A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

saracupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saracupcake Posted 15 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #151 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilidh

Hello,

Was hoping some of you could help me. I have been asked with a week's notice to do a Zippy (from rainbow) cake for a 40th birthday cake, there is only one on CC and not sure if it "enough" Zippy for the person ie it is just one little figure....any ideas much appreciated...I will be doing it in fondant.

Eilidh

Is there a size limit to the cake, the wilton american football/rugby ball pan is the same shape as his head and could be stacked on some round cakes carved for his body, but it would be a lot of cake.

The only other option I can think of it to model him but as you said, that isn't a lot of zippy!

Sara

olsjhs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olsjhs Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 5:30am
post #152 of 25877

I think your all mad for questioning your work, seriously all your cakes are FANTASTIC and if I can get as good as half of you then I will be VERY VERY happy!! Can you all give yourselves a pat on the back please from me thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the covapaste tip, ill have a look in my local cake shop but he is quite expensive so I may order online, ill shop about,.

I will also look in to buying boards/boxes in bulk or from Ebay so thats for that tip.

Bashini thanks for the tips on the number1, both methods made sense, I think ill try the first one, I think I rush to much! How much icing would you estimate fira number 1 then, about 2/3 inch tall....about 1.5kg??

Oh and for the local yorkshire lasses, have any of you tried the shop in Lndley, its on the main street, on your left hand side after the pub I think??

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:06am
post #153 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsjhs

Bashini thanks for the tips on the number1, both methods made sense, I think ill try the first one, I think I rush to much! How much icing would you estimate fira number 1 then, about 2/3 inch tall....about 1.5kg??

I have a rectangular tin. Its 12"x9". That's what I use to make the No1 cakes. And most of my cakes are about 3" tall. But sometimes it changes. To be honest I don't weigh the sugarpaste for cake like these. But I think 1.5kg is enough. But when you roll out the sugarpaste just see whether it will be enough to cover the whole cake. icon_smile.gif

eilidh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eilidh Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:25pm
post #154 of 25877

Thanks the zippy ideas! Am still umming and ahhhing over what to do. It is only for 12 people so probably can't do a biggie, in the end i will prob jut have to do a littleish zippy sitting on a decorated cake unless I just do his face as per a llot of the Elmo ones....think what puts me off doing that is it will be decorated awfully quickly as the face is quite simple!

Will post once i do it! Kids are driving me daft wish these hols were over!

sillyoldpoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyoldpoohbear Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #155 of 25877

eilidh I know I'm a bit late coming in on this but have you thought of just doing Zippy flat on the cake as a cut out or in bas relief, as it's such a small cake.

As for number cakes I hate doing them & won't do them any more. They're just so awkward to cover & really stress me out. I know it's naughty but I usually tell people that there's not as much cake in them as they think & they'd be better of with a regular cake. It hasn't failed me yet lol

I think we all question our abilities at one time or another (me more often than not) I'm not the worlds most confident person, in life, as it is so it definitely transfers over when it comes to cakes. I think we all focus on that little crack or blemish that no one would see in a million years, but to us it sticks out like sore thumb.

Thanks for the little cupcake box link, they're all so sweet & certainly worth knowing about. What do you all do for transporting cupcakes in large quantities, for weddings etc?

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 6:02pm
post #156 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Sabz, did you make them with Royal Icing? Have you tried using flower paste? I found this step-bystep on Sharon's (Sugarshack) blog. Just another idea! icon_smile.gif

Edited to add the link for the step-by-step!

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/making-gumpaste-crown.html

Sorry about that ladies. icon_redface.gif

Lol I was looking for that link all over CC! Thanks, I'm gonna have a look at it now. Yes, I made those tiaras with royal icing. And those last 2 I had my hopes pinned on broke as well! I guess I was working with quite small tiaras which isnt a good idea. So I've scrapped that totally, coz its obviously pretty time consuming! Next time, I'll only work with full sized tiaras. So I've made butterflies (Sweetopia style) out of the left over royal icing. And maybe might do tiara cookies, not sure on that one yet.

