Silver Luster Dust - More Questions...

Decorating By ARay Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm by Briarview

ARay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ARay Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 8

So I read the post on the silver luster dust but had a few more questions...

I cut out some fondant stars and planned to turn them silver, but I do not have an airbrushing machine nor can I go buy one between now and Saturday icon_wink.gif

I tried this morning to mix the luster dust with almond extract but when I applied it to the stars it was hardly noticeable and it would probably take 5-6 coats to be noticeable!

Any ideas?

7 replies
iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 8

Get the silver highlighter dust. Just use enough liquid (i use vodka) to get the brush wet, then dip it in the dust. Should give you a shiny silver finish. I've used it several times.

ARay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ARay Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 8

What is the silver highlighter dust? I just picked up the regular luster dust they sell at JoAnn's...

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 8

Are you making the lustre dust too runny? It needs to be thicker and another thing I do is add a few drops of flower glaze then the silver does not drop off. Hope this helps.

aimers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aimers Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 8

I use a small amt of veg or canola oil. It doesn't dry like alcohol but it does give a much more solid silver look. If you look in my photos the Optimus Prime Big Rig is cromed out with silver and oil

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 8

if you are using wilton's silver dust, it will not work. It turns greyish not silver... no matter what you do icon_sad.gif

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 8

The silver on that OP looks fabulous! Thanks for the tip, aimers.

Briarview Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briarview Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 8

Yes I have had the problem of the silver or gold turning a horrible colour when I added oil.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%