Bill In Texas For Legal Home Bakeries! Calling All Texans!

Decorating By kelleym Updated 7 Feb 2011 , 11:14pm by kelleym

higginspeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:46pm
post #1951 of 2039

I just emailed Rep Gattis' office to say thanks. Let's not forget to do that and the reps that we knew were going to stand behind us, them as well as their offices for being patient with our calls. Angry? yes. But I need to find a proactive solution, not a reactive one. It's time to decide who I want to be and what I plan to leave in my path when I act.

You guys, I'm glad to have met those of you I did at the Hearing. Looking forward to moving forward with you all.

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 15 May 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1952 of 2039

Thank you for all of your hard work Kelley. icon_sad.gif Too bad our bill had to fight against a bunch of idiots. tapedshut.gif You did an awesome job.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:30pm
post #1953 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Is there a "next step" that we need to do (or can do) as a group? I feel like the Public Health Committee is what killed us, but I don't know that sending "I'm so unhappy" messages will accomplish anything. Is there is some way that we could post a public complaint about the process????

I don't think there is a next step to this current bill. The next step is to take a breather, and get to work on the next one.

"I'm so unhappy" messages to your own reps can help a bit. Getting the media to cover why so many bills died last night, and the utter unconcern of the reps about it, will result in reps getting a lot more "I'm so unhappy" messages from their constituents. This means, either they shape up, or lose the next election.

I agree with Amia, the Legislature meeting every two years is ridiculous! Why they think 140 days, every two years, is enough time to serve one of the largest states in the country, I don't know. As evidenced from last night, it obviously isn't. Heck! Even New Mexico meets every year!

goldenegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1954 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-pal

I wasn't able to watch, but am interested to know if I can go back and watch? After hearing all of this, I'm considering forwarding clips to my local news channel. I'm wondering what it'll do to the re-election chances for some of these folks.

If you have the clips, send them to the news, the session was already made public but the only problem is most of the general public didn't watch what went on, but they can be aware of it via the news and vote accordingly next election, if you have the clips please send them to the local news.

goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #1955 of 2039

I'll be working on my "dissatisfied" emails this weekend and prepping my "dissatisfied" script for phone calls as well to the reps and the news media, i'm glad J-pal brought that up I think it's a good path to take, there's already been political shadiness outed on the news lately here in SA town so this will just add fuel to the fire and hopefully spark some change. I'm not only going to make everyone aware of the shenanigans the members partake in during session but also stress the ridiculous deadlines and propose annual sessions as opposed to every 2 yrs, also re-org the calendar schedule. The more people that hop on this bandwagon the better! icon_biggrin.gif

goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1956 of 2039

If anyone's interested here's the list of all the members w/ their district and county, just click on a name and you will see all of their contact info http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.php

goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #1957 of 2039

If anyone's interested here's the list of all the members w/ their district and county, just click on a name and you will see all of their contact info http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/welcome.php

goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:10pm
post #1958 of 2039

sorry, dunno why it double posted icon_biggrin.gif

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:11pm
post #1959 of 2039

I checked in often last night but wasn't able to watch the feed as DH needed the computer. Thank you to all those that posted the step by step plays of our Reps!

And a big thanks goes out to Kelley, who without her we wouldn't even of had a bill in the first place! THANK YOU KELLEY for everything! Take a long relaxing break. You deserve one!

In two years we will hit our Reps harder. We have lots of time and we will be much more prepared to get our bill moving faster. Hopefully with more authors and sponsors too. My two little ones will be older then so hopefully I will be able to come to Austin with a moments notice.

A special thanks also goes out to Gattis! He is one great guy!

(((HUGS))) to all!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #1960 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

Quote:

Is there a "next step" that we need to do (or can do) as a group?

I don't think there is a next step to this current bill. The next step is to take a breather, and get to work on the next one.

I didn't mean for this bill - unfortunately this bill is dead. I meant as an individual or a group in either reaction to the current process/procedures or in preparation for next time.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #1961 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenegg

Thanks, goldenegg. I have an email from my Rep telling me that he would be supporting the bill, so that is the perfect place for me to start. "Thank you, Rep Brown. I spent the better part of three days watching the live feed and here are my thoughts ......." icon_mad.gif

higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:17pm
post #1962 of 2039
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks, goldenegg. I have an email from my Rep telling me that he would be supporting the bill, so that is the perfect place for me to start. "Thank you, Rep Brown. I spent the better part of three days watching the live feed and here are my thoughts ......." icon_mad.gif

he is my rep too - did he do silly stuff too? I couldn't watch.

mbt4955 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #1963 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by higginspeg

He was very professional the times that I saw him. I quit watching last night and just checked in now and then. That was hard enough. I can't imagine sitting there the whole time listening to them ... just couldn't do it.

higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1964 of 2039
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by higginspeg

He was very professional the times that I saw him. I quit watching last night and just checked in now and then. That was hard enough. I can't imagine sitting there the whole time listening to them ... just couldn't do it.

thank goodness. i sent an email to maria in his office here last night and eluded to the problems but also said that i had not heard that he was part of it. I think I would be terribly more distressed and likely to make an appointment to sit down in his office with him if I found out he had. martha, we have to get together!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:42pm
post #1965 of 2039

Thanks for the list goldenegg! That will make it much easier for me to send out my strongly worded emails!
Also, thanks for your help last night when I was trying to get the live feed. I was never able to do it, but I plan to go back through our posts and list some of the shenanigans that everyone griped about specifically in my emails. They should know that with the advent of the internet they WILL be held much more accountable for their in-session actions (or INactions.)