Oh hang on, I just quickly scrolled down that tutorial by Sharon. And it looks pretty simple! Hmmm, one of these days when I have time on my hands, I might just do them.

olsjhs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olsjhs Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #157 of 25877

[quote="bashini"]

Quote:

I have a rectangular tin. Its 12"x9". That's what I use to make the No1 cakes. And most of my cakes are about 3" tall. But sometimes it changes. To be honest I don't weigh the sugarpaste for cake like these. But I think 1.5kg is enough. But when you roll out the sugarpaste just see whether it will be enough to cover the whole cake. icon_smile.gif

Ok thanks for that. I rented a number 2 from the shop last time, it went wrong as they dont have bases, so I may try and calve this one out of a rectangular tin I alreayd have....will save a few ££s as well I guess!! Now to locate the covapaste, im determined to try it this time!!

bashini Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #158 of 25877

[quote="olsjhs"]

Quote:

Quote:

Ok thanks for that. I rented a number 2 from the shop last time, it went wrong as they dont have bases, so I may try and calve this one out of a rectangular tin I alreayd have....will save a few ££s as well I guess!! Now to locate the covapaste, im determined to try it this time!!

Once I rented a number 1 and it was just the frame. And it is not big enough as well. So after that I use my rectangular tin and carve! icon_smile.gif

PaulineG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulineG Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #159 of 25877

Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker on here for a few days now, and thought it was time to introduce myself. I am in Ayrshire, Scotland and am very quickly discovering that I am very passionate about sugarcraft! I am quite new to it all, but so desperate to be ready and good enough to start a business.
I am trying to find some classes, but really struggling. I have managed to find one or two, but nothing that covers the basics. Is there anyone from Scotland that can offer any advice?
Also, does anyone know anything about start-up grants? The cost of all the equipment is a bit too much for me to cover myself. Any advice would really be appreciated.

So glad I found this site....... I'm completely addicted already icon_smile.gif

Pauline

saracupcake Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #160 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulineG

Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker on here for a few days now, and thought it was time to introduce myself. I am in Ayrshire, Scotland and am very quickly discovering that I am very passionate about ! I am quite new to it all, but so desperate to be ready and good enough to start a business.
I am trying to find some classes, but really struggling. I have managed to find one or two, but nothing that covers the basics. Is there anyone from Scotland that can offer any advice?
Also, does anyone know anything about start-up grants? The cost of all the equipment is a bit too much for me to cover myself. Any advice would really be appreciated.

So glad I found this site....... I'm completely addicted already icon_smile.gif

Pauline

Hi Pauline
I'm from Stirling but used to live in Glasgow and my mum is from Stevenston. Have you tried Creative Cakes in Glasgow? It is run by 2 sisters and they both run classes, Rhona runs the classes in the shop on the south side of Glasgow, she does novelty cakes and her sister Lesley does flower making from her home in Stewarton which can't be far from you.

http://www.creativecakes.uk.com/

I did a year of nightclasses at The Met in Glasgow and honestly Rhona and Lesley have taught me more than I learnt there.

I started my business in January and signed up with Business Gateway for all the free classes that they hold and at almost every class someone would ask about grants and the business advisers just shook their heads, and said that there aren't any grants available for individuals. It would be worth your while signing up to Business Gateway it is a real treasure trove of information and there is a lot of free help available.

Sara

bashini Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #161 of 25877

Hi Pauline, welcome to CC. I'm sorry I don't know any cake making classes in Scotland, but aine2 aka Lorraine MacKay is fantastic. She also from scotland. She makes models and she does classes. Here is her website,

http://extraicingonthecake.com/#/welcome/4530751764

And if I'm not wrong, there is a BSG branch in Ayrshire. Not sure though. If you go to the BSG message board by using the link that I have posted before, you will be able to get loads help from there.

icon_biggrin.gif

saracupcake Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:23pm
post #162 of 25877
Quote:

Hi Pauline, welcome to CC. I'm sorry I don't know any cake making classes in Scotland, but aine2 aka Lorraine MacKay is fantastic. She also from scotland. She makes models and she does classes. Here is her website,

http://extraicingonthecake.com/#/welcome/4530751764

And if I'm not wrong, there is a BSG branch in Ayrshire. Not sure though. If you go to the BSG message board by using the link that I have posted before, you will be able to get loads help from there.

icon_biggrin.gif

Pauline, I can't believe I didn't mention Lorraine, I've done 3 of her classes and she is amazing, her classes are for all levels of ability and I swear I think she knows every nifty trick in the book for getting perfect finishes on cakes - you should check out all her you tube videos and her flickr pages.

