Ever Wonder If The Person Shopping Next To You...

Decorating By cocobean Updated 15 Mar 2009 , 8:45pm by paulstonia

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:11am
post #1 of 54

I've often wondered if the person shopping next to me in the cake isle at Michaels or cake supply store etc. is a cc member. I'm always tempted to say do you know Cake Central? What's your online name? icon_razz.gif

53 replies
sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 54

That is SO funny! you know, I don't think I've ever seen another person in that isle at the same time as me. Odd...

I could totally see that happening, though!

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 54

the only people i know locally near me that would even know of cc is because of me.. so if they were here, i'd know lol

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

I've often wondered if the person shopping next to me in the cake isle at Michaels or cake supply store etc. is a cc member. I'm always tempted to say do you know Cake Central? What's your online name? icon_razz.gif

LOL Yes!!! I am THE worst!!! I feel like huggung everyone in the cake aisle! I have yet to meet a CC'er at my local craft store! But I think I just need to get out more icon_smile.gif

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:17am
post #5 of 54

cocobean I was at Wally World the other day and another lady was picking up multiple cakes and I was tempted to ask her if she knew of CC. I think anyone that enjoys decorating needs to know about this site. It's wonderful!

candynumber1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candynumber1 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #6 of 54

Makes you wonder. I just might ask next time i'm there, somehow I always manage to strike up a conversation about something! I think it would be kinda cool.

beck30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beck30 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:41am
post #7 of 54

It does kind of make you wonder, but I dont think ve ever seen anyone in the cake isle the same time as me either.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:39am
post #8 of 54

Many times I am in the cake isle at Wally World and there is always someone there looking so confused. I just want to tap them on the shoulder and tell them to go to this site, then come shopping. icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:56am
post #9 of 54

I was in the long cutting line in Joanne's and people were talking about what projects they were working on. One woman said she was making napkins for a baby shower and then started talking about the cake, little gumpaste shoes, etc. I asked her if she had heard of CC and indeed she had. This is where she learned how to do it!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:36pm
post #10 of 54

I was in Michael's one time and ran into one of my brides, who I also happened to work with when I had a full time job. She started asking me a lot of stuff about her cake. Another lady in the aisle was looking at equipment. I was trying to convince my bride that this one thing would work fine. Finally I turned to this other lady and said, "This lady makes cakes, let's ask her what she thinks." Other lady agreed that was I was suggesting would be fine. Bride asked me, "Do you two know each other?" I said no. Bride said, "How did you know that she makes cakes?" I said, "I could tell by the way she was looking!" icon_biggrin.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #11 of 54

No, I haven't thought of that before (although, now of course I will!!)

I have , however, been tempted to offer my services and give my business card out when I see harrassed looking moms with screaming kids, picking out a Wilton Barbie pan. Once I'm licensed, I will do that!

CHoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHoxie Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #12 of 54

It seems that everytime I am in the cake isle at Michaels, they are taking stuff out of boxes. I usually just watch to see what new things are being put on the shelf.

The young girls look at me kinda funny. Here is this big guy with a grey beard watching me take stuff out of boxes. icon_cool.gif

Then when I buy something, they ask me what I am making. I think they are starting to get to know me. Seems the same young girls there all the time. icon_biggrin.gif

imakecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imakecakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:11pm
post #13 of 54

I think this all the time!! I have had people ask me questions about stuff--I must have that look Debi talked about, icon_biggrin.gif

I once saw a couple women looking at the cake boxes and were getting nervous because none of them would fit the cake they needed it for. I told them my hint for using the confectionar sugar box lids from the cases at Sam's--they fit a 13X19 board perfectly and then I tape saran wrap over it----Trouble is, now when I go to Sam's to get my boxes, sometimes there aren't any there and I kick myself for telling those two ladies about it! LOL!!

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 54

aww CHoxie that's cute!

in a purely professional cake decorating sort of way of course icon_wink.gif

I've been VERY tempted to ask people if they're on here.

I started my baking/pastry art degree program in september (graduating april 25th YAY) and most of the people in my class didn't know about it... I love bringing people over to the "dark side" =D LOL

I could sit on here all day long if I didn't have work. icon_wink.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:16pm
post #15 of 54

I DO strike up conversations in the cake aisle and at the checkout counter.... and pass on the cc website whenever I get a chance. It amazes me that so many people in the cake aisle don't know about this haven! It always tickles me to have that "look" pass across their face when they learn there is a place for cake addicts. icon_lol.gif

Edited to add that at the Cincinnati Sugar Show, there were those of us who have learned over time that we all are cc users and literally "met up" so we could put names to our screen tags, It was like a reunion!

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:19pm
post #16 of 54

LOL..and I thought I was the ONLY one!!!!! The worst is when last month we were visiting rural WV...We are driving on top of this mountain and I screamed STOP!!!!! There was a sign saying "Dianes Cakes" But ofcourse I had to stop and get out and for all you know we know each other through CC...alas the door was closed (it was 10am) and there was no one around. But it was hillarious nonetheless.

