Does Colored Buttercrea Leak Into A Whipped Cream Iced Cake?

Decorating By calicopurr Updated 17 Mar 2009 , 7:10am by milissasmom

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #1 of 12

My cake order consists of bright colors so I was going to do it in buttercream. The mom called and asked if I could change it to whipped cream, so I agreed. I am hoping to make a separate batch of BC and color it blue, black and neon green. Can I pipe buttercream on top of whipped cream without the bright colorsleaking into the whipped cream?
I know whipped cream or Bettercream does not hold bright colors well...just pastel colors. Thank you if you can help. Cake due in two days.

11 replies
calicopurr Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 12

Please, does someone know?

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 12

I use stabilized whipped cream all the time and never have a problem. I don't see why you would need to use BC at all especially if your client is asking for whipped cream? The tastes and consistency are completely different. You can buy Whip it to add to your recipe or you can make your own.

3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup Wilton Meringue Powder
1 lb. Confectioner's sugar
1 cup butter, softened*
1 cup white Crisco
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Place 1/2 cup water and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in small saucepan. Heat just until sugar dissolves. Do not boil. Let cool to room temperature.

When cool, put in mixing bowl and add meringue powder. Beat with beaters until stiff peaks form.

Add 1 cup butter and 2 cups confectioner's sugar and continue whipping until fluffy.

Add 1 cup Crisco and 2 tsp. vanilla and continue whipping.

Add remainder of confectioner's sugar and finish whipping.

This makes a very creamy frosting that can also be piped onto cake.

*If you want the frosting to be absolutely white, use 2 cups of Crisco and no butter and clear vanilla product.

Good luck!

calicopurr Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:13pm
post #4 of 12

So the recipe you posted is a mock Whipped Cream? She asked for whipped cream because she doesn't like the sweetness of buttercream.

When you say....
"You can buy Whip it to add to your recipe or you can make your own. "
...do you mean that I can add it to buttercream?

I've never seen Whip It. Is it like Dream Whip?

Thank you very much. I am going to try your recipe at another time and check for sweetness. My husband brought home some heavy whipping cream and I'm going to use that for the first time. Thanks again.

milissasmom Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 12

Sorry I didn't respond sooner I have been busy with weekend orders! Whip It is a product in a packet to be added to a basice heavy whipping cream recipe that will stabilize the cream and make it HEAVIER and not so light and airy but does not change the taste of the whipped cream at all. I buy it locally but you can also order it online. I don't know what DreamWhip is or how it is used. I have heard of many who swear by it but I am not in the know. I use Whip It all the time and you can not go wrong with it.

The recipe is a version that tastes just like whipped cream but is stabilized as well. Try the Whipit and you will be very happy. I have only used this recipe once and went back to the whip it because it is faster!!!

calicopurr Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 12

I'm going to try your recipe next. I have cupcake orders to do next. The party is out in the park here in AZ in April. It gets hot here. Do you think this recipe holds up to heat.

ALSO, if you'd like, I posted the cake with the whipped cream icing. I used piping gel I had on hand to stabilize the cream.

THANK U for all your help and replying to me. <smile>

milissasmom Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 12

The cake turned out awesome!!!!!!! Also, I live in the California Desert (Apple Valley) and this held up for me in August in 110 degree heat for my daughter's bday cake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream so I would venture to say it should be fine for you too!! I used the WHIP IT recipe though so that is what I would recommend. I must tell you that it tends to shrink the recipe though so you will have to at least double the amount you usually use but you will get a nice stabilized whipped cream frosting and the taste is not compromised at all! I have found whip it on line in several places. http://www.oetker.ca/en/product/baking-ingredients/pouch/11140 . Here is what the product looks like. Good luck with your cupcakes!!!

calicopurr Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 12

From one desert to another, YOU ROCK...thanks!!! thumbs_up.gif

calicopurr Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 12

sorry for it posting a couple of extra times...
I can't figure out how to delete them in the edit area

calicopurr Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 12

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks for the mock whipped icing!!!!

and just a ? about that sparkeling cup cake face... how did you get that into the signature box?

milissasmom Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 7:10am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

You are so very welcome!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%