PaulineG Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #163 of 25877

Hi There,

Thanks so much for the info. I will definitely have a look at those websites. I have also set up a meeting with Business Gateway for Monday morning.

Are most people on here self-taught? If so, can anyone recommend any DVD's or books? I have a couple of books so far - International School of Sugarcraft ones.

Thanks so much for the advice and info.

Pauline

bashini Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #164 of 25877

Pauline, I'm a self taught decorator. I bought few cake books when I can get them for quite cheap. But I was able to buy all the three Internatonal school of sugarcraft books.

I also a visual learner. So all the videos that aine2 has on her website helped me a lot and also I bought her online tutorials.

Then I bought Sharon Zambito aka sugarshack's DVD's which have helped me immensly. Here is her blog, from there you can go to her website.

I just wanted tell that even though they are from USA, you still can use the techniques and they really does work well. icon_smile.gif

sasporella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sasporella Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:39pm
post #165 of 25877

Sorry to jump in but i just need to ask 1 quick question. I am in the process of stacking my first 3 tier cake. 2 tiers are on the bottom then pillars with the top tier ontop of them. My question is do i attach the pillars to the cake below with anything and do i need to put anything ontop of them to make them stick to the top tier or do you just place the top tier on top of them and keep your fingers crossed it doesn't topple over. Thanks in advance.

Hello Pauline and welcome, i am self taught and still learning. I love all the books by Debbie Brown, they are easy to follow and fun to make. I usually look out on ebay for any books i haven't got as they can be quite expensive to buy from book stores. I also get a magazine called CAKE which is out once a month (whsmiths stock it), there is also another magazine that is out once a quater also from smiths but i can't remember what it is called. I don't know if you have heard of them but they usually have step by step projects in them.Also like bashini said Youtube is a good place for watching tutorials.

Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #167 of 25877

I've had some great books from the bigger libraries too. They're good for when you want to learn something but may only use it once or twice.

Also TK Max sell books, I've had 2 from there.

Lyndsey xx

saracupcake Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 4:56pm
post #168 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasporella

Sorry to jump in but i just need to ask 1 quick question. I am in the process of stacking my first 3 tier cake. 2 tiers are on the bottom then pillars with the top tier ontop of them. My question is do i attach the pillars to the cake below with anything and do i need to put anything ontop of them to make them stick to the top tier or do you just place the top tier on top of them and keep your fingers crossed it doesn't topple over. Thanks in advance.

Are your pillars hollow or solid? You need to use dowls with both but it works a little differently depending on the type of pillar.

Let me know and I'll talk you through it - I have written directions I could scan and email if needed.

sasporella Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:02pm
post #169 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by saracupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasporella

Are your pillars hollow or solid? You need to use dowls with both but it works a little differently depending on the type of pillar.

Let me know and I'll talk you through it - I have written directions I could scan and email if needed.

Hi saracupcake, i am using hollow pillars, i have dowelled my cake so it goes from the cake board through the cake and up to the top of the pillar, i have then covered my pillars in fondant to make them look like trees but i need to know if i need anything to hold them in place with (royal icing or anything). This is the biggest cake i have had to do (for tommorrow night) and i am a complete wreck at the moment, tired,stressed and feeling ill lol....ah the joys of caking.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #170 of 25877

Zippy Cake:

I hope this isn't too late.

I *knew* I'd seen one somewhere...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clairescakes/2426329320/

saracupcake Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:15pm
post #171 of 25877

If the pillars are hollow then you don't need to attach them, they should only just rest on the cake below them and the weight of the cake above them should sit entirely on the dowls you don't need to do anything other than place the pillars on. As long as the dowls are the same height and evenly placed they should spread the weight of the top tier so that it sits perfectly.

I know all about that stressful sick feeling, every time I say to myself I'll never do it again and then I do!

The cake sounds fab, can't wait to see the pictures

Sara

CakeChaos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChaos Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:20pm
post #172 of 25877

Hi all thumbs_up.gif

I can't believe how much this thread has grown since I was last here. I feel like I want to say hello to everyone but would probably be here into the early hours icon_lol.gif

Thank you to all who replied to my cupcake pricing query. I went with the majority at £2.50 per cupcake and customer thought it was too high (oh well worth a try). Now she has asked for a price for a cake to serve around 90 instead. I have given a base price but think I may have gone too low this time (for me not her). Pricing is soooooooooooo difficult.

