A Thread For All Uk Bakers!!

Decorating By hailinguk Updated 25 Aug 2017 , 10:29am by Magic Mouthfuls

SorchaScrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SorchaScrumptious Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:01pm
post #2401 of 25877

Thanks catsmum!
Just booked my ticket...and got very cheap train tickets as it's so far in advance! Excited now!
I wanted to go see the Alan Dunn demonstration and was gutted that it's sold out icon_sad.gif But am going to a different wired flowers one, so hopefully will be good, I don't know anything about making flowers but would like to.
I'm not sure whether to bring a load of cash or leave my entire purse at home...I can see myself going mad at a place like that! Lol!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 9:58am
post #2402 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiepan

Catsmum. I can't believe you have only been decorating for 2 yrs. Your cakes are great. thumbs_up.gif

Absolutely!!! Your cakes are fantastic! thumbs_up.gif

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:13pm
post #2403 of 25877

Bashini, I have noticed your cakes developing and becoming more and more polished if that the word. I just love your eeyore. What did youcarve him from? Your orchid cake is very impressive too. Must have taken ages.
Well done.

bashini Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:59pm
post #2404 of 25877

Thank you Rosiepan. icon_smile.gif

I will post the template for the Eeyore on my blog tomorrow. I use a 6" round and square cakes to carve him. icon_smile.gif

I made 11 orchids altogether. A day for the petals and the next day put them together and sprayed them. icon_smile.gif

sanmarco5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sanmarco5 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 8:42am
post #2405 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieleannescupcakes

Hello everybody! I have been reading this loooong thread for a while now and I think its great! Full of very helpful information icon_smile.gif

Does anybody have a problem buying giant cupcake boxes? Or know a great website to buy them?

You can get cheap 'cube boxes' on ebay (brown packing ones, but would do the job) for a little over £1 each x Almond art do white ones with lids, but over £5 each

sanmarco5 Posted 9 Sep 2011 , 8:49am
post #2406 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmarco5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieleannescupcakes

Hello everybody! I have been reading this loooong thread for a while now and I think its great! Full of very helpful information icon_smile.gif

Does anybody have a problem buying giant cupcake boxes? Or know a great website to buy them?

You can get cheap 'cube boxes' on ebay (brown packing ones, but would do the job) for a little over £1 each x Almond art do white ones with lids, but over £5 each

or these are white ones with window
http://www.icing-works.co.uk/ourshop/prod_890978-Giant-Cupcake-Box-with-Window.html

cakelady1802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1802 Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 7:33am
post #2407 of 25877

Can anyone suggest a way of stopping the buttercream on my cupcakes from crusting. My recipe is 300g icing sugar, 100g butter, vanilla and milk. It tastes nice but crusts very quickly.

Thanks

Also does anyone have a whisky biscuit cake recipe, a friend is getting married and tried it at a wedding fair but can't find a recipe. Anything I have looked at contains fruit a nd is just a whiskey cake. This was like a madeira consistency.

Thanks again

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 11:36am
post #2408 of 25877

hi everyone, I'm having a bit of a nightmare with flower paste decorations on some cupcakes. This is the second time it has happened that they go so soft, sucking up obviously moisture from the topping of the cupcake. Anyone know a solution or is it down to the buttercream being too soft? It's strange because plain white flower paste decorations are fine, as soon as I colour any they soften so quickly icon_sad.gif thanks all

bashini Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 2:36pm
post #2409 of 25877

Hi allabout, I had that problem last week. I coloured some white flowerpaste in dark purple and it didn't dry. I use squires flowerpaste and it was very unsual as it normaly dries very quickly. I thought it was because of the weather and I put them in the airing cupboard and all dried really well.

As per your accents are going to go on the cupcakes, I would suggest that you use already coloured flowerpaste. And make sure they are completely dry. If there's a tiny bit of damp on the accents, it will go soft.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 4:05pm
post #2410 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi allabout, I had that problem last week. I coloured some white flowerpaste in dark purple and it didn't dry. I use squires flowerpaste and it was very unsual as it normaly dries very quickly. I thought it was because of the weather and I put them in the airing cupboard and all dried really well.

