Hate Tastings

Business By Kitagrl Updated 14 May 2009 , 11:46pm by snarkybaker

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #31 of 40

Geez, Ruth, tell me about it!!!!

Gah. I'm closing over Easter and we'll be att our beach house for 5½ days. Can't wait.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #32 of 40

Beach house...must be nice! Think of us poor saps that cant go on vacation! Have a drinky-poo on the beach for us!! icon_sad.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:49pm
post #33 of 40

Cottage, more likely! Dh's family have owned it for years. No luxuries here, folks..... except for the 500 meters to the beach.

layers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
layers Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:14am
post #34 of 40

I've had a streak of bad luck, my last three couples had free cake samples, talked all about the wedding and how good the cake was but I never was to hear from them again. What am I doing wrong?.... I was also re-thinking my process.... I was thinking of charging for cake samples then subtracting the amount from the booked cake?That way I wont be loosing on time spent and ingredients. Does anyone do that? also Does everyone do consulting and hand out samples all on one visit? or do you guys do it in two steps consulting one day and sampling another?
I have another consaultation on Thursday I'm hoping my luck will turn.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:06pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by layers

also Does everyone do consulting and hand out samples all on one visit? or do you guys do it in two steps consulting one day and sampling another?

Heck, yeah I do it all in one shot! Who has time to set up TWO appts when you can get it all done in one hour? icon_confused.gif When I'm dealing with a lot of out of state brides, military brides, working brides, police/fire who work 12 hour shifts, etc. ...... as I bride, I would be pi$$ed if I had to make two trips just to pick out a cake. icon_confused.gif

They eat cake while I'm getting basic info from them. We clear the cake plates and look at pics of cakes the bride has brought in or go thru my photos and books. We decide on the cake flavors and design. On a good day, I can get the whole thing done in 45 minutes.

I also dont' "hand out samples". I think that weeds out the window shoppers. If they want the free samples, they have to commit to spending at least an hour with me, talking about their wedding, and eating the cake/icing/filling samples I'm providing for them. When they sample the cakes with you right there, it gives them the opportunity to ask questions and for you to see their reaction.

It's your sales opportunity. It's when you sell YOU, then sell your business, and THEN you get around to selling the cake/services.

I couldn't imagine giving samples thru a drive-thru window and then meeting them again later. icon_eek.gif You've lost your best sales opportunity.

layers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
layers Posted 14 May 2009 , 5:02am
post #36 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by layers

also Does everyone do consulting and hand out samples all on one visit? or do you guys do it in two steps consulting one day and sampling another?

Heck, yeah I do it all in one shot! Who has time to set up TWO appts when you can get it all done in one hour? icon_confused.gif When I'm dealing with a lot of out of state brides, military brides, working brides, police/fire who work 12 hour shifts, etc. ...... as I bride, I would be pi$$ed if I had to make two trips just to pick out a cake. icon_confused.gif

They eat cake while I'm getting basic info from them. We clear the cake plates and look at pics of cakes the bride has brought in or go thru my photos and books. We decide on the cake flavors and design. On a good day, I can get the whole thing done in 45 minutes.

I also dont' "hand out samples". I think that weeds out the window shoppers. If they want the free samples, they have to commit to spending at least an hour with me, talking about their wedding, and eating the cake/icing/filling samples I'm providing for them. When they sample the cakes with you right there, it gives them the opportunity to ask questions and for you to see their reaction.

It's your sales opportunity. It's when you sell YOU, then sell your business, and THEN you get around to selling the cake/services.

I couldn't imagine giving samples thru a drive-thru window and then meeting them again later. icon_eek.gif You've lost your best sales opportunity.

Thanks for the advice,I'll keep my fingers crossed and in hopes my luck turns around.

