jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 23

Has anyone done this and can give me some ideas on how to achieve this? Thanks

22 replies
mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 23

I actually saw a tutorial done by another member....let me search for it.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 23

There is a recipe in the recipe section. I didnt know how to put up a link so here is the recipe

Upside-Down Cupcake

Serves/Yields: 6 cupcakes
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Cake Mix Cakes, Yellow Cakes, Pineapple Cakes
Difficulty: Easy

1/4 Cup Butter
2/3 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 Cup Chopped Pineapple
1 1/3 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup Shortening
3/4 Cup Milk
1 Egg
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
**you can substitute this ingredients with yellow cake mix
6 Maraschino Cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in a small pan. Add brown sugar to melted butter and stir to dissolve, remove from heat. Using a large muffin tin (6 muffins, 3 1/2" wide openings), distribute butter mixture evenly in each muffin opening. Place 1-2 tablespoons of pineapple in each opening, followed by a cherry pushed down into the center.
Beat remaining ingredients with an electric mix, scraping down the bowl as needed. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Pour batter evenly in each muffin opening.
Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes our clean. Turn upside down onto a cookie sheet immediately. Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.

jenniferus2002 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 23

Thanks i was hoping you could make them right side up if possible.

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 23

Oh! You want the pineapple on top of the cupcakes. Well the only thing I can think of is cooking the cupcakes then make the pineapple, brown sugar on and butter on the stove. Then frost the cupcake with that mixture while they are still warm. Then add a cherry. I hope that helps

jenniferus2002 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 23

That sounds like a good idea. I might try to make it all on top in the oven on half and then do the others after they are cooked and see what happens. I'll let everyone know what happens! Thanks for all the help!

mariela_ms Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 12:29am
post #7 of 23

sorry I couldn't find the post with the pictures,but I think its the same method as the recipe that Karema posted. They sound delicious btw!

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:09am
post #8 of 23

My Mother and her husband are coming next month and requested I try making a Pineapple Upside Down Cake, I never thought you could do them as Cupcakes! I'm going to try it, thanks for taking the time to post the recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

mariela_ms Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 23

I have one in the oven! Thanks Karema once again for posting. I made it into a 9x13 and used a pineapple mix. Can't wait to try it!

jenniferus2002 Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 23

Hey guys thought i would just let you know i made the cupcakes and they turned out just fine. The only thing they are a little messy in the liners so if i were to make them again i would not use liners. But they taste wonderful!! Happy baking everyone. Thanks again for all the help.

EyeCandy Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm
post #11 of 23

Would you recommend/suggest silicone liners for this or just bake it in the pan with no liner at all? Thanks!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 23

I am so glad you posted that. I have been wondering how I could do this as well. Good idea!

jenniferus2002 Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 5:26am
post #13 of 23

I would not use any liners, but give the silicone ones a try. Can't hurt to experiment and see. Good luck and if you do decide to use them tell us how they work!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 20 Mar 2009 , 6:51pm
post #14 of 23

Karema -- that recipe sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!!

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 12 May 2009 , 4:18am
post #15 of 23

I made these using foil liners. To serve, after cooling, I placed them (without removing from liner) in a regular paper liner, to eat.. the cupcake owner simply picks up the cupcake, peels the wrapper down the sides and inverts it into the paper liner, removes foil liner and voila!
I used half of a pineapple slice in the bottom (on top of the butter and brown sugar of course), it twists easliy into a circular shape then the cherry slice (sliced side down). Everyone loved them!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 13 May 2009 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 23

Everyone's suggestions sound yummy!! I personally don't use liners when making Pineapple USD CCs. I like the brown sugar-butter mixture going from the top of the cupcake, where the pineapples and marachino cherries are... to the bottom. I also use crushed pineapple instead of the rings. I find this gives a better flavor.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

EyeCandy Posted 21 May 2009 , 6:13pm
post #17 of 23

I completely forgot to come back in this thread. I wound up not making pineapple upside down cake/cupcakes for my Mom but my in laws are coming tomorrow and my MIL has requested I bake a homemade pineapple upside down cake. I have no clue how to go about that so I posted a request in the recipe thread. Than I stumbled across this and think I might give it a try. I am the Cupcaker in the family so I think this would be a nice twist to a classic cake!!! icon_biggrin.gif

It says to use a jumbo muffin tray, can you just use a regular cupcake tray instead? I don't know if it will be too small or if I can just cut the pineapple as another poster suggested. Or I can try my square silicone liners for it and hope for the best?

Lita829 Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:28pm
post #18 of 23

You sure can use jumbo muffin/cupcake pans. It would be the same as making the regular sized cuppie, just longer baking time!!

Good luck and I'm sure your MIL will love 'em icon_smile.gif

EyeCandy Posted 21 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #19 of 23

Thanks!!!

Lita829 Posted 22 May 2009 , 2:07am
post #20 of 23

You're Welcome...Glad I could help icon_smile.gif

EyeCandy Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #21 of 23

Thank you again! I actually just did a 2 layer cake instead, it was easier since my husband only bought an 8oz can of pineapple slices, which only provided 4 total. The recipe was easy and it tasted delicious so I'll definitely make them again, but this time as Cupcakes! icon_biggrin.gif

Lita829 Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #22 of 23

I'm happy to know that everything worked out icon_smile.gif

EyeCandy Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #23 of 23

Thank you... I uploaded a picture of it in my photos. I can't wait to try the cupcakes this summer. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%