As per your accents are going to go on the cupcakes, I would suggest that you use already coloured flowerpaste. And make sure they are completely dry. If there's a tiny bit of damp on the accents, it will go soft.

Thanks Bashini, yeah I use squires too the white. I did try colouring some of that which was a little better but I did use some coloured flower paste that I have to say I didn't like. It happened with squires a few weeks ago though I'd made lots of dresses and bow ties and they melted!!! Maybe I will try moving them somewhere other than the kitchen to dry thank you icon_smile.gif

waiting for my agbay to arrive... not sure I can stand the wait!

bashini Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 5:05pm
post #2411 of 25877

You are welcome!! icon_smile.gif

sanmarco5 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:45pm
post #2412 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

Have been to the larger Asda store today and they have some lovely cupcake cases in.

Football themed - red/green/green with silver trophy/White with footballs(100)
Girly - purple foil/pink foil/purple with pink handbags/pink with purple shoes(80)
Pink with roses/pale blue/pink/White with blue spots(100)
Little princess - White with pink&purple butterflies/pink/purple/pink with hearts(100)
Black/silver foil(80)

I love asda cases! The packs with foil cases in are slightly more expensive but it's only pennies

They've also got new colour sugar sprinkles and they have colour paste in mine in black, red, blue, green, yellow and ivory

what sizes are the asda cases?

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:24am
post #2413 of 25877

[quote="sanmarco5
what sizes are the asda cases?[/quote]

Across the base is 45mm

sanmarco5 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:27am
post #2414 of 25877
Quote:

[quote="sanmarco5
what sizes are the asda cases?

Across the base is 45mm[/quote]

Thanks. Are they smaller than average then like the morriso s ones?

Davwattie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:35am
post #2415 of 25877

I know there have been a few discussions on CC about people stealing other peoples photos to add to their fb or website but Ive never found it myself.

Til today! I was having a look at the facebook page of one of the few bakers near me that owns a shop and came across a peppa pig cake and was really shocked to see it was the picture from a Cakes & Sugarcraft magazine that they have taken a photo of and stuck on their page icon_eek.gif

what makes it worse is a couple of people had commented under it asking how much and one even said the peppa pig looks amazing! Of course there was no reply to explain it wasnt their cake but one made by Debbie Brown!!

Mini moan over just cant believe someone would do that

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:52am
post #2416 of 25877
Quote:

I know there have been a few discussions on CC about people stealing other peoples photos to add to their fb or website but Ive never found it myself.

Til today! I was having a look at the facebook page of one of the few bakers near me that owns a shop and came across a peppa pig cake and was really shocked to see it was the picture from a Cakes & magazine that they have taken a photo of and stuck on their page icon_eek.gif

what makes it worse is a couple of people had commented under it asking how much and one even said the peppa pig looks amazing! Of course there was no reply to explain it wasnt their cake but one made by Debbie Brown!!

Mini moan over just cant believe someone would do that

LOL Debbie must be so proud!!! Well I found it recently - it was mine!! I was browsing children's gallery on someone's website and there was mine - just totally lifted the whole image from my website. I did email and ask her to remove it. It's different to love someone's design and recreate I think to actually copying the whole photo as it is!

Davwattie Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:58am
post #2417 of 25877

God thats shocking!

I can understand if they had made the cake out the magazine but to just stick debbie browns picture in is terrible.

I see loads of pictures online of debbie brown cakes but people have actually made them

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 9:00am
post #2418 of 25877
Quote:

God thats shocking!

I can understand if they had made the cake out the magazine but to just stick debbie browns picture in is terrible.

