Have You Ever Made A [B]"braided" Rug[/b]?

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 16 Mar 2009 , 10:26pm by practiceandpatience

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a braided rug, and I have an idea or two. I'm looking for any advice from anyone who has tried this...TIA

4 replies
patty7276 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patty7276 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 5

i did a braided rug once, the picture is in my photos as couch cake. i did the rug using royal icing and a #15 tip. got instructions from a colette peters book, it wasn't difficult. you just cut a cake board into the shape and size you want and pipe over it from the outside in. was kind of fun.

patty

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 5

The following picture is a braided rug I made out of fondant. I made it exactly like you would a real braided rug. It is fondant. I made each of the strings using a fondant/clay gun, braided the strings, and then wound it around. I made the braided sections in about 2 feet sections to make the fondant strings and braided strips easier to work with.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_935243.html

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks practiceandpatience I was thinking about this very idea. Also I thought if I sort of made a "streaky" version of the three colors I needed and used the "tri-rope" disc on the sugar gun and then twisted that before I wrap it around...do you think that would work too...or is it better to braid the separate colors?

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 10:26pm
post #5 of 5

I think a streaked effect would be kinda cool. I think it would give a varigated yarn look???
I would love to see a pic when you are finished!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%