Ahhh - Dreaded Sheet Cakes....what Do You Do

Decorating By BCo Updated 14 Mar 2009 , 2:12am by CakeDiva73

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I just love when people are all stuck up about making sheet cakes. Its not really a big deal. I charge the same amount per serving as I would a Round Cake. If you dont do sheet cakes you shouldnt do Round cakes because its the same thing just square. So do you not do square cakes as well. Thats just my opinion. It's a difference when you have a preference with what you like to work with but to act like they are beneath your talent is ridiculas. It shouldnt matter what shape a cake is its still cake. Thats just my .05 not that it's worth that much. When I have to pay the bills I will take it. I have a sheet cake to make and I'm making $65 off of this do you think I really care if it's round, square, rectangle, or a two tier? I could care less. Money is still money and that's rectangle as well!!

Seriously??? I don't think anyone is acting stuckup about making them or saying it's beneath their talent, and I know for a fact that I wasn't at all, I have done sheet cakes for customers in the past. I think it's just a personal prefference and besides, it wasn't what I was asking anyway. To each his own! I think people look to me to make them a cake rather then going to the grocery store to pick one up b/c 1) they taste so much better and 2) they can't get cakes like mine from a regular store. They are looking for something different. So to me yes, a stacked round 2 tier cake is different then a sheet cake and this is one of the reasons I prefer not to do sheet cakes. I have very few people ask me to do sheet cakes. So go on with your bad self and make your $65 sheet cake, I just prefer to make mine another shape because that's what I like to work with!

I do agree that there are a lot of people out there that make very nice sheet cakes, good for them, I'm sure it makes them lots of money and everyone on here has a talent all their own. No one is knocking anyone's preferences! I support sheetcake makers but it's no different then not liking fountains with colored water under my cakes!! Don't do those either! Again, just a preference!

I just was wanting to know from those the DO make them if it's the consensus that a sheet cake is one single layer or are those out there that do make them 2 layers with filling in between. And my question about prices was from reading many posts about some who do charge less for a sheet cake and why that would be.

Thank you to those for your explanations on the questions I asked. As luck would have it she decided to just go with her original plan!!

I <3 round cakes icon_lol.gif

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:43pm
post #32 of 40

I do apologize Bturpin if you took offense to what I was saying because I was not talking to you. You did not act stuck up and you were even willing to do it so please don't think that it was all about it because it wasnt. I was referring to those that say they never do them or want to. I think its a little odd and I totally understand having a preference. I don't discriminate on shapes of cakes thats all. I can understand not wanting to do fountains or fondant because those are sometimes difficult and I dont know how to set up a fountain and really dont have a whole lot of interest in it. If someone asked me I would just tell them I dont know how to do it and if they insisted I would think about it just like you thought about the sheet cake. I'm just saying cake batter is cake batter no matter what shape it is. It still is the same amount of batter and filling most times and buttercream so what is honestly the hang up. I guess I dont get it. But I was not referring to you and I think it's great that you even asked about it to even considering it for you customerer so please dont take offense. I do speak my mine but seriously I'm not one to insult people because that's just not who I am. GL

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #33 of 40

Thanks Karema - just one of those things we have a choice about. I know that it takes the same amount of batter so I was confused in my own head why sometimes sheetcakes are priced less then a layered round.

It all worked out in the end this time! YEA!

Happy Baking everyone, no matter what shape you like! icon_biggrin.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #34 of 40

I am currently selling my sheet cakes as single layers, no filling. I couldn't even imagine having to deliver even a half sheet, double layer, with filling! Yikes, that must be a heavy cake...and a full sheet? No way! Single layer. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 5:41pm
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs1

I know in my area everyone wants a sheet cake, so that's what I end up doing. Since I have done so many sheet cakes it's a snap for me. I have more trouble with the round cake's he he, go figure!

Same here! Everyone wants to just walk into the bakery and grab a sheet cake. I am having more fun with sheet cakes too. I'm finding I can ice them easier than rounds.

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #36 of 40

I try to deter my customers from ordering them as well. I guess its just the decorator in me. Sheet Cakes are just so...boring IMO.

Christian0423 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christian0423 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 12:45am
post #37 of 40

I usually charge $30-$35 for a single layer 9x13. Unless it requires a lot of work as far as decorating is concerned. This usally serves about 20 people.

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 1:01am
post #38 of 40

To me it seems that people expect to pay "chain store" prices for any type of sheet cake. In my area, they are not willing to pay -except for those who have had my cakes before! I would much rather stick to just wedding cakes or special event cakes -to me -there is not enough money in sheet cakes in my area... they prefer the Wal-Mart nasty tasting cakes with the small price tag -like saving a few $$ justifies serving crap to your guests!?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:07am
post #39 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karema

I just love when people are all stuck up about making sheet cakes.

rotflmao! Haven't heard the expression 'stuck-up' in so long. High school, actually.

So are people who do fondant-only stuck up? Are people who refuse to do fondant at all lazy? I can't seem to see the distinction. But just reading your post about what you will and will not do and that being "different" from us deciding what shapes we will offer, it's just not making sense how it's okay to refuse fountains but not okay to refuse sheetcakes?

I don't like sheet cakes so I don't do them. I do not frown upon or look down on anyone who does. Nor do I think differently of those who refuse fondant, or plastic toppers, or cake mixes or whatever. To each his own. And most of us are more or less self employed; we get to decide when, where and what. And why shouldn't we?

In certain cases, business is lost due to lack of sheetcake offerings....but in my case, I think it has set me apart from grocery stores. And I agree with Melan about people expecting me to make them for the same price as supermarkets.

If I offer something completely different, I don't have to worry about people doing a direct price comparison between me and Costco. And they know when they get a cake from me, no way will it be confused with a Supermarket cake. I like that.

***At graduation time, I occasionaly custom decorate Costco cakes for $20 for those who want colors & logo to match the schools.

(edited because I mispelled icon_redface.gif )

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 14 Mar 2009 , 2:12am
post #40 of 40

Forgot to say the reason I offer to custom decorate those cakes at graduation time is because it takes me a half hour or so to decorate them, I make $20 and they get more than the run of the mill Costco cake for a lot less then I can offer (if I was actually baking it I mean).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%