Which Cake Mix You Like The Best

Decorating By TT07 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm by poohsmomma

TT07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TT07 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:56am
post #1 of 8

hello yes im new here and ive seen alot of ideas,recipes,have gotten alot HELP...but i would like to know which brand of cake mixes do you prefer,betty crocker,duncan hines or pillsbury,for me i like pillsbury 1st then duncan...Thank you

7 replies
m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 8

I like Pillsbury.
icon_cool.gif

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 8

I can't get Pillsbury cake mixes here, but I do prefer Duncan Hines to Betty Crocker.

TT07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TT07 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #4 of 8

THANK YOU LADIES...

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:06am
post #5 of 8

duncan hines first but I usually get betty crocker because it is priced better. Can't stand pillbury. Too crumbly for tiered cakes.

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #6 of 8

I like Pillsbury as well. But since I do mostly the WASC recipe now, the Betty Crocker mix works just as well.

On the topic of mixes...I have never received anything but rave reviews on the taste of my cakes, and truth be told, I also think they are yummy. But apparently one former co-worker said the WASC recipe tasted "like a bunch of chemicals." Everyone said she's nuts, but it still bugs me. All that sour cream, top-quality vanilla, and eggs added to that mix, not to mention the always-from-scratch fillings I make.

Has anyone else had this with certain mixes?

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:26am
post #7 of 8

I used to love doctoring mixes and still like to, but I am slowly stopping. Currently I use about 1/2 wasc variations and about 1/2 scratch recipes. DH doesn't work well with the wasc if you use the full sugar amount, but if you reduce it a bit I find that it works just fine.

So my preference is DH. Betty tastes a bit more chemical-laden to me. If I add pudding, it tastes REALLY chemicaly and rubbery (to me that is). I never noticed this about box mixes until I started baking recipes from scratch. So my guess is the lady is strictly a scratch baker, and therefore can taste the difference.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 8

I always use DH, and I think it works fine with the WASC recipe, but then I've never tried any other kind. I was raised on DH, and that's all I have ever bought.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%