At Michaels I find once there are 2 people in the cake aisle we do tend to talk shop and exchange ideas-I remember the first time I went there and this very nice lady helped me out..I think the fraternity is such!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:20pm
post #17 of 54

my grocery store confession is seeing anyone ordering a cake at the counter of a big box store or grocery chain is that I just want to (but I never do) pull them to the side and say you really dont want that...here let me make your cake. Its not that I am desperate for the clientèle its more the whole discussion on how we as a country are so into the overly processed preserved foods and dont know what "real" desserts are supposed to taste like. I just want to fly to Paris right now. *sigh*

sully149 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sully149 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #18 of 54

HAHAHA Choxie I totally know where you are coming from there I have only been doing this for a few months and the wife and I have spent many dates in the craft stores she hits the scrap book stuff I hit the cake aisle. I love it in fact yesterday was my Bday and I got some extra cash and some coupons I might got there today

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #19 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightway777

my grocery store confession is seeing anyone ordering a cake at the counter of a big box store or grocery chain is that I just want to (but I never do) pull them to the side and say you really dont want that...here let me make your cake. Its not that I am desperate for the clientèle its more the whole discussion on how we as a country are so into the overly processed preserved foods and dont know what "real" desserts are supposed to taste like. I just want to fly to Paris right now. *sigh*

I am SO TOTALLY with you on this!!!!!! I have caught myself many times wanting to say that!!!! (I thought I was just obsessed!!!!)
Can I go to Paris with you?? haha!!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:35pm
post #20 of 54

Last August I was visiting family in MN and was stocking up at the cake store. I was in Sweet Celebrations and actually recognized Moydear77 from the CC Spotlight. She was very nice! I bet she thought I was some kind of weird cake stalker or something.

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #21 of 54

I am new to facebook....just wondering, is CC on there to be a fan of? Anyone know?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:41pm
post #22 of 54

I have met people from CC In different places. It's a lot of fun, they know my face from Youtube, sometimes they stare, but most of the time the come and say hi. It's awesome!
Edna icon_smile.gif

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #23 of 54

gosh i never thought of that but i will think of that from now on. i love it when there are others in the michael's cake isle or in my local cake supply shop. i am always wondering what they will be making. when i was taking the wilton courses last year i told everybody about cc! i wonder if any of them are on here now...

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:55pm
post #24 of 54

I'm guilty too. Just last week I saw a sort of confused looking lady in the cake aisle at Hobby Lobby, struck up a conversation and eventually told her about CC.....she was making her niece's wedding cake. I have to admit that my initial thought was...."Potential customer?" And I agree with whomever said they want to go up to people ordering cakes at the grocery store counter and discourage them from such silliness icon_smile.gif. I also get a little twinge whenever I see someone walking out of a grocery store/Wal-Mart with a big birthday cake box in hand.....that could have been mine.........

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:56pm
post #25 of 54

And I thought I was the only "crazy" person when it came to CC!!!! There are others out there, YES, YES YES!!! I go to Michaels, Hobby Lobby and even Walmart, if I see someone shopping for cakes items, I kind just stay close, and finally say, excuse me, but are you making a cake, and need help? We get into a conversation, at which point during that I say: Oh there's this wonderful site, let me give you the addy to it!!! and we hit it off talking. needless to say when I say, Honey Im running to Michaels, etc..be back real soon...I get see you in 4hrs. lol

But the other day, when I logged on here, I had this email that said: manvel neighbor, I read it, was a CCer who has moved here from Kentucky recently, and only 15mins from me!!! Well Im making a cake, turtle and we got to talking, I dont have a scoccer ball pan. We met at Michaels for the first time, she loan me the pan, and we hit it off like we had known each other for years!!! She is a very nice woman. so we are planning get togethers to do cakes and have a girls cake fiest so to speak and learn techinques from one another. Its great!!! She's done cakes for 15yrs and Im just starting out 1 1/2yrs now. But I know some stuff she didnt!!!! wow! Im in heaven. Sorry I wanted to share, Im so excited!!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:57pm
post #26 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

I DO Edited to add that at the Cincinnati Sugar Show, there were those of us who have learned over time that we all are cc users and literally "met up" so we could put names to our screen tags, It was like a reunion!

When I went to the Bakers Convention in Las Vegas, I made a "sandwich sign" to wear that said "CC'er INDYDEBI". My daughter said, "Mom, you are NOT really going to wear that all over Las Vegas are you?"

I met a couple of ya via this sign, and had a couple of ladies ask me what it was about, so I passed on the website info! thumbs_up.gif

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #27 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I have met people from CC In different places. It's a lot of fun, they know my face from Youtube, sometimes they stare, but most of the time the come and say hi. It's awesome!
Edna icon_smile.gif

Haha you're a "celebrity" on CC too. A few weeks ago you posted an answer on my very first forum post regarding tools of the trade & I about DIED! All I could think was OMG, I've seen her on YouTube & she's answering MY question! I didn't say anything b/c I thought it might embarrass you & make me look like (as miss_sweetstory would say) a cake stalker icon_cool.gif !! Now that I've got a few (very few) more forum posts & feel more comfortable I thought I'd let you know!! icon_biggrin.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:24pm
post #28 of 54

Isabow - LOVE your avatar!!

isabow2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabow2 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #29 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Isabow - LOVE your avatar!!

Thanks! I loves me some Hugh Laurie/House!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #30 of 54

I too find myself starting up conversations when I'm at michaels or joannes or even our local cake supply store.
I love exchanging ideas and stories.
I also mention CC to everyone I meet.
Cake decorators and bakers are everwhere.
Last year I was at the beach reading some of my cake books (strange visual I know). I can't tell you how many people came up to me to talk about cakes. Haha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%