I see loads of pictures online of debbie brown cakes but people have actually made them

Totally agree. I have had people contact me asking how I did a cake or they would like to do it and I'm totally cool as i have asked other people too and given them credit on places like Flickr etc but when people just save the picture when they don't also know they can create that cake! I think i was more miffed as they were charging such a cheap amount i thought you clearly don't know how long that cake takes to create to offer it for that price LOL! icon_smile.gif

Rosiepan Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:07pm
post #2419 of 25877

I agree about passing other peoples pics off as your own being wrong. Customers are going to be so dissapionted if the baker can't live up to that standard.
Although I would think I had 'arrived' if someone stole my pics.After being annoyed I would feel just a little bit chuffed they thought one of my cakes were worthy to passed of as one of theirs. But that isn't going to happen as I take very poor pictures and I am not sure that I am that good.
Point in hand I had been asked to make a cake by someone else that was well out of my experience. I did approach the creator of the design and she gave me lots of advice and today I have finished the cake and I hate it, I really hate it. I did my best but it is nowhere near as good as the original.
The pale pink base colour has turned to a salmon colour and it just does not go with the pink flowers that did come out great.
I did tell my friend I would try but had never done that type of cake before but she was more confident than me at my skills. at the time it seem the better option than the other choice of a 3 tier topsy turvy with slanted sides and lots of bling and other stuff growing out of it. In hindsight I should have gone for that.The worse is it is for a surprise party for her mum and is going to be presented to her at a very posh restaurant. There is simply no way I can do anything to change it as I do not have the time or resources to start again, Now my friend will be very kind and nice to me but I know she will be dissapionted but can you imagine if I had pinched that picture and passed it off as my own and she had paid the going rate for it rather than cost?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:36pm
post #2420 of 25877
Quote:

I agree about passing other peoples pics off as your own being wrong. Customers are going to be so dissapionted if the baker can't live up to that standard.
Although I would think I had 'arrived' if someone stole my pics.After being annoyed I would feel just a little bit chuffed they thought one of my cakes were worthy to passed of as one of theirs. But that isn't going to happen as I take very poor pictures and I am not sure that I am that good.
Point in hand I had been asked to make a cake by someone else that was well out of my experience. I did approach the creator of the design and she gave me lots of advice and today I have finished the cake and I hate it, I really hate it. I did my best but it is nowhere near as good as the original.
The pale pink base colour has turned to a salmon colour and it just does not go with the pink flowers that did come out great.
I did tell my friend I would try but had never done that type of cake before but she was more confident than me at my skills. at the time it seem the better option than the other choice of a 3 tier topsy turvy with slanted sides and lots of bling and other stuff growing out of it. In hindsight I should have gone for that.The worse is it is for a surprise party for her mum and is going to be presented to her at a very posh restaurant. There is simply no way I can do anything to change it as I do not have the time or resources to start again, Now my friend will be very kind and nice to me but I know she will be dissapionted but can you imagine if I had pinched that picture and passed it off as my own and she had paid the going rate for it rather than cost?

Well Rosie I am going to disagree with you because I had another look at your pictures and you have got some smashing work on there! Look at that bridal dress cake! The football is immaculate - some really lovely cakes you have there too so believe you are good enough! I even looked at your mermaid I recall now when I was thinking of doll cake designs. Did you take a picture of the cake? The main thing is you did your best and what you often perceive of your own work as being awful isn't actually anywhere near it. Looking at your work so far I'd say you've probably done a good job and should be proud you undertook such a task icon_biggrin.gif

Rosiepan Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 5:37pm
post #2421 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:

Well Rosie I am going to disagree with you because I had another look at your pictures and you have got some smashing work on there! Look at that bridal dress cake! The football is immaculate - some really lovely cakes you have there too so believe you are good enough! I even looked at your mermaid I recall now when I was thinking of doll cake designs. Did you take a picture of the cake? The main thing is you did your best and what you often perceive of your own work as being awful isn't actually anywhere near it. Looking at your work so far I'd say you've probably done a good job and should be proud you undertook such a task icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for your kind words . I am aware I can make a fairly decent cake but they are not up to the standard I aspire to and every time I make a cake I am happy with I look at others and feel that mine look a bit flat . I also know that a great photo and background can make a cake look more spectacular.
Anyway I have reluctantly posted a pic of the offending cake in my gallery .
Here is a link to what I was trying to achieve so you can see why I was so dissapionted.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/801503
My friend was very kind about it and said she could never even begin to make one any where like it . I have made the ballet, peppa pig and hello kitty cake for her so she knows what I am normally capable off and said she knows it will taste great which is just as important I suppose.
I have learn't from it and where I went wrong but hope never to have to make one again.

emma_123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emma_123 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 7:55am
post #2422 of 25877

Just wanted to come and say hello as I've recently joined and just found this thread (I'm in Cambridgeshire).

