's a town named New Brunswick besides the province so I googled the city.

It irks me when someone asks a question they then try to avoid the answer to--why even ask it?

How about a barber charging a dollar a haircut for the new styles and just saying, Oh well there's not many people around here. Oh I'm new at this. I mean you decide how wrong you might think that is or how much other barbers would take that lying down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was a cosmetology apprentice probably before you were born--my hair is perfectly blunt cut. icon_biggrin.gif

Kerry_Kake Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:45pm
post #40 of 42

k8, there is a New Brunswick city in NJ but no city named that in Canada. icon_wink.gif Well as charging for hair, we all have our prices around the same so we can't up our price or we would get no customers! Same goes with the cakes!!! But like I said I am $10 over my competitor. I just WON'T do it for the same price she does. If I don't get anybody because of it then so be it. Only because this is a hobby and not my profession.
You took cosmetology? Well great, you can cut your own hair then icon_wink.gif But it is still more difficult to do so. I won't tell you how many years I've been a hairstylist for icon_surprised.gif

-K8memphis Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:55pm
post #41 of 42
Quote:

k8, there is a New Brunswick city in NJ but no city named that in Canada. icon_wink.gif Well as charging for hair, we all have our prices around the same so we can't up our price or we would get no customers! Same goes with the cakes!!! But like I said I am $10 over my competitor. I just WON'T do it for the same price she does. If I don't get anybody because of it then so be it. Only because this is a hobby and not my profession.
You took cosmetology? Well great, you can cut your own hair then icon_wink.gif But it is still more difficult to do so. I won't tell you how many years I've been a hairstylist for icon_surprised.gif

Of course I can cut my own hair just like you can underpice the industry--free will.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=new+brunswick+canada&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=8joISve0MNuptgfkrtz5Bg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=18

Kerry_Kake Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #42 of 42

And that link is supposed to tell me where I live, lol icon_smile.gif
Yup, I live in the province of NB, proud of it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%