Anyone Ever Made Their Own 18 Inch Round Cake Stand?

Decorating By hardeway Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm by denetteb

hardeway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hardeway Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 15

I am doing a wedding cake, and I do not want to pay 125.00 for an 18 inch round cake stand. If anyone have any ideas or can direct me to a site where they are cheaper, please let me know. Ebay is also out of the question, been there already.

14 replies
gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 15

Well, I have seen some little iron chairs, but I don't know for sure. I know that's hard and I would hate to spend what they want for some of those stands. Espicially some of the Wilton ones I've seen in Michael's, they are so junky looking for some and sooooo expensive. Good luck, I guess I wasn't much help!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 15

I cut a circle with a beveled edge with a scroll saw out of 1/2" masonite. Sanded it down and painted it with hammered silver spray paint and added 4 cheap drawer pulls equal distance apart. The legs make it stand about 1 inch off the table. Works fine.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 15

A couple of years ago I needed one for a wedding cake and I rented one from a party store. The bride reimbursed me for the rental. I think it was about $35 from Friday to Monday.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 15

dynee - I love that idea. is it pretty sturdy? can it hold up to quite a bit of weight (some cakes can get pretty heavy haha)? sounds like it would be very inexpensive

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 15

I can't remember if it is Hobby Lobby or Michael's, so sorry about that. But I saw an idea that would work for a cake stand. They have glass circles already cut and they had short glass candle holders spaced out underneath. I'm sure you could use E6000 to glue them on there. This is what I am going to use if I do one that big.

Sorry I can't remember which store.

Vicki

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:07pm
post #7 of 15

You can use the glass blocks that you can get at Home Depot too. You can put light, flower, inside too. I think the blocks are used for bathrooms and basement windows, and come in different sizes.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 15

tdybear1978, I would guess less than $10.00. It helps to be handy and have power tools available. I would be lost with out my saw and my battery drill/screwdriver . The drawer pulls were the most expense. You have to really check the prices. I bought the ones I used at W-Mart and they had some that were very similar for more than twice the price. You can't see it, but the cake in my Avatar is sitting on a square one like it.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 15

I so want to go to home depot right now and get some boards haha I am going to do this for sure thanks for the idea

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 15

There is a cake in my pics (orchids & dragonflies) that I used a cake dummy wrapped in silver cake foil and covered it with a piece of tule. I think it looks pretty nice, like it's floating.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:20pm
post #11 of 15

Hobby Lobby did the glass top with candlestick holders here. They didn't use any glue icon_eek.gif I like the ideas.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:31am
post #12 of 15

The bakery I work at has circles cut out of 1/2" plywood, small (1/2"-3/4") "legs" glued on, and we cover the boards with colored floral foil. We also have mirror circles cut by a local glass shop (legs glued on again). Shouldn't cost much (I think we bribe our shop with baked goods though, lol icon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gif). The mirrors are very simple, pretty, and elegant. VERY popular with our customers! Just remember to have some windex handy when setting up (spray onto a soft cloth, then wipe, so it doesn't come in contact with the cake). thumbs_up.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:45am
post #13 of 15

dollar tree has the glass candle holders just like hobby lobby but 1/4 price

hardeway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hardeway Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #14 of 15

Such great replies!!!!! thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #15 of 15

One more idea. For my friends 8,12,14 cake I shopped at Goodwill, thrift stores and got a large, glass microwave turntable plate. It worked perfect. They come in a lot of different sizes if you keep your eyes open. If she had decided on a larger bottom cake I was thinking of using a glass piece with smooth, rounded edges from a cheap small table where you use a round table cloth to cover up the legs and put the glass piece on top of the cloth. I found table top glass in 16 and 18 inch sizes. The micro plate and table tops were under $5 at Goodwill and you could use either with the votive holders or something else under them to raise them up if you wanted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%