Spongebob2109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spongebob2109 Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1966 of 2039

Thanks Kelley for everthing you did. You have awaken a sleeping gaint. I don't think the House of Rep. knows who they are dealing with. I will be sending a letter to the Speaker of the House and to my local Reps. I will also ask all of the freinds, co-works and family to do the same. Kelley, please keep me on the email list and let me know when we need to start again. Thanks again for all of your hard work.

marag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marag Posted 15 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #1967 of 2039

I am so dissapointed as well. I can't believe how much of my week was spent checking updates on my computer. Thanks to everyone who did that. Also a huge thanks to Kelley! I am ready do do whatever I can for the next time.

I saw this article in the Houston Chronicle today about time running out on bills. While our bill is not referenced, I plan to contact the writers of this article with some reasons why this happened. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6425063.html

Mara

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #1968 of 2039

I wish that we had compiled a list, over the course of this process, that documented the behaviour, voting intention, etc. of each representative. It would have given us a way to mark our Texas maps showing the strong and weak areas for our bill.

If a rep. was professional and helpful for HB3282, they would be shown in a positive manner on the map.

If they were unprofessional, unconcerned, intended to vote no, etc., they should be red flagged for the future. It would show us where we need to concentrate some attention.

Honey does attract more flies than vinegar, so a "let me help you understand", educational approach might be needed.

I do feel the reps should become aware that we were not happy over all the wasted time, but we should keep in mind that we will probably be dealing with each of them in the future.
Yes, yes, I know each one of us wants to give some of them a swift kick in the seat of the pants. Just do so with Southern charm, tact, and military precision.

We do however, need to win over the undecided, unconcerned or those just plain obstinate. This could take time, so over the course of the next 2 years, the more that can be done to make a positive difference, the easier it will be to move us one step closer to future victory.

-Debbie B.

goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #1969 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by marag

I saw this article in the Houston Chronicle today about time running out on bills. While our bill is not referenced, I plan to contact the writers of this article with some reasons why this happened. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6425063.html

Mara

Thanks for the link marag, check out the comments below the article too, we're definitely not the only ones who noticed how much they slacked off. I really like this one icon_biggrin.gif "Make them stay and finish their jobs or don't pay them for the year..."

DebBTX Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:08pm
post #1970 of 2039
Quote:

I really like this one icon_biggrin.gif "Make them stay and finish their jobs or don't pay them for the year..."[/quote]

I believe they should stay and finish what they have started.
Who knows how many worthy bills were allowed to "die on the vine". I wish they had the courage to either vote yes, or vote no.

No games, just thoughtful results.

-Debbie B.

higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1971 of 2039

It seems to me if they are going use the energy and time to put something on the calendar, they should be staying until the scheduled events have been addressed. The way it works now, it does not appear that everyone has an equal voice when circumstances cause a bill to be placed on bottom of the calendar. I believe that if the committee votes them out with a no as the majority, then the bill would probably have the same issue once it got to the floor, which is why the don't make it to the Calendar. If they vote yes unanimously - should definitely be addressed on the Calendar. If they vote divided, it should be placed on the calendar. I mean, it's just that simple. Why is it so complicated on Capitol Hill?

AuntEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntEm Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1972 of 2039

Please keep in mind that not all the reps wasted time. If you look down through the list of all of them, some of them I didn't see even once. I never saw my rep asking question and wasting time except on his own bill.
I think there were about 10 or so reps that wasted everyone's time. As the system works if a few clowns want to bring everything to a grinding halt they can. It stinks but that is the way it works.
All I'm saying is there is no reason to send blistering emails to every single rep. A few like mister point of order, I think his name has Harold Dutton, deserve some mad emails. I do think that they all deserve emails letting them know how we feel but I don't think they ought to be personal to every rep.
Just my two cents

goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1973 of 2039

For reference or just to watch if you missed, here is a list of all the archived video feed for this year's session http://www.house.state.tx.us/media/chamber/81.htm

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goldenegg Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:02pm
post #1975 of 2039
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntEm

Please keep in mind that not all the reps wasted time. If you look down through the list of all of them, some of them I didn't see even once. I never saw my rep asking question and wasting time except on his own bill.
I think there were about 10 or so reps that wasted everyone's time. As the system works if a few clowns want to bring everything to a grinding halt they can. It stinks but that is the way it works.
All I'm saying is there is no reason to send blistering emails to every single rep. A few like mister point of order, I think his name has Harold Dutton, deserve some mad emails. I do think that they all deserve emails letting them know how we feel but I don't think they ought to be personal to every rep.
Just my two cents

I completely agree, speaking for myself my intention is not to make personal attacks on any of the reps, not even the clowns, but more to make all of them aware that they are being watched by the general public who are their voters and certain behavior is unacceptable under the circumstances. My main goal is to raise awareness for everyone because the more who are aware the more the reps will be conscious of what they're doing and how they're behaving so if they want to get re-elected they better prove to us that we can count on them to do their job. It's easy to get heated and start spitting fireballs but rarely (if ever) does that accomplish anything, the best thing to do is stay as professional as possible when using words whether it be email or phone and broadcast your stance in every way you are capable so that more people can join in to fight the good fight icon_biggrin.gif

DebBTX Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #1976 of 2039

I would like to bake some cookies or a cake for my rep. when he arrives back in our area.

