Choco Wasc Cake- Same Recipe Cupcakes Dry...whats Wrong?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 6:58am by JanH

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #1 of 15

Anyone ever make cupcakes from leftover chocolate wasc? Why are the cupcakes always dry and the cake is moist? Do you use a different recipe for cupcakes? icon_confused.gif

14 replies
cocobean Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:34am
post #2 of 15

...any ideas?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:33am
post #3 of 15

I've never made the chocolate WASC, only the original, and the cupcakes were very moist. I've used the same recipe for cakes and cupcakes many times, and haven't really noticed a difference, except once or twice the cupcakes were too light (if that makes any sense). They were moist and flavorful, but just seemed like there wasn't enough cake there.

Is it possible that they are being overbaked?

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:00am
post #4 of 15

I made 5 dozen cupcakes from Kakeladi's wasc recipe with lemon extract instead of vanilla last weekend, they turned out great, super moist... I have never used the chocolate wasc recipe.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:18am
post #5 of 15

ha,ha I made WASC cupcakes and they were wet and tasted a bit like a raw biscuit what happened does the cake come out like that ? I need to know too b/c I'd love to try it agian .

What about the original how does baking with no fat or oil make a good cake ,Witch one's better cc'rs ? I just ask b/c I am afriad to make a batch of something and have to dump it ,, I bake to much as it is already ya know !

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 11:28am
post #6 of 15

I made chocolate WASC using kakeladi's recipe but with chocolate BC mix. It tasted so good and moist. What temp did you bake them? for long? I preheat the oven at 425 then lower it to 350 when i put the cupcakes in cause i like them to dome.

i even had some left in the fridge uncovered for up to three days, they stayed as moist and as good.

snowflake12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowflake12 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 15

My only thought would be you baked them too long. I've done that before when I wasn't paying attention and baked them for the time stated for an actual cake. I had forgot to reduce the time since they were cupcakes.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 15

I agree the WASC choco cupcakes are AWFUL!! It's not that they're dry... they are just too airy and fluffy! It's like biting into a sponge. Yuck!

I've tried lowering the temp, shortening the baking time... haven't found a solution yet. Seems there's just too much leavening going on.

In the meantime, I either use a different choco recipe for cupcakes or fill the WASC choco cupcakes with choco fudge.

cocobean Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 15

...o.k. I baked the chocolate wasc cupcakes at 350 degrees (for about 20 minutes) because I want them a little dommed to. If you bake them at 325 like you would bake the cake, the cupcakes will come out flat or worse than that, a kind of a melted flat look. I described my cupcakes above as dry but I think my husbands exact words were more like what DianeLM said, airy and fluffy. Not at all like the consistence when baked in a cake. In my defense, I even put them in an airtight container and froze them overnight, then defrosted them in the same container without taking off the lid, before I frosted them. The freezing aways make the cake more moist. Now, I do need to taste them this morning after having them (frosted) in an airtight container all night. The frosting sitting on them in the airtight container all night might have added some moisture.
Stay tunned for that outcome!

I agree the (white) wasc cuppies come out better but still not quite the same as the cake. Can't figure out the science of it. icon_confused.gif

I know I can probably put some filling in the middle (they are just for our family) but...I really want to figure this out. It's driving me crazy! Anyone have a recipe that tastes more like you get with the chocolate wasc cake but with cuppies?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 15

I have. I used kakeladi's recipe and with Betty Crocker chocolate cake mix.

cocobean Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #11 of 15

I just tried the cupcakes after sitting frosted in an airtight container all night (breadfast you know) they are more moist!

Still want to find a recipe that doesn't take as long so we can enjoy them sooner.

Thanks kakeladi I'll have to test B Crocker when I make cupcakes.

kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #12 of 15

Ok thats good to know the CAKE comes out better . I will take a chance and make it agian hopefully I won't mess it up to bad agian it is for a Wedding Cake { Someone on here said it is fool proof lol} Ok I'll keep that in mind .

JaimeAnn Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:56am
post #13 of 15

Kakeladi's recipe is the best...The one with NO oil or shortening... It is always moist and mine are never to airy or fluffy..

JaimeAnn Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:58am
post #14 of 15

This is the one I use , I'm sure if you use a choc cake mix it would work .

Kakeladi's ORIGINAL WASC
1 pkg Betty Crocker white cake mix
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3 whole eggs (even for white cakes)
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond emulsion (stronger than flavoring)

In a bowl, mix 1st 3 ingredients. (see notes below) Set aside.
Place remaining ingredients in mixer bowl then add the dry.
Mix on low (I use a KA mixer) speed for 30 seconds, until dry ingredients are incorporated; mix at medium 2 minutes.
This makes 1 & 1/2 times the usual batter than a 'straight' cake mix. It will fill one of the following pans: 8" sq; 12" round; 9x13x2; OR one 10" and 6" round.
Pour into pan(s) and bake as you usually do. I prefere to bake at 300 degrees F. for 20 minutes, then turn oven up to 325 degrees F. for an equal time OR until you can smell cake Smile If it has pulled away from the edges of the pan it is *over done*. You should have a flat cake that won't (usually) need leveling & is not sticky on the top when it cools.

Special NOTES:
That's right.......there is NO oil, butter or margarine in this recipe.
Use large eggs.
If almond extract (not emulsion) is used, add 2 teaspoons or to taste.
Can use ANY cake flavor
Flavorings can change depending on cake flavor you use. Try a combination of 1 part vanilla, 1/2 part butter flavoring and 1/4 part almond.
It is important to mix the dry ingredients well especially if using a chocolate mix or you will have white spots in the finished cake. I use a wire wisk.

Toriani syrups can be used as flavoring, or liquid extracts
liquid extracts=2 tsp.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 6:58am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim62808

ha,ha I made WASC cupcakes and they were wet and tasted a bit like a raw biscuit what happened does the cake come out like that ? I need to know too b/c I'd love to try it agian .

What about the original how does baking with no fat or oil make a good cake ,Witch one's better cc'rs ? I just ask b/c I am afriad to make a batch of something and have to dump it ,, I bake to much as it is already ya know !

I've made both basic versions of the WASC with and without oil - both were great!

If your baked goods are wet and tasting like biscuits, you're probably underbaking, mismeasuring the flour and overmixing.

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

How do you measure your flour?

Did you aerate the flour before spooning it gently into your measuring cup and leveling with a knife drawn across the top of the cup... Or did you scoop and drag your measuring cup through the flour and shake to level?

Scoop and drag packs the flour in the cup, resulting in more than the recipe specified which results in a "floury" cake that can be "heavy".

Are you sifting your dry ingredients prior to mixing. (Trying to beat the lumps out of your batter can toughen the finished cake because of overmixing.

When I make any of the WASC cake recipes, I sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl, and mix all the wet ingredients in a second larger bowl.

Then I add the dry to the wet and beat for 2 mins. using a hand mixer at medium speed.

If using a stand mixer, I would mix at the lowest speed for 2 mins. or less.

When it comes to mixing, MORE is definitely not better. Using a higher speed or mixing longer than recommended will result in a heavy, and chewy/rubber cake.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%