Nfsc First For Me

Baking By Redlotusninjagrl Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm by 7yyrt

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 1:07am
post #1 of 27

Tonight I made NFSC. And the thing is, I have NEVER made cookies from a recipe. When I was old enough to be in the kitchen with my mom, she never baked a dessert from scratch that I can remember. Sugar cookies are my absolute favorite. I am amazed at this cookie. It tastes great but it is certainly nothing like what I used to get in the refrigerated cookie shelves. All I can say is wow! So I went on Amazon and ordered a couple of cookie books. I am so glad I came over to the cookie forum!!!!

26 replies
DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 27

Thank you for posting this as I am making these this weekend for the first time and am soooo nervous about the taste.

Now I can't wait!

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 8:46am
post #3 of 27

BUAHAHAHAHAHA! You are now one of us! Resistance is futile! icon_evil.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
http://www.chicksrule.co.uk/images/objects/big/2041.jpg

Just curious. Which books did you buy?

Creative Cookies by Toba Garrett and Cookie Craft by Valerie Peterson are two of my favorites. Oh, and anything by Autumn Carpenter.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 27

I have been hooked on making cookies every since I tried NFSC! It is by far the best recipe I have ever come across!

karaskonfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karaskonfections Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 27

Just curious, what is the NFSC recipe? I plan on making cross sugar cookies for my daughter's communion and I'm looking for a good one. This one seems to be talked about a lot but I'm not sure what it is. icon_smile.gif

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 27

honeydukes
what do you use for flavoring in your nfsc?
karaskonfections - No Fail Sugar cookie. The recipe is in the recipe section.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 27

Honey-you crack me up! icon_biggrin.gif

The great thing about NFSC is that you can flavor it to your preference. I like to put a little cinnamon in mine-kind of like a snickerdoodle flavor.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:29pm
post #8 of 27

Do you all have a very favorite frosting to go with your NFSC? icon_wink.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:39pm
post #9 of 27

I use the Antonia74 icing that's in the recipes section with my NFSC. My friends have dubbed them 'crack cookies', as they are addictive as heck and ruin every diet they come into contact with. Honestly, I have people tell me NOT to make them for parties now, just so they don't ruin their diets! LOL

Once you go NFSC, you never go back. icon_smile.gif They're the best to work with and the best tasting sugar cookie I've ever made or eaten. icon_smile.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 27

DoniB- How do you flavor you "crack cookies" (I love that BTW) I've used it and was not too thrilled.

karaskonfections Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #12 of 27

Thank you Toleshed! I figured out what the NFSC meant after I submitted my post. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for all of those links Honeydukes!! I will definitely check them out. Have you ever frozen your cookies decorated with the Antonia74 royal icing? If so, how did you wrap them?

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #13 of 27

I bough the Flour Pots book and Cookie Crafts. I really like Cookie Crafts as it has instructions and a lot of ideas. Flour Pots seems to only have idea, which is also fine. As someone starting out, I want some detail and there is more detail than on the thread of how to bake and decorate cookies. I think those are two good selections as one is icing and the other is all fondant.

Honeydukes Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 2:34am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by karaskonfections

... Thanks for all of those links Honeydukes!! I will definitely check them out. Have you ever frozen your cookies decorated with the Antonia74 royal icing? If so, how did you wrap them?

I've never tried Antoni74 RI. I use Toba's glace' and RI. Freezing isn't a problem. Use an airtight container, separate the cookies with wax paper. Defrost with the lid on.

karaskonfections Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 27

I just made a small batch of these sugar cookies that I need for Saturday. Can I just keep them in a tupperware container in the pantry for now or should I freeze them? I will probably start decorating them on Wednesday. After they are decorated, how long can they be bagged before they need to be frozen? Sorry for all of the questions but I just want to make sure that these are right. icon_smile.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 27

If you're decorating them on Wednesday then an airtight container at room temp is totally fine. I've got tons of cookies i made a few weeks ago sitting in containers in a room in the basement. I test them often enough and they are still delicious.

mandice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandice Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:44pm
post #17 of 27

i'm slowly breaching the dark side too!! i made cookies for valentines and now i'm trying to find any opportunity i can to make cookies icon_biggrin.gif