I have finally done the 'proper thing' and got myself registered with EH and IR and sorted out my insurance with BSG and become a member......and also......got some business cards out there amongst the people..... whew...... icon_eek.gif. Now for a question icon_surprised.gif the first few enquiries I have had have been for Mickey Mouse, Iggle Piggle and a Me to You Bear all 3D. Had these been for family or friends then it wouldn't be a problem would it? But how do you all who do cakes as a business handle queries like this? I don't want to start turning work away before I have even got going but having read so much about copyright on here it scares the hell outa me. ALSO how do you set about determining how many servings you can get out of 3D cakes such as these, and how do you even start to price?

Also does anyone know how many 2" x 1" servings you can get from a number 2 cake (assuming I use the number 2 tin) which I would have to hire

Okay more than 1 question there - really sorry icon_redface.gif

Many apologies if I have jumped inbetween someones question and response, but I hope someone can help.

Thanks

sasporella Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #173 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by saracupcake

If the pillars are hollow then you don't need to attach them, they should only just rest on the cake below them and the weight of the cake above them should sit entirely on the dowls you don't need to do anything other than place the pillars on. As long as the dowls are the same height and evenly placed they should spread the weight of the top tier so that it sits perfectly.

I know all about that stressful sick feeling, every time I say to myself I'll never do it again and then I do!

The cake sounds fab, can't wait to see the pictures

Sara

Thankyou for your help, you are a star. I will put a pic on either tommorrow or sunday. Thanks once again.

PaulineG Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #174 of 25877

Hi There,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help!

Pauline

PaulineG Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 8:05am
post #175 of 25877

Hi There,

I was just wondering - what do most of you use for cake coverings? Is it mainly fondant/sugarpaste? Does anyone use royal icing? I know that you may use chocolate or ganache or something, but if you are asked to do a cake, and the customer doesn't specify?
I only ask because I have really only ever worked with sugarpaste or ganache. I have never covered a cake in royal icing. Sorry if this is a silly question, it's just all new to me.

Thanks
Pauline

saracupcake Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:39am
post #176 of 25877

Hi Pauline

I would neverr never never make a royal iced cake to sell to a customer. I think the stress of it would send me insane.

I leant how to royal ice a cake at college, we spent 12 weeks doing it and it's hard. I also don't particulary like the look of it, even when it is done very well and I don't like the taste and texture when eating it.

I use sugarpaste most often and occassionally buttercream. I'd like to use buttercream more but I can't get a super smooth finish on it so tend to just stick with what I know.

slush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slush Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 10:47am
post #177 of 25877

hi everyone!
I can't believe how much this thread has grown!
thanks for all the info..I hadn't thought of insurance...suppose I had better look into that!

olsjhs
I was wondering if you (or anyone else) could help me. I noticed you said you use a cmc type powder.
my mum got me a bagful of the stuff and I don't have exact directions.
I've just been adding a pinch or so to regalice to make gum paste.
do you have exact instructions?

thanks so much
and have a gr8 day everyone!! (I can't believe the gorgeous weather we're having - in april!!)

bashini Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 11:04am
post #178 of 25877

Hi slush, you need to add 1/2 a teaspoon of CMC powder to 250g of sugarpaste. I use that to make my models. Here is a video from aine2 on how you make that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQtehRE7VQw&feature=channel_page

Pauline, I also use sugarpaste most of the time, and I do buttercream cake as well.

icon_biggrin.gif

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:09pm
post #179 of 25877

Hi everyone

I've done several tiered cakes (dummy ones) for my portfolio, but now am starting to think about my first wedding cake order and am worrying about baking all the three tiers the same height and deep enough. I like the depth of the dummies. Do I bake each tier twice and sandwich together or bake them deep in the first place and then cut??? I have deep tins but I'm just not sure what the best way is. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I'm also thinking of investing in the SSP system, what do you think?

Thanks Claire

bashini Posted 20 Apr 2009 , 12:31pm
post #180 of 25877

Hi CLaire, haven't done much wedding cakes, but did few tiered cakes. My tins are 3" high and I bake all in one go. And then torte and fill. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%