Rosie, I think that cake looks good, I wouldn't know where to start with a buttercream covered cake. Your cakes in your gallery look amazing, I love the wedding dress one so don't be hard on yourself. I think its hard to be completely happy with what you've made but I often find people can't see all the faults that I can.

Rosiepan Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:41pm
post #2423 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_123

Just wanted to come and say hello as I've recently joined and just found this thread (I'm in Cambridgeshire).

Rosie, I think that cake looks good, I wouldn't know where to start with a buttercream covered cake. Your cakes in your gallery look amazing, I love the wedding dress one so don't be hard on yourself. I think its hard to be completely happy with what you've made but I often find people can't see all the faults that I can.

Thanks for your kind words emma123
You are right we see thoughts that others don't and I have made worse mistakes on cakes but I think with this one my friend was so excited about this cake for her mum and I have looked at the original many times so I knew what I was aiming to achieve and I prepared reallly carefully and took my time( first mistake I think as it seems to be the ones I rush and wing it with turn out the best.)
I think if it had turned out the colour I wanted I wouldn't have been so dissapointed as In natural light the colours of thr daises just didn't match.
I now what do do in the future but unless I am asked specifically I don't see me doing this type of cake again but that being said I am contemplating doing a 6inch one when I get some more ingredients just to prove to myself I can pull it off.
Rose.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 2:49pm
post #2424 of 25877
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutcakeuk

Quote:

Thank you for your kind words . I am aware I can make a fairly decent cake but they are not up to the standard I aspire to and every time I make a cake I am happy with I look at others and feel that mine look a bit flat . I also know that a great photo and background can make a cake look more spectacular.
Anyway I have reluctantly posted a pic of the offending cake in my gallery .
Here is a link to what I was trying to achieve so you can see why I was so dissapionted.
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/801503
My friend was very kind about it and said she could never even begin to make one any where like it . I have made the ballet, peppa pig and hello kitty cake for her so she knows what I am normally capable off and said she knows it will taste great which is just as important I suppose.
I have learn't from it and where I went wrong but hope never to have to make one again.

I had a look and it turned out really well - and you've got a ton of people added it as a fave icon_smile.gif Cakes i feel are sent to try us! icon_biggrin.gif

Rosiepan Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 3:02pm
post #2425 of 25877

allaboutcake I think you may be looking at the original LOL. Mine is in my pics. icon_redface.gif

Noobz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noobz Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 3:28pm
post #2426 of 25877

Rosiepan if its any consolation, I still think your cake looks great and all your cakes are definitely professional looking! They are gorgeous.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 4:30pm
post #2427 of 25877
Quote:

allaboutcake I think you may be looking at the original LOL. Mine is in my pics. icon_redface.gif

Oh ... well i have now looked at yours and I stand by it - still think its a great job!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 8:10pm
post #2428 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_123

Hi Emma, welcome to the UK Bakers icon_biggrin.gif

elaine0034 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaine0034 Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 8:46pm
post #2429 of 25877

Hey I have just joined this site. I am from Scotland and make cakes as hobby for the time-being.. Have done about 10 now for friends and family. Have tried to upload pics but cant seem to get it to work! Very annoying!!

Just wondering where do you buy cake supplies in the uk? it needs to online for me as my nearest sugarcraft shop is a 120 mile round trip!! and it is not very cheap! I have been using the website sugarshack which is the best i can find but just wondering if anyones know of any better?? Thanks!

Davwattie Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 9:10pm
post #2430 of 25877
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine0034

Hey I have just joined this site. I am from Scotland and make cakes as hobby for the time-being.. Have done about 10 now for friends and family. Have tried to upload pics but cant seem to get it to work! Very annoying!!

Just wondering where do you buy cake supplies in the uk? it needs to online for me as my nearest shop is a 120 mile round trip!! and it is not very cheap! I have been using the website sugarshack which is the best i can find but just wondering if anyones know of any better?? Thanks!

Welcom to the site!

I use sugarshack but almondart and windsorcakecraft are good online sites as well thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%