Newbie Baker

Lounge By jodievt Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 10:58am by veejaytx

jodievt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodievt Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 7

Hi guys *waves*

I grew up in an Asian home and never really baked. I have two young girls and recently have taken up making cookies and cupcakes with my oldest girl. But am about venture further and make my 5yo daughter a cake for her birthday. icon_smile.gif

I hope it turns out ok, I have an idea in my head, but will see how it turns out. In the end it'll be cheaper than $90 which the bakery wanted to charge for a personalised cake...

I do like the idea of making cakes for my girls and in turn making fun memories for her. Plus, she now has the important job of Licker. icon_lol.gif

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 7

Don't ever under estimate the cost of making a cake...You may find in the end that the specialty bakery you were talking about wasn't so far out to lunch as you seem to think for their price of $90.00 !! Good luck on your cake!! Hang around here long enough and you will see what I mean! icon_wink.gif

Welcome to CC!!! thumbs_up.gif

Laurel icon_wink.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 7

Welcome to CC! You'll have a wealth of information at your fingertips on here. Just plan in advance, do a practice run, and have lots of fun.

jodievt Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 10:24am
post #4 of 7

Thanks guys for the welcome. I finally did the cake, and it turned out ok. I'm pretty stocked and already thinking of the next cake I can have a whack at. Mother's day is coming up so I might get the man to get me some cake books.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:29am
post #5 of 7

Hi and Welcome to CC, jodievt. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread has popular CC recipes for: crusting American b/c's using either Crisco or hi-ratio shortening, doctored cake mix and fondant.

Also has baking and decorating help, i.e. how to smooth, Melvira method and so much more. There are also illustrated links to the most common cake support systems with complete directions. And so much more!

HTH

jodievt Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 9:42am
post #6 of 7

ooh thank you!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 15 Mar 2009 , 10:58am
post #7 of 7

Welcome to CC, it is a great place to learn and have fun at the same time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%