Kitchen Cakes

Decorating By sugarspice Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm by kakeladi

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 2

I am getting back into wedding cakes and am finalizing my price list, etc. I bake from my home. While checking websites of other local bakeries, I noticed "kitchen cakes" listed as a cheaper way (slightly) to provide cake.
Do I understand correctly that they would be (2) sheet cake slabs with filling in the middle, and therfore sliced 1x2 (and 4" high) ??
Also-do they slide or shift much during transport and need any dowels to prevent this??
In the past, the weddings I have done have ordered sheet cakes for extra servings-just a single layer, cut 2x2.
thanks!!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 2

It depends on the decorator as to whether you do 4" w/filling or the 'standard' 2x2x2 w/o filling.
I almost always just did the latter. Many people think since it's a wedding it should be the same as the wedding cake so the guest does not know they didn't get *the* wedding cake.
The advantage of doing them cheaper is you don't have to decorate them. Just ice & border.
So you can see they aren't all that much cheaper to do - maybe just a bit faster. Don't discount them more than say 50 cents a serving.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%