Do You Think I Can Use The Dowel Method On A 4 Layer Cake?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm by KoryAK

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #1 of 12

This is the first LARGE cake I've been asked to do. It's supposed to feed at least 100 people. I really don't want to buy anything else for this cake. I've spent enough already. The person who I'm making it for is demanding all these things all of a sudden. I'm just irritated, sorry to vent. icon_rolleyes.gif Oh, and did I mention it was a gift?

11 replies
kim62808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kim62808 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 12

I don't have alot of cakes posted but most of my cakes I made where gifts too,, here's the thing about gifts u can make oopps and say well sorry and they can't complain b/c they did'nt pay ,, or they can complain but whatcha gonna do .

Now back to the cake part I have made a 6-7 layer cake layering it horizontal then long ways { pwer ranger } This was my first cake I think I put a dowel or 2 in it it was when I had no clue about layering { I used no boards } lol . It was fine . I also have a football cake that is posted on here and it was pretty heavy and large no doweld he,he . OOPS , I think the main problem is wieght they can want to crack in the middle sometimes { bow } But just use a bad a- bottom board to support that middle Ps for round you can just use dowles and cut ur cake boards { free boxes or water bottle boxes } a tip I have learned when u don't have a good support system ,, be careful on ur fillings that is my problem { coolwhips , puddingd jelleys make this sucker slide ,, maybe stick to a thin buttercream layer until u get the hang of it .
LL

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 12

You can use dowels but I've had them shift and it wasn't a pretty site. You can also use straws (lots of them) and probably have better luck. Bubble tea straws are the best. If you have an Asian Market near you can get them there or go to McDonalds or somewhere that has big fat straws.

dcabrera Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

You can use dowels but I've had them shift and it wasn't a pretty site. You can also use straws (lots of them) and probably have better luck. Bubble tea straws are the best. If you have an Asian Market near you can get them there or go to McDonalds or somewhere that has big fat straws.

Are you saying a regular drinking straw will hold better than a dowel? On a 4-5 tiered cake???

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 12

Not a regular straw, a bubble tea straw. They are about 1/2" in diameter and non-flexible. Google them and you'll see what they are.

They're what Duff uses on Ace of Cakes, and I've been thinking of trying them myself...it would save me a ton of $.

You can also get Wilton hidden pillars or their hollow dowels, either of which would work.

If this cake only needs to feed 100, you could do that with a 6, 9, 12" round. Don't give away the farm...

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 12

Dowels are fine and not that pricey either if you get them at a cake store. I just did a four tier cake at 5 inches or so tall and used dowels and it was fine and I had to drive it to the site.. that was about an hour way and it did not move.

I have never tried the straws but I know a lot of people use them.

icon_biggrin.gif just had to add my cake... I was so happy with it!
LL

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 12

4 tiers or 4 layers? either way dowels work great - have done a 7-tier stacked cake - transported 20 miles on mediocre roads - fully stacked - no problem.... 3/16" wide dowels to support tiers -if you are talking 4 tiers please remember to use a central dowel down the center of all your tiers to keep things a little more stable ( I use 1/4" dowel)!

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #8 of 12

I just bought (but haven't tried yet) SPS. I hear a lot of people rave about them and they aren't very expensive at all. There are instructions for them in the "how do i" forum.

dcabrera Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:46am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrier

Dowels are fine and not that pricey either if you get them at a cake store. I just did a four tier cake at 5 inches or so tall and used dowels and it was fine and I had to drive it to the site.. that was about an hour way and it did not move.

I have never tried the straws but I know a lot of people use them.

icon_biggrin.gif just had to add my cake... I was so happy with it!

Terrier! That cake is awesome!!! I will now be able to sleep knowing you used plain dowels on that cake.

Holly,
I've been wanting to try the sps, but I'm worried my cake won't be the perfect size. I also don't want to invest anymore money. Although, I am thinking of purchasing those huge straws everyone is talking about.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 12

The bubble tea straws are inexpensive if you can get them locally.Probably less then $3.00 for a big bag.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

The bubble tea straws are inexpensive if you can get them locally.Probably less then $3.00 for a big bag.

They are a lot easier and faster to cut too. I use a combination of bubble tea straws and sharpened dowels where I need them.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 12

I use regular drinking straws up to 4 tiers all the time. After that I start adding a few wooden dowels in with them per layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%