Rolling Out Mmf...

Decorating By Hollygb22 Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm by bakingatthebeach

Hollygb22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollygb22 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 10

Anyone have any tips...I did a cookie order of 60 cookies yesterday...I use MMF and need some tips on rolling it out!

I like to put it between parchment paper but it slides everyone and my hands are on the verge of blistering from rolling out 2 batches of it last night!

Thought there might be some tricks of the trade for a rookie here!

Thanks!

9 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 10

Parchment paper must have been a real slippery surface. Put some PS on a clean counter (or the surface you choose), plop down the amount of MMF you'll need and knead it to soften. Now, press it out to form a circle, flip it over and press it a bit more (I'm assuming the MMF is white) then rub the MMF with PS and roll, be sure to check once in a while that it isn't sticking to the counter, if it is sprinkle a tiny bit of PS on the area that is sticking and continue rolling until you have the thickness and size you desire. Don't forget to check for the edges for evenness. It should roll out fairly easily. HTH

Hollygb22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollygb22 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 10

thanks!

i did resort to that with my white fondant...tonight I have green for st patty's day...I'm assuming once the powdered sugar gets on the fondant, it's going to be difficult to get off colored fondant? or any tricks for getting it off the colored fondant? I tried to use a tiny bit of water and it streaked some colored cookies last week.

Thanks!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 10

Colored fondant posses some challenges, that's for sure. I brush the piece well and then use Vodka and a paint brush to clean off the rest.

cre8ivemary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cre8ivemary Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 10

Me personally use cornstarch to roll out,I've tried the ps and it does stick to counter eaisly and is a bit harder to brush off the excess. Cornstarch you can eaisly brush off the excess w/o having to wet it.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 10

some people also grease the work top with crisco - it depends what works best for yourself. maybe a pasta machine would be good in this situation too?
xx

SweetStuff30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetStuff30 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 10

i work with mmf all the time and i use PS for white or color fondant, after the cake is complete i bush it with vodka and the PS is gone and it looks nice as new. the vodka will evaporate and leave no shinyness or anything. Ive also used corn starch, i find that it make the mmf silky smooth and unlike PS it seems to absorb into the mmf on its own. Ive also brushed the corn starch with vodka and it dosnt melt away like the PS does and can leave streaks. SO when rolling out, i use both PS and CS depending on what im doing

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 10

You can also try rubbing a small amount of shortening on the surface of the cake (I prefer to do this by hand to ensure it's even) and then blot any excess with a paper towel. Make sure to just use a very small amount, if you just want to get rid of the PS and give it some time to absorb into the MMF.

I also use shortening on darker colours to deepen them like I did for the chocolate MMF on the top layer of this cake...

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1323390

and use more if I want a slightly shiny appearance (like the red on my Christmas cake in my gallery).

For lighter, pastel colours usually just using a brush is enough.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #9 of 10

I always roll out the MMF between two pieces of clear vinyl. No sticking, no mess.

KimAZ

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 10

I just got my silicone mat the other day and it worked great. I got the smaller one so when I had to roll out a larger size I just used cornstarch on the counter, it worked well and brushed off the MMF easily after I applied it to the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%