How Do I Make A Really Red Icing?

Decorating By blueberrycheesecake Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 6:01am by blueberrycheesecake

blueberrycheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueberrycheesecake Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:33am
post #1 of 11

I make buttercream icing and I wanted to make it really red.

I bought a bottle of Red Red Americolor, but I put on a few drops, and it didn't turn out red at all. It was a bit lighter that I had in mind. How much of this should I be using? Should I use all of it in my icing?

Need Help! thanks.. icon_sad.gif

10 replies
millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #2 of 11

You can use quite a bit, and it won't affect the flavor or texture. I am IN LOVE with Americolor now! icon_biggrin.gif Red is the first color I used of theirs, and I will never go back to Wilton again!

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 11

You definitely shouldn't have to use the whole bottle. I use Americolor Super Red (Red Red would probably be similar) and I would say it should take a few generous squeezes for an entire batch of buttercream. Also the color develops over time. You should notice a deepening of the color within a few hours.

Lovelymeets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelymeets Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 11

Just keep on adding red color till the time it reached the intensity u want, if u are using americolor it shouldnt affect the taste. If i need red icing i make atleast 10 -12 hours before i would really need to use it. With time the red color deepens and becomes more intense

sherik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherik Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 11

I use red liquid food coloring for this ( grocery store spice/baking isle)
and add it to my milk so it won't be too runny from the extra fluid.
Usually 3 Tablespoons. If it is too thin after mixing I add more sifted confectioners sugar until it is right.

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:48am
post #6 of 11

Make pink first then add red.

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 11

I also use red food coloring but I hear Americolor is great ~ good luck! thumbs_up.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #8 of 11

Americolor super red always works for me, it does take a few hours to develop so make it the night before or early in the day. Then if you need to add more you can.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #9 of 11

If you want red instantly and only want to use a few drops try chefmaster liqua gel colors. Same goes for black.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:51am
post #10 of 11

Icing that looks pink will dry red. If your wet icing is the red color you want then you have added way to much dye. Adding too much of any kind of red will affect the icing taste.

I test the color like this. Spread a spatula full of icing on the back of a white plate. Let it sit for half an hour, then check your color. Remember, it will darken even more overnight.

blueberrycheesecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueberrycheesecake Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:01am
post #11 of 11

hey guys! thanks for all the feedback.. =)

I waited and the red color did came in later. It looks great! =) Especially on the cupcakes!

You can check the link here : http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-photos-by-blueberrycheesecake.html

icon_smile.gif God bless y'all!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%