Premade Filling...questions

Decorating By shannonlovebug Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 3:15am by indydebi

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 12

I usually make my own fillings but I saw some premade (comes in a sleeve) at my local cake supply place and decided to give it a try for my next cake.

Anyways, it doesn't have an expiration date so I'm wondering how long this stuff is good for (it's coconut flavored).
If I don't use it all how long will it keep in the fridge? for how long?
Can I add whip cream to it to make a mousse?

Also I was thinking of doing a chocolate almond cake to go with the coconut filling (sort of like almond joy candy bars) but would like some other ideas as well. What else goes good with coconut?

Oh, one last thing...do most people buy the premade stuff or make their own? I can't believe how cheap it was (sure hope it tastes good!), I can't make it for that price.

11 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know how long it lasts before you open it, but I read on a website (maybe countrykitchensa?) that it will last 6 months in the refrigerator after you open it...

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 12

Yikes, what kind of preservatives are in this stuff? LOL, thanks for the info!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 12

Mmmmmmmmm! Preservatives! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 12

A year unopened.......at least 6 months in frig. They can be fzn also.

babycakes0022 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes0022 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 12

Since we're on this topic, does anyone know if you can freeze fillings and if so for how long? Can mousse fillings and cream fillings be frozen? TIA

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:35am
post #7 of 12

NOT a fan of the sleeve fillings.........sorry icon_sad.gif To me they have a "plastic" or "canned" taste to them.

Fillings are simple to make and yes you can freeze them if you need to. I've never frozen mousse or cream fillings.

I recommend that you make a sample cake for yourself first with the sleeve stuff and be sure that you like the taste before you use it on a "paid" client's cake. Yes, they're cheap, but they're cheap for a reason IMHO.

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:51am
post #8 of 12

I just bought a sleeve of "chocolate bavarian" filling. Eew! It tasted gross. Like corn starch with a very fake flavoring. It didn't even taste like chocolate. I bought a vanilla cream filling and I'm afraid to try it now.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #9 of 12

I never looked close enough to notice, but do they have an ingredient list on them?

I'm sure that there isn't even an ounce of real chocolate in that chocolate bavarian filling. I don't understand how they can sell that stuff, to me it's on the same level with the Wilton fondant.

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #10 of 12

I've just started taking Wilton classes and the instructor used the regualr bavarian as a filling in a cake that she shared with the class. I didn't like it at all.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:07am
post #11 of 12

The bavarians are disgusting but I like the raspberry one and I am going to try the coconut cream one tomorrow. Hopefully it will be better than the bavarian!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #12 of 12

I dont' like the bavarians either, but then I don't care for bavarian anyway, so I figured it was just my personal taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%