Freezing Cakes - Fondant Covered

Decorating By ernesta Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm by ernesta

ernesta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernesta Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 7

I need to make a fondant coverd cake for a 1st birthday party, but I will be out of town on the party date.

Can I make and decorate the cake ahead of time and freeze it so that my friend can just pull it out of the freezer and let it thaw a couple days before the party?

6 replies
mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 7

I would think that it would sweat really bad as it thawed out.If your just making it a day or two before the party it would be fine without freezing it or anything.

ernesta Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 7

I leave on the 4th and the party is on the 11th. I don't think I could let it sit a week, even refrigerated, could I?

I thought I saw somewhere that fondant could be frozen provided you wrapped it tightly and didn't remove the plastic until it was completely thawed...?

vicmic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicmic Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 7

I froze a fondant covered cake and it thawed great but with a lot of help. I took it out of the freezer the night before, set it on my counter and placed a fan blowing directly on it to make sure it didn't get gooey. Someone from here, sorry can't remember name, posted what to do and I was very pleased with the results.

ernesta Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 7

I think I had better bake one and freeze it to test this out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Stacybugg75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacybugg75 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 7

I froze the top tier of my wedding cake (fondant covered), took it out a year later and it was perfect. I just left it on the counter for about 6 or 7 hours and it was as pretty and tasted as good as it did the year before. I had it wrapped in a layer of plastic wrap, then foil.

You should do the "trial run" though... I may have just been lucky.

Good luck,
~Stacy

ernesta Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 7

If I covered the cake in whipped cream, would I be able to freeze/thaw it ok then? I was going to do the fondant because they don't like buttercream, but if whipped cream will freeze ok...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that she wants it filled with bavarian cream. Will that make a difference to the freezing?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%