HOWEVER.... NFSC? Failed. TWICE. and, not to be too cocky, i'm the kinda person that gets it right the second time around after a major fail. no such luck here. third time, came out really well however i still have issues with it and maybe you guys can help me with troubleshooting?
the first fail was because there was way too much flour. i read somewhere it was better to weigh it than measure cups - second time i weighed it and it ended up being too little. 3rd time i aimed for an amount in between - worked great.

but when i'm rolling it out and using my cookie cutters, i find i have to chill (stick it in the freezer) until it's hard before i can separate it from the outer cookie (if that makes sense... the 'scraps'?) and it's just so time consuming to wait cos i have a tiny old freezer so not only am i only able to fit a try in at a time, i have to wait 10 mins before i can separate it/arrange it nicely so i can bake it.

i've tried penny's cookies and those worked like a charm, no chilling in between required, except i'm not making enough of it to justify wasting $2 of whipping cream for only.. what was it? a tbsp worth for the recipe?

so the question is.. anyone know of a happy place in between those recipes? one that doesn't require constant chilling and doesn't require ingredients that a baker may not always have on hand (availability not being the issue - but waste)?

sorry to hijack this thread but i figured it would attract all the NFSC users.. after all.. that's what brought me here lol

TIA icon_biggrin.gif
(i'm thinking of making cookies tonight)

(edited to add my question.. didn't realize i typed so much and forgot to put my main point in lol)

Honeydukes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:24am
post #18 of 27

karas, I agree with luv2, if they are for Saturday then an airtight container is fine.

mandice, you shouldn't need to chill your dough to separate the cut-outs from the scraps. When measuring your flour, use the stir and scoop method. Lightly stir your flour, using a spoon, scoop the flour into a measuring cup and then sweep with a straight edge.

You can use half and half instead of cream with Penny's recipe.

kwineinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwineinger Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:30pm
post #19 of 27

Anyone have suggestions? I tried the NGSC recipe tonight as well, but after being baked my cookies tasted horrible? Where did I go wrong?

kwineinger Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 11:31pm
post #20 of 27

Sorry NFSC recipe, it has been a long day

Honeydukes Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 8:12am
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwineinger

Anyone have suggestions? I tried the NGSC recipe tonight as well, but after being baked my cookies tasted horrible? Where did I go wrong?

What exactly do you mean by "tasted horrible?" Like they were rancid?

They aren't an overly sweet/ or flavored cookie. I use a good vanilla and it is a subtle foundation for icing -- which can then be flavored in a number of ways that complements the cookies.

Were these not sweet enough for you or do you think they're too plain? A few people add almond in addition to the vanilla. I also like to add citrus extract and zest.

Antonia lists some other things to try.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-624383-.html

kwineinger Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:27pm
post #22 of 27

They were just really bland, I think I will try again and just add more flavor. Thanks for the tips.

shebellas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebellas Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:33pm
post #23 of 27

So the receipe calls for "sugar" does it mean granulated or powdered for the NFSC's? I only ask because I had a bad experience recently with another receipe and now always double check which it is supposed to be.

Thanks!

Honeydukes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by shebellas

So the receipe calls for "sugar" does it mean granulated or powdered for the NFSC's?...

granulated icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:02am
post #25 of 27

The NFSC is a shortbread-type base. If it was sweet on it's own, it would be entirely too sweet with the icing that usually covers it.
I omit all leavening and double the vanilla.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:08am
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7yyrt

The NFSC is a shortbread-type base. If it was sweet on it's own, it would be entirely too sweet with the icing that usually covers it.
I omit all leavening and double the vanilla.

What does omitting the leavening do? Will that prevent the almighty spreading that makes me want to cry and pull my hair out??

I have made this over and over - I use all ingredients as specified, I fridge/freeze the layers of dough between parchment, etc. I'm not playing around here..... they flipping spread!

I need a recipe where I get those nice, thick cookies with sharp edges that really keep their shape......any ideas? thx icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #27 of 27

That's what it does. I tried it because Melissa told me she tried it and it worked for her. I use butter unless otherwise requested, and that's supposed to make it spread. They stay almost exactly the same as when cut out.

I had a 'broken cookie taste test' with and without leavening, and everyone either liked without better, or couldn't tell the difference. (I broke the cookies, so the appearance wouldn't influence the results.)

Sometimes I take them out when just set, when adding nuts I leave them in until the edges turn golden to give them a more toasted taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%