Royal Icing And Plumbing?

Decorating By mandysue Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 1:29am by Carolynlovescake

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 15

My Wilton instructor told me that you should never put royal icing down your drain because it will coat the pipes and "cement" just as it does so well on cakes and cookies. Is this common knowledge? Have any of you ever had any plumbing issues due to cake stuff?

14 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 15

I cant imagine that its true. 1stly RI will melt away when it comes into contact with water, I have soaked a dummy covered in rock hard RI and it all melted. 2nd RI wont dry if its even slighly humid, and my drains are constantly wet icon_smile.gif. Afterall its just sugar and eggwhites icon_confused.gif

So maybe if you dump a truckload doen ur drain and not used it for a couple of weeks it might turn into "cement" icon_lol.gif

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 15

I wouldnt think so either, maybe they've had problems with all the students dumping their leftover icing in the sink and it caused a back up? But at home how much are you really dumping? If you're worried just be sure to run plenty of hot water afterwards.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 15

I would think BC would be a much worse problem. RI is water-soluble, whereas BC is not.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 15

Buttercream is definitely worse for plumbing than royal....

Wendl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendl Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #6 of 15

I don't have a problem w/excess buttercream going down the sink drain - but I don't put shortening in my BC. Real butter buttercream dissolves. I can see where shortening-based frosting might glom up the pipes.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 15

I clean my tips which have rock hard RI by running water through it until it dissolves. To me, there is just no logical way that it could set the way your instructor believes. Maybe she just confused herself? If you learn something and it's wrong, your brain never seems to forget it. I think your brain processes that there's something funny about the info then makes a conscious effort to remember this strange new info which is why you repeat it to everyone.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 15

I think you have to consider the volume. There's a reason commercial ktichens are required to have grease traps. Home kitchens are not designed for that kind of volume.

I would think that if you have a habit of putting everything down your drain, you should have a regular pipe maintenance habit in place, too (bleach or heavy duty drain-o once a month or something). You'd be amazed how "oh, it's just a little bit!" can build up.

the mom who does a birthday cake once or twice a year for her kids is not going to have the same issues that a home-baker, who does cakes 2-3 times a WEEK is going to have.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 2:49pm
post #9 of 15

Personally, i try to put nothing down my drain. OF course you have a small amount in your tips, but everything else get thrown in the trash.

And watch those toothpicks, they can get stuck in the drain and cause you problems.

I do agree with regular pipe maintenance its much cheaper then having to have pipes replaced or having to hear your husband bitch at you cause you messed the drain up again.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 15

OK, so I made myself laugh. When I saw the topic "Royal Icing and Plumbing" I was thinking - "personal" plumbing, not sink plumbing. And my first thought was, "Oh wow - royal icing is making some people constipated???" icon_surprised.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Yes, it's Sunday morning and I'm only on cup #2 of coffee so I'm a little slow!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tinabug1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabug1979 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 15

newmansmom2004...
I too was confuse, I was thinking " oh gosh there is a new technique to learn"...
Oh well, Lmao!

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks for your comments. I thought this was strange, and have never seen anyone on here post about it. If none of you are having problems, it must not be a fact. I won't bother being so careful anymore...and that's really why I posted...sheer laziness!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:50pm
post #13 of 15

Nah, I wouldn't worry about it clogging your pipes. I just dump leftover RI in the garbage, but I've certainly sent some down the garbage disposal as I rinsed out the bowl and I haven't had any problems with it.

Now...I will send a warning to everyone NOT to put cinnamon sticks down the garbage disposal! icon_redface.gif I had boiled some cinnamon sticks with several other berries and spices to make the house smell good and when I was finished with it I just threw the whole mess down the disposal. Heck, the cinnamon sticks were waterlogged and softened from the boiling and I figured, what the heck. Several hours and a new garbage disposal later, hubby says, "Um....I think in the future it would be best NOT to put sticks of any kind down the garbage disposal." Fortunately he saw the humor in the whole thing and I got to give him a little razzing later on when he forgot to take the plug out of the bottom of the new disposal that allows the dishwasher to drain back into the sink drain and we ended up with a small flood under the sink when I ran the dishwasher. icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 15

I once taught a class at a shop and we used RI.....after the class they ran hot water thru the coffee maker and poured it down the drain but it was a very old building. I guess they had had some problems.
But as everyone said, for the m0ost part the occasional baker probably uses more grease than RI. Also if you do dishes (dishwasher or by hand the water used would be enough to clear out ordinary plumbing I'm sure.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #15 of 15

I am here to tell you first hand DO NOT PUT BUTTERCREAM DOWN THE KITCHEN SINK!

Be it hi ratio based or crisco based, even butter based... don't.

Don't ask how I know just trust me. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%