No, it is not a bribe. icon_lol.gif

They say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. It also has a great effect on their minds. I suggest Chocolate Fudge for the women. thumbs_up.gif

-Debbie B.

higginspeg Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1977 of 2039
Quote:

I am so glad that they had such a good time on our dime. I'm thankful for their sense of humor. I'm glad they found it funny that they did not complete their job, nor did they do a good one.

ROLLING PINS AT ARMS! KITCHEN TIMERS CHECKED! Tick tock people, time has run out on the how funny is this clock.

OMG - My blood pressure just jumped up, my face is flushed, and man am I ever pissed off! Maybe we should forward the video to the Governor's office and let him know how much we appreciate the "good" job they've been doing under his leadership. DIdn't I hear a woman was opposing him in the upcoming elections? I'm think Gov Perry's time might be done as well in my book, and quite honestly, I don't care what party the other candidate represents, I think I've had enough.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1978 of 2039

I really don't intend to censure each and every rep, I simply want them to know that we are watching and such gross negligence of their duties as a group of legislators has not and will not go unnoticed.

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1979 of 2039

I'm so bummed. icon_sad.gif

I just found the introduction that started it all. Thanks, so much for everything that was tried.

http://www.house.state.tx.us/news/release.php?id=2628
COMMITTEE HEARS REP. GATTIS BILL ALLOWING SALE OF HOME BAKED GOODS

For Immediate Release
Friday, March 27, 2009

Before the Committee on Public Health today, Representative Gattis discussed his bill allowing for the production of baked goods in an individual's home. He introduced HB 3282, the Cottage Food Production Act, after being contacted by a constituent from Cedar Park who wanted to see a change in the law. Kelley Masters wrote Representative Gattis seeking assistance so individuals such as herself could legally sell baked goods made in their home. In addition to hearing from Mrs. Masters, Gattis received numerous calls and a signed petition from more than 2,000 Texans supporting such legislation.

"The cottage food production bill is about encouraging entrepreneurship among individuals who want to legally sell their baked goods. A number of successful businesses began in people's homes, from Microsoft and Dell, to Paula Dean and Tiff's Treats. This bill provides a starting place for bakers in Texas to earn some additional income and opens the doors for additional successful businesses in the future," Representative Gattis said.

Specifically, HB 3282 changes the Health and Safety Code to allow the sale of baked goods produced in an individual's home. Cottage food production operations have to comply with certain regulations that are meant to ensure safety without placing unrealistic burdens on home bakers. A cottage food production operation must first register with the State, place labels on products as being "Home Produced," complete a basic food safety education or training program that is certified by the state, pay minimal registration fees, and are subject to inspections.

Currently ten other states have similar legislation allowing for the sale of non-hazardous baked goods that are made the in residential kitchens. States with laws currently on the books regarding this topic are: Iowa, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Utah, and Virginia.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 15 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #1980 of 2039

This is the email I just sent out, but I want to post it here too.

Quote:
Quote:

By now most of you are very aware that HB 3282, along with almost 200 other bills, died on the calendar at the stroke of midnight last night.

I will not try to pretend that I am not disappointed. I am devastated that so much hard work, and our hopes and dreams, were dashed by a legislature that was inefficient, wasteful, and showed absolutely no sense of urgency until about 15 minutes before the deadline. Our bill was not the only good bill that died. The State of Texas lost last night.

HB 3282 was on the calendar for Monday 5/11. It should have made it in time. At the stroke of midnight, they were still debating bills on last Fridays (5/icon_cool.gif calendar.

As disappointing as this result is, I would like us to try to set aside our disgust and focus on our VICTORY. We, a grass roots movement, got a bill drafted, got a public hearing for it, got it unanimously voted out of committee, and placed on the general calendar. We did it without lobbyists, without campaign donations, and without the support of any major organization. In fact, we did it in the face of MASSIVE opposition from powerful lobbies such as the Texas Restaurant Association, the Texas Retailers Organization, and the Texas Association of Public Health Professionals.

I want to give my thanks to every person out there who called, wrote a letter, sent a fax or an email, met with their Representative, or raised a little hell. I did not do this alone.

This was not the end, it was only the beginning. This is the crack that will eventually break the dam. Next time we will be more prepared, we will have more contacts, our Representatives will be aware of this issue, and we will start earlier.

We have opened the door, and inevitably, we WILL pass a Cottage Food Law in Texas. It is our birthright as Americans and Texans to have a safe and legal home business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%