Diabetic Cake

Baking By ddaigle Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 1:59am by JodieF

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 8

I am currently baking my 2nd diabetic cake. Both have the appearance of bread dough. Is this normal for sugar free cakes? This one has buttermilk and asked for "cake flour"....the first one had regular flour and pineapple juice. The first one was very dense....pretty blah. I'm hoping the second one currently baking is better. I've went to cooks.com and recipezaar and here and not finding much. Any suggestions??????????? Deb

7 replies
ddaigle Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 8

????

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 8

Deb,
When I make diabetic cakes, I just use my standard recipe and switch reg. sugar for Splenda Brown Sugar (even if the recipe calls for granulated sugar.) My chocolate cake is a huge hit!! I have had a lot of luck with this method. For frosting, I whip SF Jello instant pudding with manufacturing cream. It makes a whipped mousse type frosting. I can add a little extract or SF flavored syrup to give it a little more variety. I fill the cakes with the same. The cakes come out more rustic looking, but my diabetic clients love them. I do always let my clients know how I prepare the cakes. Therefore, if they have any issues with any of my ingredients, they can let me know ahead of time.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 8

It really depends on the ingredients you use. Can you post the recipe? It may be easier than to see what could be wrong.

I know splenda can bake up a bit funky. It's not supposed to be cooked higher than 350. I usually cook it at 325 just to be on the safe side. Remember that sugar can provide volume and texture to a cake recipe... so using splenda sometimes off-sets the recipe.

Also, try adding 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder and 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda for every 1 cup of SPLENDA® Granulated and check around 7 minutes early for doneness as splenda seems to bake cakes quicker.

My dad is diabetic (type-1) and I used to try to bake him 'low-sugar' cakes but found they had just as many carbs (which is what most diabetics count) so I stopped doing that. I found that what worked best for him was for me to make a normal recipe, lower in sugar if possible, but nothing drastic, and then figure out the exact amount of carbs per serving so that he would know what he was eating. If you're the diabetic disregard what I just said and obviously do what works for you icon_smile.gif

ddaigle Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 8

Here are the two recipes I used: Maybe splenda cakes just have a funky texture??? I am making this for a diabetic and "sugar free" vs. low carb is being requested.

From Cake Central:
1/4 cup softened butter
2/3 cup granular splenda
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup 1% milk
1/3 cup pineapple or apple juice

From Splenda.com  
1 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend
3 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, divided
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 8

I like to use this recipe from Splenda.com when someone orders a chocolate diabetic cake. I'm sure if you need a vanilla one there should be one on their site. But this one is good and moist. It is not dense at all. It is called Died and Went to Heaven Chocolate Cake.
1 3/4 c all purpose flour
1/2 c splenda no calories sweetner, granulated
1/2 c splenda brown sugar blend
3/4 c cocoa powder
1 1/2 ts baking powder
1 1/2 ts baking soda
1/2 ts salt
1 1/4 c low fat buttermilk
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 ts vanilla extract
1 c hot strong black coffee
1. preheat oven to 350 and prepare two 8 inch pans
2.blend flour, sugars,baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt in mixing bowl
3. combine buttermilk,oil,eggs,vanilla and coffee in seperate bowl
4.add flour to mixture, using mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes
5. pour batter into pan
6.bake for 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

calories 220, calories from fat 70,total fat 8g, dietary fiber 3g,saturated fat 2g,sugar 12g,cholesterol 45mg,protein 6g, sodium 390mg, total carbs 32g

ddaigle Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #7 of 8

I think if I split the layers and add a fruity sugar free filling, it may be better. Was just wondering if a sugar free cake's batter has the same thick texture as a pound cake that both of mine did.

Jawdropping: I could not find a vanilla version of your chocolate on splenda.com. The second one I made today was from splenda.com..called yummy yummy yellow..or something like that.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:59am
post #8 of 8

ahhhhhh....but diabetics are supposed to eat low carb. It's the carbs that make your blood sugar spike, not just the sugar.

My mom is diabetic, and, like a previous posted stated, she would much rather adjust her carb intake for a day and eat a small piece of regular cake, than eat a not so great diabetic cake that is still relatively high carb.

Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%