Canadian Fondant?

Decorating By Clipper Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 2:54am by Korwegian

Clipper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clipper Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 5

I've just moved from the UK to Canada (Saskatoon, to be specific) and I want to carry on with my little cake business. I am used to working with fondant and sugarpaste - does anyone know how easy these are to get hold of or should I start to practice my buttercream techniques now?! Also, does anyone know of a decorating class in Saskatoon? Long shot, I know...

4 replies
kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 5

I'm in Ontario and here fondant is readily found. I'm not sure where you'd get it in your neck of the woods but at least this'll give you a "bump".

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 5

I'm in Taber, Alberta about 5 hours west of you. I haven't found alot of stores that specifically are for cake decorating. I order stuff online from Goldas Kitchen. They are priced fairly reasonably and ship quickly. They have their own fondant, Satin Ice, and Wilton. There is a Michael's store in Saskatoon and they have alot of Wilton products including fondant, but it can be expensive. I've signed up for the news letter from them and get coupons for 40% off one item, then it's not too bad.
I will look up some more sites for you and message my results. I've spent many hours searching the internet for Canadian based cake stuff and there isn't a whole lot!!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #4 of 5

If you want to restart your business then I would hookup with the wholesalers like Dawn Foods who put out a terrfic fondant called Deccorrice...It smells like cotton candy.You can also get fondant from Bakemark but you have to have a business license to buy there.You can also try Bridgebrand or maybe even Sysco.All of these are food suppliers based across Canada and I'm sure in Saskatoon and here in Calgary!You could order online but fondant is so heavy the shipping would cost too much.

Korwegian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Korwegian Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:54am
post #5 of 5

Hi! Welcome to Saskatoon. I also live in Saskatoon. Did you have an established cake business in the UK? I'm wanting to start up my own cake business as well but am not knowledgeable in how to start it. I've made my own fondant, that has worked really well. Otherwise all i know is the fondant from Michaels, and it's good to get on the 40% off coupon. I know there is a professional cooking program at SIAST and otherwise there are a few cake decorating classes at Michaels. I've taken those and they were helpful. Let me know if you'd like to keep in contact more, i'd love to talk with another Saskatonian about cake decorating!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%