Please Help Icing Will Not Set!

Baking By calla74 Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm by Honeydukes

calla74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla74 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have any tips for getting icing to dry?

I have 100 sugar cookies decorated with Alices cookie icing but they aren't setting. I usually see it start to set within an hour but Its been almost three and they are still wet. I need to drop these off at the school at 4 today and have already given up on being abe to stack them. Now I'll be happy if they just won't be wet to the touch by then.

Any tips to get them to dry faster? I've turned of the humidifier for the house and cranked up the heat but I'm hoping there is something else that might help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #2 of 4

Is your weather wacky today? Regardless, I always give my cookies 24 hours to dry before stacking. How long have you waited in the past? Sorry not much help.....

calla74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calla74 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 4

I like to wait a good 24 hours but I had strep throat and had to wait until I had been on antibiotics for 48 hours before I could start baking and decorating so that put me way behind schedule.

I don't know how the pros do it. What do you do when you are really sick and have an order due? I can soldier through colds and such but I would be so afraid of making other people sick. Of course, I am a bit of a germaphobe. That would be one tough part of doing this as a business and I certainly tip my hat to all of the great decorators that manage to do it!

The cookies are at least dry to the (light) touch but not stackable. I'll just have to take them as they are and hope for the best. At least they are just a donation and not a paid order.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 4

The humidifier certainly wouldn't help. I would put a fan on them. I've heard people say they've put them in an oven (OFF) with the light on.

As far as working when you're sick, that's tricky. Get yourself some medical masks, wash your hands frequently and use gloves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%