Food Network "disney Classics Cake Challenge" Toni

Decorating By AshleyV Updated 21 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm by xstitcher

AshleyV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleyV Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 69

I just wanted to take a moment to let everyone know that a new Food Network Challenge will air tonight at 8pm EST. There were some scheduling changes made in the middle of last week and this episode had been scheduled to air in June but was moved to today.............so hope you don't miss it!
I am Ashley --- one of the competitors tonight, and this was the first challenge that I had done!
I have been a board member for a while (b/c of time restraints I generaly have just lurked), I have been an ICES member for around 8yrs now, and am very acitve in the GA ICES group. I have met many of you over the years with ICES, classes, and just by email connections; and thought you would like to know about the challenge.
I just want you all to know that I am a "regular girl" icon_smile.gif I don't have an upscale bakery in NY and charge $20-$30 a serving for my cakes, I didn't go to culinary school, I don't have a book out (yet..), and I started as a home decorator like many of you and have just become legal a few months ago...
Now, I would LOVE to charge that much someday icon_smile.gif I enjoy taking classes and there is A LOT I have to learn still. I told you all of this b/c I have read many posts regarding the Food Network Challenges and just wanted everyone to know that it is possible for more unknown decorators (like many of us/like me) to make it somewhere icon_smile.gif Don't give up if it is your passion, sometimes it just takes time, and patience is not easy to learn (I know b/c I don't have it)
I also want to say "THANK YOU" to all of you out there that have been in the industry for sooooo long and really paved the way for me. Custom cakes are becoming more and more popular in recent years, but it is b/c of work, innovations, cool products/tools, cakeclubs,ICES, classes that many of you have been the forefathers and backbone of for years. I think that culinary school is wonderful (and wish I had gone), but the techniques and skills that I learned were all from fellow decorators sharing with each other, demos at conventions, classes and books. Places like Cakecentral are great in bringing together people of similar interest, but from all backgrounds, places, and levels of knowledge and have helped me and many others become better at what we do and continue to grow. So, I hope that all of you can feel like a part of this and share in my excitment and also know how priveleged I felt being given an opportunity to be in a challenge.
My website will also go "live" today(by late afternoon early evening), so I hope you all check it out when you have time (it is still a work in progress)
www.Sweet-Ashleys.com

Thanks again!!! Hope to see many of you at convention this summer!

68 replies
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 69

Wow! Thanks for the heads up! I'll set my DVR to record right now! Congratulations on competing!!!

kates_kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kates_kakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 69

Congratulations!!! I would love to get to the point you are at. I would love to participate in a challenge someday but I know i have a long ways to go. I will definitely be tuning in to watch!! Congratulations again!!! icon_biggrin.gif

hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 69

Thanks for letting us know Ashley, i'll sure be watching and recording it, good luck!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:08pm
post #5 of 69

Thanks Ashley. I will be tuned in.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 69

I was planning on watching it tonight but it will be all the more exciting knowing that a regular CC member will be on.

thank you so much for reminding everyone.

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 69

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Ashley, you are really inspiring icon_smile.gif And congratulations on being in the challenge!!! (I set my dvr as soon as I read your post) icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 69

thanks for the heads up and the inspiration that we all can achieve success due to the others before us. You are now one that we can follow. Congratulations and I can't wait for the show!

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 69

thanks so much for letting us know, I set my dvr, can't wait to see it.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:27pm
post #10 of 69

I can't wait!!!!! So glad I checked in today!! It's going to be so much fun to 'meet' you! It's wonderful that you're there.....did you apply or did they find you and ask you to participate?
Congratulations!! See ya' tonight!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 69

Thanks Ashley...........I'll be cheering you on! Don't be a stranger icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck~
Deb icon_smile.gif

tifscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tifscakes Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 69

thanks ashley thats awesome
people like you who came up the hard way learning by trial and error
give me hope. it would of been nice to go to cake school, but that just didn't happen for me . I watch ace of cakes and just druel ha ha ha
i have so much to learn !
I'll be watching
TIF

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #13 of 69

Wow..never miss a Challenge Show...Exciting to know that you will be on and can put a face to the name.makes it even more intriquing..Congratulations!!!!

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:11pm
post #14 of 69

I will be glued to the TV tonight to watch you Ashley! How exciting that you are going to be on there. The best of luck to you! icon_biggrin.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:14pm
post #15 of 69

Thanks Ashley, I'll be watching! thumbs_up.gif

Chonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonya Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:19pm
post #16 of 69

I just happened to watch some of it last night. Which cake was yours?

Grats by the way that is awsome

jlynnw Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #17 of 69

I missed it I guess, I saw this episode already, which cake did you do? Was it the same as the one with Bronwen having problems with her cake? The find your family one? congrats and I am sorry I missed it. icon_cry.gif

nannie Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 11:54pm
post #18 of 69

no, no I think it's about to start....... 7pm central time.

that was a re run

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:14am
post #19 of 69

Go Ashley!

jlynnw Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:14am
post #20 of 69

Thanks I am watching now. 2 rookies.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:29am
post #21 of 69

I'm watching too...I love Disney characters!!! Go Ashley, Go!!! K'ly

jlynnw Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #22 of 69

uhgg, that hand looks too cool and then oh no it is too big
and Keagan is impressed

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #23 of 69

It's only 5:20pm here - I'll go set my VCR! (Yes, I said VCR... icon_rolleyes.gif )

Thanks, Ashley! Love your website!!

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #24 of 69

Ok..Ashley your cake is awesome. I have ten minutes to the end. It is good to have some new competitors on the show. You are as cute as a bug. You remind me of the late Anna Nicole Smith.

nannie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 12:55am
post #25 of 69

I'm so nervous................... I'm on pins and needles

nannie Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:00am
post #26 of 69

awww

love richard but I think your's was way better. the dwarfs were all perfect.

congratulations on a wonderful cake

party.gifprincess.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dreamn900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamn900 Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #27 of 69

I really loved your (Ashley) and Richard's cake. But I knew from the moment I saw the sketch that the judges would criticize Snow White being so small. I hope to see you on future competitions.

I'm really glad the the FN introduced some new people. thumbs_up.gif

kates_kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kates_kakes Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #28 of 69

Your cake was amazing!! I loved it!! Everything on it was perfect. Great job. I hope you will do another challenge so we can all watch you again. thumbs_up.gif

jlynnw Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #29 of 69

I thought she had it icon_cry.gif Richards was nice but I really liked Ashley's cake. I always thought that the evil queen overshadowed everything. The cake looked like a poster for the movie! Great job!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:08am
post #30 of 69

Ashley, I think your cake was wonderful. I loved your concept. And your dwarfs were adorable. I think Richard won because of his blown sugar, which is an impressive skill. But if he hadn't been there I think it was yours, HANDS down icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%