Discounts

Business By Kitagrl Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm by indydebi

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 7

I have a regular customer who is slightly upset with me because I won't give her a "regular customer" discount. haha. (Actually its the second one this month who has wanted one!) Do you guys do this? Alot of my business is regular customers, I can't just knock money off for everyone.

I do have a very small thing I do, mostly for event planners, I give $5 coupons per referral. Not many people know about it.

The lady who was asking me, I did tell her about that and say if she has people ordering from me using her name as a referral, she does get $5 off for each time. She seemed a bit miffed and said that she didn't know that and that her friends have been ordering through her. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it, its not like its weekly cakes, its like three cakes over a two year period.

I think my regular customers seem to feel a little hurt that they've been so "loyal" to me, yet I still keep stubbornly quoting regular prices.

Is there some kind of "baker etiquitte" I'm missing here????

6 replies
Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 7

This is just my opinion, but once you start with any kind of discount it's very hard to not discount frequently, for far too many. I just don't discount, my prices are fairly low as it is but they're slowly climbing up there as are prices of the basic ingredients we use!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 7

3 cakes in 2 years? Oh brother!! She'll be asking for a volume discount with her next cake!

Does walmart or sam's club give you a discount because you buy your eggs there every single weekend? Does your gas station give you a discount because you fill your tank every Friday?

When she is ordering in enough VOLUME that enables you to buy your ingredients in bulk packaging that actually saves you money, then and ONLY then will you talk discount with her. But until she orders those 10 cakes a week, every single week, there's nothing to talk about.

marriedtoagreek74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marriedtoagreek74 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

3 cakes in 2 years? Oh brother!! She'll be asking for a volume discount with her next cake!

Does walmart or sam's club give you a discount because you buy your eggs there every single weekend? Does your gas station give you a discount because you fill your tank every Friday?

When she is ordering in enough VOLUME that enables you to buy your ingredients in bulk packaging that actually saves you money, then and ONLY then will you talk discount with her. But until she orders those 10 cakes a week, every single week, there's nothing to talk about.

Debi, seriously you need to write a book of "Debiisms". You always make my laugh and put it into a good perspective. I have been stuck in bed this week and you have ben cracking me up with some other posts! icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #5 of 7

I immediately thought the same thing that indydebi said...I'm going to try that with my utility bills!

"Hello, electric company? I'm a regular customer, and I'm wondering why you don't give me a discount every month for it."

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7

I thought the same....maybe its a home baker thing...some people somehow must just think they are just vital to the success of my "small" business or something!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedtoagreek74

Debi, seriously you need to write a book of "Debiisms". You always make my laugh and put it into a good perspective. I have been stuck in bed this week and you have ben cracking me up with some other posts! icon_lol.gif

Ironically .... I was at the SBA office this past Tuesday, and in between fits of laughter, the guy told me, 'You need to put all of these in a book'.

I told him, "I've been told that ... but all these little snippets are floating out there in willy-nilly land and I just can't get organized enough to organized them!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%