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #37 of 40

It really does go in streaks... The thing is the lines that Debi has on her site are GREAT... I also would suggest this, stop being a doormat when you set up your tastings. Brides need to know you mean business and that you aren't like the other vendors they've been dealing with. I know one baker here in town that if you call to ask "how much" the price goes up instantly because she's cutting out the Old Milwaukee shoppers. The other thing is, when the ones that cancel do call, find out why... If it's a situation where the FI decided he didn't want to go or their friend couldn't come along, tell them they're free to come to the tasting without them and that you don't expect them to make a decision on the day of the tasting and they can take some samples back with them.

When brides know you're serious about your business they tend to take you more seriously. It's not like you're a storefront doing 200 cakes a weekend, no, they're paying for YOUR TIME, and YOUR TIME CLOCK starts when they first meet with you. When you start valuing your time others start to value it as well. If someone cancels, the heck with them, they weren't going to be your customer anyways. Sure, sometimes things come up, but you can usually weed out the ones who are problem brides right away because if they can't make and keep appointments then how are they going to make and keep your deadlines. Consider it money IN your pocket if the brides like that don't show up!!! (even if you did bake sample cakes to take to the Florist/Funeral Home/Old Folks Home/etc. instead, that's still a LOT cheaper than dealing with a bounced check, headaches, and real amounts of wasted time)...

Also, I like the "First tasting is free for orders above 75/100/110 servings, rescheduling requires a $25 deposit which will be applied to the cost of the final cake when you book."

The main point being that something your doing isn't working. It's not your area. Every market and business is tough until you find your specific niche and you've got to figure out who your customers ARE, not who you want them to be.. If you want your customers to be millionaires, you've got to think and be a millionaire... OTOH, I'll tell you for certain I've never had any problems with the "KC Hall" brides because they're the ones who watch their pennies and get everything in on time. The brides I've had problems with are the ones who overbook their reception site at the poshest sight in town and discover "whoops"... You've got to market to your niche and in the words of a great lifter who happens to also be a Marine "sometimes you've got to come off as a little cold-hearted and calased".. OTOH, the best part is that once you've got them weeded out, you suddenly turn into their best friend of a vendor super interested in their event...

en-passant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
en-passant Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #38 of 40

I don't think I hate consultations, I'm just tired of them.

CoutureCake is right. If you see yourself as a professional others will too.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 14 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #39 of 40

We do a "night of tasting" and invite about 125 brides/guests...about every 4 months. It's a big affair and a LOT of work, but at least there are no more tastings until the next one. We offer about 18 different cakes and every filling so they can mix them to their hearts desire. You can include a couple of other vendors to help defray the cost of the site...a florist who provide flowers and has a small table, a musician who provides music and has a small table...even a caterer who provided food samples. That way all the vendors have the opportunity to "sell their wares". It's worked out great. We usually book 15-20 weddings after each one.

Other than that...the bride will get a sample of whatever we're baking that week. icon_smile.gif

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #40 of 40

[quote="jeking"]We do a "night of tasting" and invite about 125 brides/guests...about every 4 months. It's a big affair and a LOT of work, but at least there are no more tastings until the next one. We offer about 18 different cakes and every filling so they can mix them to their hearts desire. You can include a couple of other vendors to help defray the cost of the site...a florist who provide flowers and has a small table, a musician who provides music and has a small table...even a caterer who provided food samples. That way all the vendors have the opportunity to "sell their wares". It's worked out great. We usually book 15-20 weddings after each one.

Other than that...the bride will get a sample of whatever we're baking that week. icon_smile.gif[/quote

At that point, you're not really doing a "tasting". You are doing a mini bridal show. For us, people who come to one of our tastings book at a rate of over 70%. If you look at this mega-tasting, you are closing at 10 to 15%. That is a lot of wasted product and energy.

The nice thing about in-house tastings is that you have the opportunity to have "pre-qualified" customers. They know they can afford you. You know you are available. You have had the chance to talk them about the style of cake they want etc...Tastings are a pain, but we take a couple thousand dollars in deposits at each one we host, so it is worth the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%